Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ghostbusters Afterlife (Jason Reitman)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,834 ✭✭✭✭Basq

.. I’m someone who believes the 2016 film is ‘fine’ rather than a war crime..
    Ironic given the uproar of a female reboot.. but let's face it, Hemsworth stole the show.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Ghostbusters: The Video Game is still the best Ghostbusters sequel by far!

Written by Aykroyd and Ramis and will all the original actors as voice actors, it's brilliant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's a good story but man oh man, the actors (and especially Murray) couldn't have sounded less bored & disinterested if they tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i'm covering my eyes and ears with the blasphemy i'm reading , IM ALL IN
    ghostbusters is my favourite movies , ghostbusters 2 is a nice Christmas movie , the 2016 movie considering the talent involved was terrible
    i can't wait to see this movie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

There were marshmellows release after the 80s films, probably the same again here.

Very Gremlins-esque

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

py2006 wrote: »

that scene shows that its going to be more cutsie than the original

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

So here’s some of the plot of the movie.
    On retirement or however the original ghostbusters wound up, Egon moved his gear to the town featured in the movie. The mine has a link with Gozer and the original apartment building. It’s a portal so Egon sets up equipment to keep in check. Slimer, or a Slimer inspired ghost, is either guarding or haunting the mine. The kids find it and the chase scene in the trailer is the kids pursuing Slimer. Obviously the portal becomes unstable thus drawing whoever is left from the original ghostbusters

I realise this isn’t a complete synopsis but it comes from a crew member and it’s all he’d give me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭ThePott

That sounds about right, the mine is named the Shandor mine (I think) which is named for Ivo Shandor who is mentioned in the original as being in Tobin's Spirit Guid and as the architect of Dana's apartment.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

faceman wrote: »
    "Ghostbusters Day? :rolleyes:

i'm not questioning it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hey, it's not even the most obnoxious attempts at marketing; let's not forget the "Ghost Corps" idea that was meant to have a shared universe of spinoffs, launched by the 2016 reboot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭ThePott

Ghostbusters Day has actually been a thing for the last few years. June 8th is the anniversary of the release of the original.

Obviously manipulative promotion (Jason's patter coming off a little forced), but comes with some behind the scenes footage for anyone interested. Is weird to listen to the 1984 film spoken about as a cherished childhood item, when the original was quite adult in its humour (blowjob jokes n' all).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭coolisin

Im still excited for this, as the cherished child hood memories and growing old, not getting any of the blow job/adult humour as a kid!
    Maybe its just the Im looking forward to cinemas and new content I want to see :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

coolisin wrote: »
    Im still excited for this, as the cherished child hood memories and growing old, not getting any of the blow job/adult humour as a kid!
    Maybe its just the Im looking forward to cinemas and new content I want to see :D

Me too. I’m looking forward to bringing my children to see a proper ghostbusters movie on the big screen. Don’t care if it’s mostly copy and paste of GB1 , if it manages to find the right tone and charm of original. Paul Rudd is a solid lead for me. Actually loved him in Mute (always love seeing funny people do movies agaisnt the grain)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,046 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Can't even get a glimmer of excitement up for this TBH. It all just looks like it's trying to do 'Ghostbusters' in a 'Stranger Things'/'It' fashion.

But, it's odd. For me 'Ghostbusters' was just another film of the 80's. It's like 'Trading Places' or 'The Karate Kid'. I never got that it was a "franchise"...ugh, I hate that fucking word. It was a great little film that was the hit of the Christmas 1984, along with 'Gremlins'. But all it had was one very mediocre sequel and a couple of naff cartoons that didn't do anything for me, even as a kid.

I spose I'll just never get the hype about it and there's nothing about this film that seems to be changing that.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Can't even get a glimmer of excitement up for this TBH. It all just looks like it's trying to do 'Ghostbusters' in a 'Stranger Things'/'It' fashion.

But, it's odd. For me 'Ghostbusters' was just another film of the 80's. It's like 'Trading Places' or 'The Karate Kid'. I never got that it was a "franchise"...ugh, I hate that fucking word. It was a great little film that was the hit of the Christmas 1984, along with 'Gremlins'. But all it had was one very mediocre sequel and a couple of naff cartoons that didn't do anything for me, even as a kid.

I spose I'll just never get the hype about it and there's nothing about this film that seems to be changing that.

If you don’t watch the mediums where there is hype , it doesn’t bother you ;)

I actually watched the cartoons as a child. Also have fond memories of my dad bringing me to GB2, I’m looking forward to doing the same with my children. The occasion can make a movie better, I get such a buzz off watching things with my children.

Trading places is a classic. Few funnier scenes then when your man is on the phone and he says “hold on... f**k off” to the person waiting!

There was a minor link to coming to America if I remember correctly where the two old lads who had lost all their money were bums on the street and given money by the Prince. Not quite a franchise , more a nod I suppose.

Drumpot wrote: »
    If you don’t watch the mediums where there is hype , it doesn’t bother you ;)

It's usually all hype these days.
    I actually watched the cartoons as a child. Also have fond memories of my dad bringing me to GB2

And this is the problem with Ghostbusters. It's just an empty machine based entirely on a nostalgic experience. I have fond memories of my mother bringing me to see the first one. But absolutely nothing else since has even come close to that as far as Ghostbusters is concerned. It was a flash in the pan, never to be repeated and no matter how hard they try, they'll never repeat it. 'Ghostbusters' is the epitome of that right place/right time vibe.
    Trading places is a classic. Few funnier scenes then when your man is on the phone and he says “hold on... f**k off” to the person waiting!

Yeh, 'Trading Places' is a genuinely great film. I'm a video era kid, so those great 80's films were things I grew up on. Thing is, a lot of them are still great, without the need to suck a lifeless "franchise" out of them. Or maybe because of it.

It's a pity that 'Ghostbusters' didn't stay that way.

Speaking of 1984, I've also heard on the grapevine that there's some serious desire to reboot 'Gremlins' as a movie. They're probably waiting to see how the TV show gets on.

That'll probably suck worse than a $2 hooker.

• Advertisement

It's usually all hype these days.

And this is the problem with Ghostbusters. It's just an empty machine based entirely on a nostalgic experience. I have fond memories of my mother bringing me to see the first one. But absolutely nothing else since has even come close to that as far as Ghostbusters is concerned. It was a flash in the pan, never to be repeated and no matter how hard they try, they'll never repeat it. 'Ghostbusters' is the epitome of that right place/right time vibe.

Yeh, 'Trading Places' is a genuinely great film. I'm a video era kid, so those great 80's films were things I grew up on. Thing is, a lot of them are still great, without the need to suck a lifeless "franchise" out of them. Or maybe because of it.

It's a pity that 'Ghostbusters' didn't stay that way.

Speaking of 1984, I've also heard on the grapevine that there's some serious desire to reboot 'Gremlins' as a movie. They're probably waiting to see how the TV show gets on.

That'll probably suck worse than a $2 hooker.

Big trouble in little China , one of my favourites.

Watched predator with my son recently and he loved it. Watched all the predator movies and he said it himself, the first was the best.

Gremlins seems kind of like lightening in a bottle movie. 2nd was bad to be fair, even though I kinda enjoyed it as a young boy, it’s a bad movie. GB2 isn’t great either but I let nostalgia engulf my sentiments towards it!

I don’t see how that can be reasonably updated as I always remember the original being a horror , but you’d expect an updated one to target PG which wouldn’t work. Unless it works like Alien v predator that made the most of those franchises (I think).

I have to kinda agree with that. Ghostbusters for me is as much about New York City as it is about anything else.

This has a very different setting in what appears to be a small town in middle america which kids.

Having said that, I am slightly more excited for this than I was for the one recently that doesn't even deserve a mention.

Ghostbusters as a variation of "Stranger Things" is fine with me and arguably a pretty good approach for a sequel IMO; I know the Netflix show has burned out its goodwill through over-exposure, but " kids investigate spookiness in small-town America" is a pretty solid, engaging story format that connects well with the Ghostbusters world. Especially in a "passing the torch" approach, which seems to be the main vibe going on here. Ok, not very "New York" but apart from anything else that version of NY doesn't exist anymore anyway.

When done right, a bunch of (usually outcast) kids pursuing a mystery in their home town is an excellent slice of entertainment that has never gone out of fashion since the days of Enid Blyton. I'm not convinced Sony will simply let this film BE mind you, and will probably interfere to the point of it becoming just another mush of CGI - but the bones of a good sequel are there.

The thing about these long awaited sequels of much loved movies is that those making them almost NEVER listen to the fans. Even recently they didn't even listen to the original and returning cast members (Hamill) who knew what the fans wanted.

Most of us who are fans of the original would love to see the original guys suit up and gear up one last time. Perhaps to save the day (pardon the pun) at the end of the movie with the kids being up against it.

The thing about these long awaited sequels of much loved movies is that those making them almost NEVER listen to the fans. Even recently they didn't even listen to the original and returning cast members (Hamill) who knew what the fans wanted.

Most of us who are fans of the original would love to see the original guys suit up and gear up one last time. Perhaps to save the day (pardon the pun) at the end of the movie with the kids being up against it.

Well count me as one of those fans who wouldn't like that idea: not just Ghostbusters either, but I just don't find appealing the idea of beloved actors shuffling about in their old costumes, old and greying - and in this case, missing one of their colleagues :( Same with Indy, Han Solo, captain Picard, Dr Who (Tom Baker briefly revised his role) etc. etc. Sometimes it works when their age is part of the story, such as the recent Rocky sequels, and to be fair "Picard" kinda played with the captain's obscelescence.

It's just ... I dunno, really sad and what makes these characters iconic is a kind of immortality; we might age but they won't. There will always be infinite stories these characters can have in our minds ... unless you have a sequel film reminding us just how old and doddery they have become :(

I think with "franchises" (GB not much of a franchise) the legacy issue makes it impossible for the studio to please everybody. Look at Indy, many just do not want another Indiana Jones but they are using the original actor. I do not know if Indiana movie works without Ford or a full reboot. and while fans want neither, we are getting one regardless.

GB doing it differently is not a problem for me and I think it sort of makes sense. It wouldn't have Egon (or worse a CGI version of him!) and I cant think of too many "our favorite characters get back together for more fun" movies that are good after such a long break between movies. Maybe not fair to compare it to comedies, but Dumb and Dumber 2 and Zoolander 2 among others, show that coming making sequels decades after the original is not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I feel exactly the same way. They may as well be rebooting Short Circuit. Although come to think of it...

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I feel exactly the same way. They may as well be rebooting Short Circuit. Although come to think of it...

Watched that recently with the kids, they enjoyed it..

I bet Fischer Stephens is praying they do not reboot it or he will have to apologize for playing an Indian person like Hank Azaria. :pac:

Gremlins seems kind of like lightening in a bottle movie. 2nd was bad to be fair, even though I kinda enjoyed it as a young boy, it’s a bad movie. GB2 isn’t great either but I let nostalgia engulf my sentiments towards it!

I don’t see how that can be reasonably updated as I always remember the original being a horror , but you’d expect an updated one to target PG which wouldn’t work. Unless it works like Alien v predator that made the most of those franchises (I think).

There's a 4 quadrant blandness that's at the heart of why so many films fail these days and something like the original 'Gremlins' (count me in as someone who didn't like the 2nd movie) would never work today.

Joe Dante cut his teeth on horror and loves the genre, so he infused 'Gremlins' with an ounce or two of it and it works. 'Gremlins' is a product of a small collaboration (much like 'Ghostbusters') and because of that limited input, remains a clear vision.

If made today, or rebooted, it would be the product of an army of "producers" who'll rely on "data" before the first camera even rolls and we'll, more than likely, end up with a bloody mess.

That being said, I haven't seen the TV show. So there may be a chance yet that at least that's ok. But with the sheer amount of failed reboots and sequels it's hard to keep any kind of optimism at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Watched that recently with the kids, they enjoyed it..

I bet Fischer Stephens is praying they do not reboot it or he will have to apologize for playing an Indian person like Hank Azaria. :pac:

He already has apologised! Aziz Ansari has specifically mentioned that character in various shows and interviews etc. The two ended up having a chat about it and Ansari was pretty forgiving... kinda saw it as a naïve young actor needing work in an unenlightened time. He definitely doesn't hold a grudge towards Stevens.

Advertisement