Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Aphex Twin

1111213141517»

Comments

I've been interested in owning a bass station II having previously owned all of the other iterations of the bass station. It's a great sounding synth and this new version looks great and has some very interesting features, I'm just not sure if it justifies the higher price of €437 though....

jiltloop wrote: »
    I've been interested in owning a bass station II having previously owned all of the other iterations of the bass station. It's a great sounding synth and this new version looks great and has some very interesting features, I'm just not sure if it justifies the higher price of €437 though....

I'm always curious when people own multiple synths. Pardon the naivety, but aren't they all roughly the same? I recently bought a Moog Mother-32, knowing next to nothing about synths but what it seems to be is a tool for taking electric current and manipulating it to make weird sounds. As I type this I guess that's what any electric instrument does but :confused:

I'm always curious when people own multiple synths. Pardon the naivety, but aren't they all roughly the same? I recently bought a Moog Mother-32, knowing next to nothing about synths but what it seems to be is a tool for taking electric current and manipulating it to make weird sounds. As I type this I guess that's what any electric instrument does but :confused:

They're roughly the same in the same way cars are roughly the same, i.e they all can make music (get from A to B for the car analogy) but they do it differently.

There are certainly bread and butter bass and lead sounds that nearly all synths are capable of covering but each has it's own character, modulation possibilities (which can bring you to experimental places leading you to sounds you couldn't have made with another synth) and timbre.

Much like guitars I suppose, they all pretty much get played the same but they sound different and are capable of different ranges of tones depending on whether they're acoustic, electric, solid body, steel body etc, then of course there can be different pick-ups whammy bars etc.

I haven't played with the Moog Mother-32 but I know it's a semi modular synth (i.e a synth where you can change the hard wired routing) and as such it is very easy to go off the beaten track as it were when experimenting with patching.

Incidently the bass station would be a better first synth to get to grips with as the layout and routing is fairly traditional and intuitive.

Aphex Twin Sells NFT Artwork for $128,000

Aphex Twin has sold a graphic artwork in NFT form, earning Ethereum currency equivalent to roughly $128,392.56 at the time of sale. Announcing his entrance to the controversial digital marketplace, Richard D. James said he would spend “a portion of the money on planting trees and either donating to permaculture projects or setting them up ourselves, depending on how much we get.” The auction closed Sunday night (March 14), at a price of 72.00 ETH.

https://pitchfork.com/news/aphex-twin-sells-nft-artwork-for-128000/

Any love for James Holden or Nathan Fake out there, would put them in same category to an extent with Aphex Twin, Jon Hopkins, Four Tet and Daniel Avery etc.

I wouldn't put Aphex and Four Tet too close tbh.