Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Extortion: The Dirty Little Secret Of Ireland's Construction Industry.

• 08-06-2021 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I'm tangentially connected with the construction trade in Cork city. And I have experience in a number of building sites in the city area.

I know for a fact that at least one of them is being extorted by members of an ethnic Irish group that shall remain nameless. Another site it appears is experiencing pretty much the same thing. The third site, I can only guess.

Extortion in the building trade in Ireland is rife it appears. These groups are earning thousands and thousands of euros a month through their criminal practices.

I'm not entirely sure how these costs are being written off in the developer's balance sheet. But you can bet that the costs are being passed along to the property buyer.

The gardai can't do anything about it apparently. Besides posting a patrol 24/7 on the building site.

I'm entirely sure that this is the dirty little secret of the Irish construction trade. And is probably contributing to the fact that construction projects are being cancelled left, right and center. Because they aren't financially viable.

I'd be interested to know whether anyone else has any experience of this in the Irish construction trade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭irishproduce

This kind of stuff.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/limerick-dad-face-trial-connection-21260113

Interestingly no follow up as to what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Glad to hear it.
    Great example of working class action against a class of absolute scumbags. Any politician who promises to execute property developers will get my vote.

I'm tangentially connected with the construction trade in Cork city. And I have experience in a number of building sites in the city area.

I know for a fact that at least one of them is being extorted by members of an ethnic Irish group that shall remain nameless. Another site it appears is experiencing pretty much the same thing. The third site, I can only guess.

Extortion in the building trade in Ireland is rife it appears. These groups are earning thousands and thousands of euros a month through their criminal practices.

I'm not entirely sure how these costs are being written off in the developer's balance sheet. But you can bet that the costs are being passed along to the property buyer.

The gardai can't do anything about it apparently. Besides posting a patrol 24/7 on the building site.

I'm entirely sure that this is the dirty little secret of the Irish construction trade. And is probably contributing to the fact that construction projects are being cancelled left, right and center. Because they aren't financially viable.

I'd be interested to know whether anyone else has any experience of this in the Irish construction trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Used to be a certain amount of it in Clare, not by Travellera but by someone who was apparently trying to free Ireland. Have no idea if it’s still happening, don’t think that guy would have the fear factor nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,435 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Used to be a certain amount of it in Clare, not by Travellera but by someone who was apparently trying to free Ireland. Have no idea if it’s still happening, don’t think that guy would have the fear factor nowadays.

Similar situation in Limerick.
    Paramilitary connections and threats aswell as a surprisingly high amount of Garda influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Is it not just a different name for security.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Glad to hear it.
    Great example of working class action against a class of absolute scumbags. Any politician who promises to execute property developers will get my vote.

Your on a real mission the last while, best of luck with the fishing. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭granturismo

Glad to hear it.

The gangs holding businesses to ransom for protection money aren't part of the working class since they don't work.

Advertisement