Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vicks Humidifier

Options
  • 07-06-2021 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

17 month old has a cough for two months. It isn’t waling him but he isn’t shaking it off.

Has anybody tried Vicks VH845E1 model. Only £30 on Amazon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭coffeyt

Not sure what model I have but I invested in a Vicks humidifier about 3 years ago when my kids were 2&3, best thing I ever got. Anytime they had a cough id plug it in and it gave immediate relief to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭McSween

coffeyt wrote: »
    Not sure what model I have but I invested in a Vicks humidifier about 3 years ago when my kids were 2&3, best thing I ever got. Anytime they had a cough id plug it in and it gave immediate relief to them.

Thanks. This is the one. A warm mist. VH845E1

I bought it about two hours ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Presume you have checked him with the GP? We do have a humidifier, and it got us through some bad winter nights with our lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

We had one like that. It got mouldy inside. Important to check it doesn't get mouldy.

Our kid was a preemie and had a lot of respiratory issues in his first year. Kettle on continuously in a small room worked well on a couple of occasions.

He's grand now though.

Get HEPA filters too. We have two air purifiers and a HEPA vacuum. If you have carpets consider replacing them with hard floors. Vax do A-rated HEPA vacuums for about €100. The reach is best for carpets. The Pet is best for hard floors. You can see the difference in what they hoover up compared to standard vacuums.

Our dog used have constant gunk in her eyes. She does not at all since we used the HEPA vacuums and air filters. Demonstrates that they make a difference.

He's gone from the 25th to the 75th percentile for height. Solid as a block and stronger than you'd think a three year old could be. Not sure he's been sick at all since his first birthday. Had been sick an awful lot before then and even stopped breathing one night. Needed admissions twice in addition to his time in NICU while a newborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

I have one, found it good! Just make sure to air out the room the next day. Also clean it regularly and let it dry before putting back together. Don't have it too near the walls. The steam caused streaks on the wall. Really does make a difference for the cough though.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. For £30 it sounds like well worth it. Very cheap.

We are good for airing rooms. Very conscious of ridding air from overnight. Not to mention letting that moisture out

Are there different levels of steam output on this?

The other thing is, will it make his clothes damp? Should i have it turn off at some stage during the night?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

McSween wrote: »
    Are there different levels of steam output on this?

The other thing is, will it make his clothes damp? Should i have it turn off at some stage during the night?
    If it's the same model as mine there are two levels.

We had no issues with damp clothes. It turns off itself once the water runs out.

cornflake1 wrote: »
    If it's the same model as mine there are two levels.

We had no issues with damp clothes. It turns off itself once the water runs out.

Thanks. Is it recommended that it runs for the full night?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I'm not sure of our model, but we have a vicks humidifier and find it's helps. My son was quite premature and had a hole in his heart until recently. He's always been weird snuffly and coughs a lot at night from it and I definitely think it's made a difference

• Advertisement
Advertisement