Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Refurbished Laptops

• 04-06-2021 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Bought a few refurbished laptops from Laptops Direct before. Is there anywhere now with a similar service so I don't have to play UK and Irish VAT?

Thanks

Comments

Laptops direct are still selling on an Irish site in euro with no extra charges

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie

not always the best deal - often better value to be had new

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Greenit in Naas or refreshedbyus.ie in northern Ireland

https://www.greenit.ie/ they also have a store you can call into

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I think LaptopMarket.ie (based in Dublin 12) sometimes sell refurbished laptops, but I think you have to ring them to see what they have in stock. Pretty sure that you can collect from them as well, as they have a physical shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭lazyman

I have been looking at reconditioned laptops directly on the dell website,
    Has anyone experience or reviews of these? U think dell call them dent and scratch which mean they may have a physical defect more than being previously used,
    Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

Aren't every computer repair service, in every town now, offering a whole range of reconditioned laptops, alongside their repair service. Great value as well. Great personal service - once we open up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Great stuff thanks everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

lazyman wrote: »
    I have been looking at reconditioned laptops directly on the dell website,
    Has anyone experience or reviews of these? U think dell call them dent and scratch which mean they may have a physical defect more than being previously used,
    Thank you

I bought through them 3 years ago. got an i3 13 inch inspiron 2 in 1 . its still going strong !

glasso wrote: »
    Laptops direct are still selling on an Irish site in euro with no extra charges

https://www.laptopsdirect.ie

not always the best deal - often better value to be had new

I'm always just so wary of not getting the best processor I can. It's for my dad to stream youtube, skysports, netflix, golf channel and that new site that just won the champions league.

He might stretch to this price but is this processor any good?

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-3-15ARE05/p/81W100QSUK?cid=ie:sem|se|google|g-ie-shopping-pla-nonbrand-consumer-laptops-amd||||12611462777|117791612777|pla-876091443016|shopping|nonbrand&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5PGFBhC2ARIsAIFIMNcOxtDA9eOTquBXDYZC3M5TNhgau1eXtwAmAiEjHFpJe6uoEDbd8PcaAiEOEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Anyone have any experience of these refurbished Thinkpads? For example:

https://backfromthefuture.ie/collections/laptops-refurbished/products/lenovo-thinkpad-t460s-i5-12gb-ram-256gb-ssd?variant=38050815672475

I get that they were top of the range when new but they still cost as much or more than a pretty decent spec new machine. Is the difference between 6/7th gen i5/i7 and 11th gen not that much? Are new laptops around 1k price point only catching up to these?

I am looking to upgrade my current laptop (a thinkpad from 6 or 7 years ago 3rd gen i5, 4gb RAM) as it struggles a bit with photo editing and playing Civilisation 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

A lot of these refurb sites seem to be asking ridiculous amounts for 5-10 year old machines with old processors and low-res screens.

As far as gaming on a Thinkpad - Most of those were squarely aimed at the average worker who didn't need much more than MSFT Office and thus only have Intel Graphics chipsets. Very poor for most games.
    Even those with beefier NVidia/AMD Graphics would have suffered from heat/lots of fan noise as part of the deal.

• Advertisement

https://backfromthefuture.ie/collections/laptops-refurbished/products/lenovo-thinkpad-t460s-i5-12gb-ram-256gb-ssd?variant=38050815672475

I get that they were top of the range when new but they still cost as much or more than a pretty decent spec new machine. Is the difference between 6/7th gen i5/i7 and 11th gen not that much? Are new laptops around 1k price point only catching up to these?

I am looking to upgrade my current laptop (a thinkpad from 6 or 7 years ago 3rd gen i5, 4gb RAM) as it struggles a bit with photo editing and playing Civilisation 6.

there is a big difference both in terms of cpu power and even more so on the integrated graphics side

an 11th gen i5 is probably 3 to 4 times as powerful as a 6th / 7th gen one.

go to lenovo.ie and sign up to the newsletter for the 10% discount

then look at the ideapad line for a 11th gen i5 or an amd 4500u

with the discount there should be something for 500 euro or a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭FreshCoffee

It's also worth keeping an eye on Amazon Warehouse deals:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=laptop&i=warehouse-deals

I'm always just so wary of not getting the best processor I can. It's for my dad to stream youtube, skysports, netflix, golf channel and that new site that just won the champions league.

He might stretch to this price but is this processor any good?

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/s-series/IdeaPad-3-15ARE05/p/81W100QSUK?cid=ie:sem|se|google|g-ie-shopping-pla-nonbrand-consumer-laptops-amd||||12611462777|117791612777|pla-876091443016|shopping|nonbrand&gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5PGFBhC2ARIsAIFIMNcOxtDA9eOTquBXDYZC3M5TNhgau1eXtwAmAiEjHFpJe6uoEDbd8PcaAiEOEALw_wcB

that's the low-end of current cpus

spend a bit more to get something much more capable like my suggestion above

will pay you back over 6 years of use by being so much faster and usable for longer

false economy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I dont know about a refurbished one but I used the T460 and T480 for about 2 to 3 years each for work and in my experience the Stink Pads have always been pretty bullet proof, theres a reason large organisatuons use them. I never hand an issue with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

Most of those sites selling refurbished machines are charging double what you would pay on the likes of Ebay or Adverts for the same model.

In 99% of cases the average user is just better off buying a new laptop that will end up being faster, cheaper and have a full warranty versus buying these refurbished "deals".

EG that "Back from the Future" website is charging €699 for a T460S with 6th gen i5 and 8GB Ram. Total rip-off and waste of time.

You can get that and similar models like the Lenovo X250 on Adverts/Ebay for less than half that, sometimes almost a third of that.

You can also buy a significantly faster brand new laptop for less.

Generally, for casual use, if your budget is €200-€300, you can get great value 2nd hand - like an aforementioned X250 with a decent 6th gen i5, 8GB Ram and an SSD, overall a very reliable laptop.

Once you're heading into €400 and above territory you might as well just buy new.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭3d4life

• Registered Users Posts: 26,916 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Creative IT in mullingar are excellent, I've purchased a few from them over the years. They have new a refurbished laptops and offer fair warranties on refurbished equipment.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Homelander wrote: »
    Most of those sites selling refurbished machines are charging double what you would pay on the likes of Ebay or Adverts for the same model.

In 99% of cases the average user is just better off buying a new laptop that will end up being faster, cheaper and have a full warranty versus buying these refurbished "deals".

EG that "Back from the Future" website is charging €699 for a T460S with 6th gen i5 and 8GB Ram. Total rip-off and waste of time.

You can get that and similar models like the Lenovo X250 on Adverts/Ebay for less than half that, sometimes almost a third of that.

You can also buy a significantly faster brand new laptop for less.

Generally, for casual use, if your budget is €200-€300, you can get great value 2nd hand - like an aforementioned X250 with a decent 6th gen i5, 8GB Ram and an SSD, overall a very reliable laptop.

Once you're heading into €400 and above territory you might as well just buy new.

It's knowing what to look for is the problem, and being able to send it back within the month of there's an issue.

Buying a second hand computer often reminds me of that Simpsons quote. I used to be cool and then they changed what cool was.

Bought this
    https://www.laptopsdirect.ie/refurbished-dell-inspiron-5570-core-i3-7130u-8gb-1tb-15.6-inch-windows-10-l-tr-47-584/version.asp

Arrived today and he says he's happy with it. I'll have a look when I'm over next. It's only a matter of time before he uses it as a foot rest or drops it.

Advertisement