Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading

Options
  • 07-06-2021 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

I am pretty new to golf, I started last summer and obviously haven't been a huge amount during the lockdowns but I am really enjoying it and am getting better. I bought a full set of clubs - irons, woods, driver and bag - for 70 quid on adverts and while I think they are fine I am led to believe that better clubs make a big difference. I just have no idea what to look into getting, I walked into McGuirks but was overwhelmed by the choice there.

Driver - I have already upgraded this
    Fairway woods - my 3 and 5 are McGregor brand
    Putter - mine is pretty basic
    Irons - seems the logical choice. I have a set of Wilson ultra 4 - SW
    Clubs I don't have - I have a gap wedge (not sure of brand) but not a lob wedge. I also have a hybrid club I picked up off adverts.

Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

What standard are you playing to? the reason i ask is, if you are still at the stage where you are hitting a lot of mi****s or duff shots then new clubs wont do much for you in my opinion. stick with what you have until you can play to a decent standard and spend the money on lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

etxp wrote: »
    What standard are you playing to? the reason i ask is, if you are still at the stage where you are hitting a lot of mi****s or duff shots then new clubs wont do much for you in my opinion. stick with what you have until you can play to a decent standard and spend the money on lessons.

Thanks - yeah I think this makes sense. I am hitting less and less slices, hooks and duff shots but they are still in my game. I am due a lesson alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

budgemook wrote: »
    Thanks - yeah I think this makes sense. I am hitting less and less slices, hooks and duff shots but they are still in my game. I am due a lesson alright.

Go for the lesson and ask him is the equipment holding you back, my thinking would be its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭budgemook

etxp wrote: »
    Go for the lesson and ask him is the equipment holding you back, my thinking would be its not.

Yeah that's a good point too. I already know it isn't!

Maybe next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭davegilly

There is nothing wrong with the club's you have at the moment.

Get some lessons, practice, get to the point where you're not duffing shots and then think about new club's. The club's won't fix anything other than add distance to your slice into the trees. Only when you can hit a ball consistently is it worth looking at new club's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

budgemook wrote:
    Any advice appreciated!

The only advice I'll offer is not to look for advice here on what clubs to get. We don't know your age, your physique, your swing speed or how well you currently play.

Don't spend anything until you are looked at by someone who know what to look for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Clare09

you may need buy a club washer to clean your club after every swing.

Advertisement