Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best second hand EV under 20k?

Options
  • 09-06-2021 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm shopping around for an EV as a second car. The intention is that it would become the primary car for the family (there's four of us) and our Mondeo would only get wheeled out for long trips / when the two of us need to be in different places. I have an absolute max budget of 20k. Ideally I'd like to get something that still has some warranty on the battery and with 150km of range.

In searching around there appears to be a lot of 30kw Leafs, a few 40kw Zoes and a handful of 28kw Ioniqs.

I took a Zoe for a test drive and wasn't crazy about the ride - could feel every bump on the road. Also, 90% of the second hand ones seem to be white :( (although, as my son pointed out, you can't seem the colour from the inside :D). So for me it's a straight shootout between the Leaf and the Ioniq.

The Leafs seems to offer the best value in terms of spec - can get a 2017 30kw with 6.6kw charger for <15k. But I'm concerned about the Chademo charging. I got stuck with a Betamax player back in the day (and a HD-DVD player, now I think about it) and I don't want to end up with an EOL technology.

The Ioniqs are the dearest option with the smallest battery (although they seem to be quite energy efficient). The older models seem to have lots of nice tech - so that's a plus. But, at the end of the day there's 4-5k difference between a 2017 Leaf and a 2017 Ioniq. Is it a price worth paying?

Just wondering what people's thoughts / experiences are with any of the above. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

IONIQ28.

/thread

The ioniq28 has similar range to the leaf 40, not the leaf30. There isnt a comparison between a leaf 30 and an Ioniq, if they are the same price the ioniq is a no brainer.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

remoteboy wrote: »
    But, at the end of the day there's 4-5k difference between a 2017 Leaf and a 2017 Ioniq. Is it a price worth paying?

the market does not lie.

If the Leaf was the better car, the price difference would be opposite to what it is...

also, I know you've pretty much decided against a Zoe, but if it does come back into play, you need to ensure you get a battery owned one and not a battery leased version, as then there'll be a monthly rental cost to factor in....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭eagerv

As others have mentioned, I think the Ioniq 28 is a terrific second hand buy. Should be able to get a 2018 within budget (I am a bit out of touch with prices, so stand to be corrected).
    Ok, a bit biassed, it was our first EV. Still a very capable car, with plenty of room and great spec. Drives well with great efficiency. And heat pump as standard. Boot not the biggest, but perfectly adequate for most..
    Many came into Ireland in white, I think suits the car. Ours came with a fancy paint protection and always seems to look clean (We are rural). Even the rain seems to wash it.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Did you not consider the BMW I3? 2017 94ah's are moving into that budget now and they are little bit funky and great fun to drive. Its our primary family car and if we need to separate me and the wife fight over who gets the I3.

Not as efficient (on motorway) or as much load space as the Ioniq but bigger than you expect and can squeeze out massive range for the battery size on R roads or under 100kmph on the motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭remoteboy

krissovo wrote: »
    Did you not consider the BMW I3? 2017 94ah's are moving into that budget now and they are little bit funky and great fun to drive. Its our primary family car and if we need to separate me and the wife fight over who gets the I3.

Not as efficient (on motorway) or as much load space as the Ioniq but bigger than you expect and can squeeze out massive range for the battery size on R roads or under 100kmph on the motorway.

I did look at a few - they’re very nice - but need more range tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

You'll get the odd LEAF 40kWh at that price for private sales these days, so that might enter the equation. E.g. https://www.carsireland.ie/2837117
    40k on clock, mid-spec UK import, but there are several options there. Would look for less than 60k on clock.

Price options would be 2018 L40 for 19k+, Ioniq for 17-18k, L30 for 14-15k. The Ioniq is probably the value point based on spec and range.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

krissovo wrote: »
    Did you not consider the BMW I3?
    remoteboy wrote: »
    I did look at a few - they’re very nice - but need more range tbh.

Then get one with a range extender. The 94ah will do your 150km of range the majority of the time unless you hoof it, and for the odd occasion you're caught short the generator will make up the difference. Something tells me you'd get a 162 model for about €17k.

I can conclusively say beyond all reproach that Zoes, Leafs and Ioniqs are all crap heaps and the i3 REx is the absolute best option for you. You'd be stark raving mad not to buy the one I'm selling...

;)

Aside from that, I'd also back the Ioniq from the other options. I have a deep mistrust of Leafs (every generation seems to have an issue) and I've just never liked the Zoe. The Ioniq is a fine car and super efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,563 ✭✭✭zg3409

The ioniq has unusually good range for the size battery. It can do 150km nearly all year round at motorway speeds. It typically has more range than 40kWh leaf. It also charges more quickly with 20/30 minute charging stops vs 40/45. The spec is typically higher with adaptive cruise control standard and battery life/degredation is better with ioniq.

Downsides vs leaf the leaf has a higher driving position. If going to north of Ireland many chargers there are ChaDeMo only so can't charge ioniq, but most are broken and due to be replaced.

Main issue is public charging every 120km or so on long trips where public 50kW chargers may be busy, broken or blocked. Educate yourself on the hassle of longer trips, and if possible use a second car or borrow or hire for things like 2 weeks holidays. If you buy an i3 with Rex this reduces this issue, but still a problem to stop and charge mid trip. Most EVs are brilliant if you home charge and do trips within their range. The most cost savings are made by those with longer commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I would agree wrt Ioniq V leaf 40.
    This seems like a pretty good deal (@€;185000 - https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/hyundai/ioniq/fpa/202104131317051

My own old car is for sale here (@€;21950) https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/hyundai/ioniq/fpa/202104211632469 . Its significantly more expense, however has the better spec. Who knows if you phone them up and offer €20k cash they may well nite your hand off.

Re Leaf V Ioniq - imho the Ioniq is a better car for a number of reasons. However unless you are doing a lot of high milage, single day trips then if is much of a muchness.

I would certainly ensure that you drive both and get an informed opinion on stype, handling, seating position etc etc. as these are all very personal.

As others have said, inform yourself about how you will be using the car an how much you will rely on public charging. Note limitations with public charging are very dependent on where you live and where you drive to that would require charging. For example, I'm in galway and regularly travel to Dublin - there are a tonne of chargers on the route and I would have zero problems. However it's probably the best served route in the country. Others have legitimately less positive views on charging infrastructure and experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That blue Ioniq is well worth the money. Super top spec and looks like it's been changed correctly to km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

ELM327 wrote: »
    That blue Ioniq is well worth the money. Super top spec and looks like it's been changed correctly to km.

this is my old car, its the premium SE top spec. However the spedo is still primarily miles and secordary KM.

FYI I traded it into Kia Liffey Valley (Dublin). Guessing it made its way to Galway via the trade.

EDIT: for those interested this post contains photos of what it looks like
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115311867&postcount=9793

Advertisement