Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭launish116

We’re always building…is getting tiresome.

But for once we actually have the blocks to build with or nearly have them lining up.

Still think it will be 2-3 seasons before all that talent actually starts to peak!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,793 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I think the off season can't come soon enough. I haven't watched any of the Rainbow Cup matches live and likewise its unlikely I'll watch live tomorrow either.

Two or three months off is just what we need as supporters, never mind the players.

I'm still looking forward to the two Ireland matches in July, and while the Lions won't be remotely the same without the fans it will still be worth watching, but the sooner this never ending Rugby season ends the better.

• Administrators Posts: 53,666 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I honestly wouldn't care if Edinburgh put 100 points on us this weekend, it's a complete waste of time. There is nothing to be gained.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,455 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Here's the thing. I completely agree on being sick and tired of the "next season, next season" syndrome.

But when was the last time we had a coach as good as McFarland?

Kiss... Doak... Gibbes doesn't even count as an Ulster coach. Anscombe benefitted from a squad that was united, coherent and motivated after Spence's passing. McLaughlin had a better, much more experienced first 15.

Lam's season before he won the Pro12 was poor, and I remember him facing some serious criticism.

It's always the same, until it isn't. Leinster were always he Ladyboys, until they weren't. Connacht were always the ginger stepchild, until they weren't.

We are in a massively better situation than we were a couple of seasons ago. We don't have a trophy, but for a while there, we were a shambles. No-one was saying "next season" during Les' reign of terror. No-one was thinking "we'll be better next season" when Jackson and Olding left.

Here's the thing. I completely agree on being sick and tired of the "next season, next season" syndrome.

But when was the last time we had a coach as good as McFarland?

Kiss... Doak... Gibbes doesn't even count as an Ulster coach. Anscombe benefitted from a squad that was united, coherent and motivated after Spence's passing. McLaughlin had a better, much more experienced first 15.

Lam's season before he won the Pro12 was poor, and I remember him facing some serious criticism.

It's always the same, until it isn't. Leinster were always he Ladyboys, until they weren't. Connacht were always the ginger stepchild, until they weren't.

We are in a massively better situation than we were a couple of seasons ago. We don't have a trophy, but for a while there, we were a shambles. No-one was saying "next season" during Les' reign of terror. No-one was thinking "we'll be better next season" when Jackson and Olding left.

I'll believe it when they win something.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I'll believe it when they win something.

Believe what? That we've improved? Consolidated? So the only team to have improved in the last four seasons in the ProWhatever is Leinster? Since they've won?

Laser-like accuracy in analysis, Awec

Believe what? That we've improved? Consolidated? So the only team to have improved in the last four seasons in the ProWhatever is Leinster? Since they've won?

Laser-like accuracy in analysis, Awec

Everything ok there Paul Smeenus? :D

I'll believe all their talk when they back it up. I'm experienced enough to know that Ulster talk a good game.

awec wrote: »
    Everything ok there Paul Smeenus? :D

I'll believe all their talk when they back it up. I'm experienced enough to know that Ulster talk a good game.

To be honest, I'm just fed up with them myself. Should have won the Challenge Cup, at least.

But I do think there are other parameters of success than trophies.

And bloody Leinster... We lost to them five times this season.

May as well put our fingers in our ears, few signings short of any chance of silver wear next season.

Turns tv off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

How can comms say its not YC. He is off his feet

• Subscribers Posts: 41,404 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sevens game

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

That is an utterly ridiculous no-call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That's the worst decision I've seen in a long time. The only person who doesn't think that's foul play is the ref

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Technically speaking Ulster players don’t have brains so a high tackle shouldn’t have much impact regardless so play on

Tuned in for the last five minutes. Not even a penalty for that head contact is absolute nonsense.

I can understand the mitigating factors saving him from a card - that's completely fair enough. But it has to be at least a penalty. Surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Ulster can't even win without putting me in a bad mood, lot's of brainless rugby being played out there.

Hope the coaches feel that the younger/academy wingers are ready for more rugby because Gilory should be playing as little as possible. Such a sharp decline has been a little sad to watch and he looks like he's stuck in mud when he tries his usual sidestep.

Ulster’s 2nd half performances this season have be abysmal. Could of easily lost that last night.

Was hoping Rea Jnr would have a good game! Not sure he has the ballast and engine. He was harsh down by on two turnovers though!

Shanahan really knows how to pick a support line. Remove his box kicking and he’s actually quite affective!

We won, away from hone, with a TBP, despite getting shafted by the ref and fielding a team designed to facilitate a last run-out for players that we haven't deemed good enough to retain (McCall, McBurney, Mathewson, Faddes) in a week where 13 players had to self-isolate and couldn't train, in a competition we don't give a monkey's about.

Season is finally over. Time for a break and go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

Good video of sevens match on youtube, Ire 1 v Ire 2. Sexton, Jude, Moxham all playing.

• Advertisement

launish116 wrote: »

I thought that was announced a while back

Anyway good news, there have been major improvements under his watch, a lot of what has happened over the last month or so (which has been a damp squib) has been out of his control.

The season for me ended with the defeat to Leicester. Everything else has been a total irrelevance.

Ah sorry it was bumped on UAFC, me stupid!

In Fairness Leicester haven been on an upwards trajectory since that game.

launish116 wrote: »
    Ah sorry it was bumped on UAFC, me stupid!

In Fairness Leicester haven been on an upwards trajectory since that game.

I haven't been watching the Premiership, but it wasn't a commentary on the Leicester game, more making a point of my total disinterest in the Rainbow Cup, exacerbated by Covid. The one match which may have piqued my interest, Scarlets at home where some younger players may have got a run, was cancelled.

Anyway, anyone care to guess how many Ulster players will get an Ireland call up in July?

I doubt there will be that many..

You'd think these guys are certainties if fit
    Herring
    O'Toole
    Burns
    Stockdale

O'Sullivan and McCloskey will be right in contention as well.

Anyone else?
    Baloucoune and Hume seem possibles, but Zebo could be back and Ringrose not making the Lions maybe hurts Hume's chances.

bilston wrote: »
    I haven't been watching the Premiership, but it wasn't a commentary on the Leicester game, more making a point of my total disinterest in the Rainbow Cup, exacerbated by Covid. The one match which may have piqued my interest, Scarlets at home where some younger players may have got a run, was cancelled.

Anyway, anyone care to guess how many Ulster players will get an Ireland call up in July?

Herring
    O'Toole
    Burns
    Stockdale

Anyone else?
    Baloucoune and Hume seem possibles, but Zebo could be back and Ringrose not making the Lions maybe hurts Hume's chances.

Addison, possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Herring
    O'Toole
    Burns
    Stockdale

Anyone else?

I would really be disappointed if Balocoune doesn’t at the very least get brought into the squad.

stephen_n wrote: »
    I would really be disappointed if Balocoune doesn’t at the very least get brought into the squad.

Given the fact that Stockdale has stalled and Lowe has been unconvincing at international level, it's not like we have riches there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Herring
    O'Toole
    Burns
    Stockdale

Anyone else?

Henshaw and Aki away. Think Hume will be in the wider squad at least.

Hope we get to see
    Daly Ringrose Hume Balacoune Keenan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Given the fact that Stockdale has stalled and Lowe has been unconvincing at international level, it's not like we have riches there.

His performances must at the very least have earned him a call up. He has all the attributes, it would be good to see how he steps up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭TRC10

Herring
    O'Toole
    Burns
    Stockdale

Anyone else?

Hume has really impressed me this season and I'd love to see him in there. He's powerful, has good feet, has on outside break and his distribution is very good. I think he definitely offers more long term than C.Farrell. I'd love to see Hume and Ringrose playing together.

As it's only 2 games and they're both at home, I think it will be a fairly small squad of maybe 27/28 players.

Advertisement