Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AddressPal & Lockers - An Post's Parcel Service SEE MOD WARNING FIRST POST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Well, that was easy... I sent on the print outs of the end price incl postage and the payment receipt, and my parcel is now in Dublin and on the way to me.

Dunno why the printout in the box wasn't good enough for them, but hey ho!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I wonder are customs being deliberately awkward for some of these shipments. Some of the examples above would have me scratching my head - £5 value+ £5 shipping + €6.50 AP fee. Shipping alone is over twice the value of the product. Maybe it's just getting people used to the idea of 1st July when the €22 lower limit is scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Don't know why people are bothering with this crap still.
    Easier to deal with a seller that sends directly to Ireland and puts the document on the outside of the box.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I wonder are customs being deliberately awkward for some of these shipments. Some of the examples above would have me scratching my head - £5 value+ £5 shipping + €6.50 AP fee. Shipping alone is over twice the value of the product. Maybe it's just getting people used to the idea of 1st July when the €22 lower limit is scrapped.

I reckon they're just opening everything destined for Ireland and estimating values on pre-owned items that bear no relationship to cost, despite the cost being made clear on the invoice in the box. Utter waste of everyone's time and un-necessary delay injected into the delivery lead-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

For the USA end of it and someone who would ideally like to pick it up in the post office. Can that still be done and how does it work?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The link to how the UK and US work is on the first post in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

whiterebel wrote: »
    The link to how the UK and US work is on the first post in the thread.

The virtual address can no longer be used has me confused as hell.

After parcel has been process you can: the various options.

Does that mean they first attempt to deliver to your home address which I dont want.

Or they email and say we have it what do you want us to do with it.

I have read it. Still confused or am I just brain dead?? 🀔

A Post office cannot be used as the address. They need to have your correct address to invoice to. When it arrives in they will text you with a choice of what to do for the delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Placed an order with Amazon US a couple of days ago for 7 different items with delivery to Addresspal in Jersey. Sadly after an Amazon CSR told me it would all go in 1 shipment they then decided to spilt it into 5 shipments which would have meant 5 x €16 = €80 Addresspal charge and thats before Irish taxes.

Does anyone know of a cheap US consolidation service which will consolidate multiple Amazon packages into 1 then ship on to Addresspal to go to Ireland? Cheers.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

Placed an order with Amazon US a couple of days ago for 7 different items with delivery to Addresspal in Jersey. Sadly after an Amazon CSR told me it would all go in 1 shipment they then decided to spilt it into 5 shipments which would have meant 5 x €16 = €80 Addresspal charge and thats before Irish taxes.

Does anyone know of a cheap US consolidation service which will consolidate multiple Amazon packages into 1 then ship on to Addresspal to go to Ireland? Cheers.

https://www.shipito.com/en/ will do this for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gussieg

got my sandals. best thing was the sticker on the bag which said : You are a legend, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blinked_Missed It

Spocker wrote: »
    https://www.shipito.com/en/ will do this for you

Thanks Spocker. Will have a gander.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Snowcast

Stackry are another one. They offer shipping to tax-free states also.

Shipito as mentioned before have a charge for shipping to a tax-free state.

I've used both and personally prefer Stackry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

Snowcast wrote: »
    Stackry are another one. They offer shipping to tax-free states also.

Shipito as mentioned before have a charge for shipping to a tax-free state.

I've used both and personally prefer Stackry.

The shipping depends on the retailer. I think Shipito have a better website but goods have to travel to California or Oregon before heading for Europe. They will consolidate several packages. Try to use USPS economy and keep the weight under 4 pounds. Alas there is no cheap way of shopping from the US unless you know somebody there who will ship for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Snowcast

recipio wrote: »
    The shipping depends on the retailer. I think Shipito have a better website but goods have to travel to California or Oregon before heading for Europe. They will consolidate several packages. Try to use USPS economy and keep the weight under 4 pounds. Alas there is no cheap way of shopping from the US unless you know somebody there who will ship for you.
    I wasn't aware of that. I thought with Shipito that you had to have the premium membership in order to receive a shipping address in a tax-free state? I may be wrong in that though, it's been a while since I have used them.

Yes it is somewhat expensive and unless the item(s) you want are completely unavailable in Europe, it probably isn't worth ordering from the US considering all the charges (shipping, customs ect.) that you'll incur when importing from the US.

Snowcast wrote: »
    I wasn't aware of that. I thought with Shipito that you had to have the premium membership in order to receive a shipping address in a tax-free state? I may be wrong in that though, it's been a while since I have used them.

No. I have both addresses and as far as I know only Oregon is tax free. I don't recall being charged any state tax in California. I try to find shops in the US that have free shipping ( within the US ) or a least a discount code. I only use it now for light items that I simply can't find in Europe and avoid the couriers at all cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blowin3

I will not be using this basically scam service again. I bought a second hand item from Ebay for £11.20 post £2 got a valuation from customs valuation value 38 euros. I appealed showing invoicing etc have been told there is an investigation but I want the item now pay the customs or wait for their investigation conclusion. I told to shove it up their scamming ass will not be using them again.

blowin3 wrote: »
    I will not be using this basically scam service again. I bought a second hand item from Ebay for £11.20 post £2 got a valuation from customs valuation value 38 euros. I appealed showing invoicing etc have been told there is an investigation but I want the item now pay the customs or wait for their investigation conclusion. I told to shove it up their scamming ass will not be using them again.

You should have an online receipt from Ebay. Just forward it to ecommquerychargequery@anpost.com and ask them to review the charges. Alas charges are due even on second hand items entering the state.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Well, that was easy... I sent on the print outs of the end price incl postage and the payment receipt, and my parcel is now in Dublin and on the way to me.

Dunno why the printout in the box wasn't good enough for them, but hey ho!

Aaaaand then??

Nothing! No move at all! Tracking says "We have your delivery" on 20th May. No movement at all since.. It reminds me of all those movies where the kidnappers say "We have your daughter..." The " Pay up or else" doesn't even need saying...

So, here's the timeine so far:

Item received by AP & €6.50 charged: May 17
    Invalid customs charge e-mail to me: May 17
    My reply, complete with invoice/receipt: May 17
    An Post e-mail saying parcel.now with them: May 19
    Reply from ecommquery- "Being Processed": May 20

Nothing since, despite a reminder e-mail.

Did you get your item? I'm in the same boat. "We have your delivery" for the last week after I appealed their incorrect valuation.

• Advertisement

Did you get your item? I'm in the same boat. "We have your delivery" for the last week after I appealed their incorrect valuation.

No move at all since 20th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Good to know someone wins the argument on the appeal.Well Done.

Arrived today.. 14 days in An Post's Customs Jail!

Just don't use AddressPal to ship anything even close to perishability, or you could end up with a right mess on your hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Athassleabbey

Did you get your item in the end? Was your item held in their dublin hub? I’m currently disputing a customs charge, and have emailed ecommcharge a few days ago but heard nothing, and when I track it, it’s in Dublin hub, customer service is so slow

Did you get your item in the end? Was your item held in their dublin hub? I’m currently disputing a customs charge, and have emailed ecommcharge a few days ago but heard nothing, and when I track it, it’s in Dublin hub, customer service is so slow

As far as I can see, items are evaluated in UK and Customs Charges raised that basically ignore any receipts/invoices in the box, and AP member notified of Customs charges. The package continues on to Dublin where, once it gets into the place identified as DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12 on their tracking, it stops there while re-assessment takes place, assuming the AP member sends in appropriate proofs (basically what was already in the box). For me, it spends a little 14-day holiday there while the 're-assessment' takes place, and if accepted, it is released from its captivity.

What an exercise in sheer futility, with all this faffing about with inflated valuations that, when challenged, are reversed assuming good documentation.

Once July comes and everything coming into An Post will have to be cleared, I expect it will all grind to a complete halt. It simply can't make economic sense to be having a Customs presence in Dublin, engaged in this bureaucracy when, in the end they might collect a couple of Euro.

Mike O'Leary's term 'Bolloxology' is an eloquent way of describing this bureaucracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Athassleabbey

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    As far as I can see, items are evaluated in UK and Customs Charges raised that basically ignore any receipts/invoices in the box, and AP member notified of Customs charges. The package continues on to Dublin where, once it gets into the place identified as DUBLIN PARCEL HUB, DUBLIN 12 on their tracking, it stops there while re-assessment takes place, assuming the AP member sends in appropriate proofs (basically what was already in the box). For me, it spends a little 14-day holiday there while the 're-assessment' takes place, and if accepted, it is released from its captivity.

What an exercise in sheer futility, with all this faffing about with inflated valuations that, when challenged, are reversed assuming good documentation.

Once July comes and everything coming into An Post will have to be cleared, I expect it will all grind to a complete halt. It simply can't make economic sense to be having a Customs presence in Dublin, engaged in this bureaucracy when, in the end they might collect a couple of Euro.

Mike O'Leary's term 'Bolloxology' is an eloquent way of describing this bureaucracy.

I agree, it’s a complete waste of time, with packages held up in warehouses for extreme lengths of time, I suppose I’ll be waiting a while for e-comm to get back to me, it’s a right mess, thanks for getting back to me

No. It's only been "we have your delivery" since the 31st of May. Judging by TomOnBoards post I won't get it for another week at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Smurf123

Hi, I need some advice.

There is an item on Italist.com that I want to purchase but that item won't ship to Ireland. It can deliver to UK so I'm thinking of using AddressPal. The item is around 450 euro so I'm wondering would I be paying any custom fees to bring it from UK to Ireland ?

They have this on their website "Every purchase includes customs duties and free express shipping worldwide, so you will not need to pay additional fees upon receipt of your imported item."

Smurf123 wrote: »
    Hi, I need some advice.

There is an item on Italist.com that I want to purchase but that item won't ship to Ireland. It can deliver to UK so I'm thinking of using AddressPal. The item is around 450 euro so I'm wondering would I be paying any custom fees to bring it from UK to Ireland ?

They have this on their website "Every purchase includes customs duties and free express shipping worldwide, so you will not need to pay additional fees upon receipt of your imported item."

Once received by A.P., all relationships with the sender will cease, and it will become a parcel sent by A.P. to you in Irl. The contents value (plus shipping by Italist to UK, plus shipping by A.P. From U.K. to you in Irl) will be assessed for whatever customs duty and VAT the parcel contents attract according to the normal customs/VAT regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Received a customs fee notification on 28th April for a €7 item shipped from the UK and which customs valued at €15 and billed me for €8.95 VAT and fees. I appealed the valuation and sent them the required documents to prove the actual cost of the item but almost a month later, I still had not heard anything so sent them an email asking if my item could be re-evaluated. I received an email back on 26th May to say "re-evaluations are taking longer than originally anticipated. We are working through a backlog and aim to have the re-evaluation of your item complete at the soonest date".

It is now 11th June so they have had my lousy €7 package for over 6 weeks! I mean that is ridiculous!

Does anyone know of any appeals, higher body, that I can go through to get my package released?

Advertisement