Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how strict are yous on rules with playing partners?

Options
  • 09-06-2021 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

i bit the bullet and joined a club this summer. i've only played two comps and both times had playing partners that dont care about the rules at all.

one lad kept taking drops from shoulder instead of knee height even after being reminded, he said it hurts his back the new way. another one had 17, yes 17 clubs in his bag and kept teeing up a good 5 or 6 inches in front of the tee markers. wouldnt care if it was casual golf but its in the sunday singles. was half tempted to refuse to sign the scorecards but they had terrible scores anyway.

i'm new and dont know anyone at the club so not sure if i want to make a name for myself but id also go crazy if i lost a competition to people like that.

do yous just let this stuff go or take it to the competition committee or what?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Thats horrific. I would have to say it to them and if they persisted I'd report them to management.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

New to the club, I would just find new playing partners rather than making a complaint to club officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

gaz22 wrote: »
    i bit the bullet and joined a club this summer. i've only played two comps and both times had playing partners that dont care about the rules at all.

one lad kept taking drops from shoulder instead of knee height even after being reminded, he said it hurts his back the new way. another one had 17, yes 17 clubs in his bag and kept teeing up a good 5 or 6 inches in front of the tee markers. wouldnt care if it was casual golf but its in the sunday singles. was half tempted to refuse to sign the scorecards but they had terrible scores anyway.

i'm new and dont know anyone at the club so not sure if i want to make a name for myself but id also go crazy if i lost a competition to people like that.

The chap with the bad back who can't reach his knees must have terrible trouble swinging a golf club. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Ignore it and keep playing with them or move group if it annoys you - At best you could pass a comment like "do you mind me asking, how many clubs are you allowed"

Focus on your own game and don't be worrying too much what others do, you are out to enjoy yourself not be the police to other peoples bad habits/conduct

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gman127

You can't be letting lads away with that sort of stuff. Will leave a bitter taste in your mouth when you see them win a big comp some day.

A friend of mine just joined my club having not played much and I make a point of telling him at least the basic rules as they come up in casual play, just so he'll do things the correct way in a comp with other people.

Also try playing interclub and you won't be long about learning what the rules are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

If you continue to let people break the rules they will never bother to learn not to break the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gaz22

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The chap with the bad back who can't reach his knees must have terrible trouble swinging a golf club. :D

his swing was violent too and no issue picking up the ball from the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭CorkBoyInDub

gaz22 wrote: »

I've often seen lads tee off ahead of the markers but it's been a once off thing where they genuinely just put the tee down and didn't check. Being honest I'm not going to call someone on that, but I know others would.

The bad back thing is complete boll0x. How does he get the ball out of the hole? Dropping from the knee is miles more beneficial anyway.

For the guy with the clubs in the bag I'd just give a passing comment like "Look I'm not going to say anything but I know there's a few strict lads around. If you're caught with that many clubs in the bag there's a good chance they'll report you". Bit of a cop out from me but that's how I'd handle it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

I think the big difference is if the person knows they're breaking rules or not.
    Some people simply aren't aware
    For those id just give a quiet word but for someone knowingly breaking rules I'd have little sympathy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

The counting casual rounds are a new side to this. For me in a casual round I never really cared. I'd let someone know if I thought they didn't know the rule so that they wouldn't be caught out in competition. But if someone takes an extra club length or two for their drops, or plays a provisional and decides to use it because they find the original and don't like the look of it I won't care. To be honest, even if they want to kick the ball out of the rough and come in happy with 36 points and then wonder why they can't shoot that in a competition that's their business.

But now if someone is submitting these rounds I'm not sure what way I'll react. I did have a fella on the second hole the other day say he'll throw one down on the fairway and play it as 3 since his had been lost. I told him he can't since he's submitting the card. But that's a clear one. If it was a minor infringement like forgetting to move your marker back or something on a green I don't think I would call someone on it if they're submitting the card for the handicap. Whereas I would for a competition. I suppose for a counting casual round like that no-one cares if someone submits a card that should technically be a shot or two higher. Ultimately it'll result in them possibly having a handicap that's an either or a quarter of a shot lower than it should be. No-one is affected by that. Whereas if it was in a comp, someone coming in with a score a shot or two better than it should be would be a big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭dwd

I've always worked off the basis that if its a non competitive round I don't really care what people do as long as they aren't holding things up or doing something stupid. In a stableford setting I wouldn't get hung up on someone throwing a ball down to play out a hole as long as they are clear the hole is scratched.

In a competition or now in the new counting non competition round, if I saw a blatant ignoring of the rules I'd make it clear I wouldn't sign off the card or attest the score on the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Pretty similar to a previous poster but for the ball drop issue, i wouldn't get too fussed about that since i don't see any real advantage to it by dropping from shoulder height. I do it the odd time myself as i spent 20 years doing it that way so sometimes you forget the rule has changed, especially if you're a casual and infrequent golfer like myself. I'd be a bit more careful though in competitions, not that i enter many.

The teeing up beyond the markers, again, wouldn't bother me too much if it happened the odd time and was marginal. It can be just carelessness. But if it was a few inches and frequently, it would annoy me as it suggests a blatant disregard or ignorance of the rules as opposed to a bit of carelessness or distraction which we all have the odd time.

The number of clubs thing is the big one as there's a definite advantage to it. Being restricted to 14 clubs makes you think a bit more about how to configure your bag. Do i load up at the top or bottom end of the bag? Do i sacrifice a 3 wood which i might need to fall back on if the driving is ropey for an extra wedge which might come in handy if i'm struggling with 3/4 shots for example. It might be nice to carry an extra driver or putter if you rotate and one is struggling on the day....there's any amount of scenarios that would be nice to carry more than 14 clubs for....

I'm not sure i'd have the balls to report someone on anything other than the most blatant of cheating (moving ball, dropping a "lost" ball, etc) unless i was a senior and respected member myself but i would definitely subtly remind someone of the rules and that someone else might be more fussy about these things and to consider that going forward....at the end of the day, especially if you're new to a club, you don't know who they know or how they'll react so best to be as diplomatic as you can....

Advertisement