Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone advise how best to clean this up?

• 05-06-2021 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone.
    I am trying to clean up some farmland which has been neglected. It is irritating me immensely. It has lots of rushes, nettles, docks, the works.
    Can anyone advise the best way to kill off these weeds. I do have roundup but that tends to kill everything it touches.

There are cattle and sheep on this land so that is a consideration.
    I have attached a couple of photos for you to get the idea. I would appreciate some pointers
    Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Grazon90 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Hi everyone.
    I am trying to clean up some farmland which has been neglected. It is irritating me immensely. It has lots of rushes, nettles, docks, the works.
    Can anyone advise the best way to kill off these weeds. I do have roundup but that tends to kill everything it touches.

I have attached a couple of photos for you to get the idea. I would appreciate some pointers
    Thanks everyone.

Can you take them off for a couple weeks or split the field if not?
    If so, forefront and animals back in 3 weeks (if there is no ragwort)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭amacca

The difference in people!

To my eyes that's not that bad:)

My advice

Top occasionally, take stock off it October and leave it to about march to give the grass a chance to compete and another the stuff....if/when you can.

Only go in with the chemicals when it's an outright infestation....for ragworth pull, and burn. I used to do far too much spraying but Imo it's labour intensive, it's expensive and your only putting money back in companies hands like a lot of the stuff we run around doing.

For the odd bunches of nettles and whistles top and let the grass compete and it's fine imo. The deeper rooted weeds bring up useful stuff that the grass can't. I nearly think a bit of topping is like fertiliser and worthwhile as long as your not at it too often burning diesel. Fire out a bit of FYM on it too if you have some....if you have an infestation of docks then fair enough I suppose.

This crack of having a perfect field of nothing but grass can't be sustainable long term in terms of labour and money input) If it's really trashy and old and there's less decent grass than everything else / sedge etc) Id nearly consider a reseed (but i have most of my iwn equipment) that looks grand and for me at least it wouldnt pay to be bothered getting upset about

If you can afford to manage the problem away like thar it's as profitable a solution imo. If stock can't be taken off it then the problem will keep recurring in my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Good loser

amacca wrote: »
    The difference in people!

To my eyes that's not that bad:)

My advice

Top occasionally, take stock off it October and leave it to about march to give the grass a chance to compete and another the stuff....if/when you can.

Only go in with the chemicals when it's an outright infestation....for ragworth pull, and burn. I used to do far too much spraying but Imo it's labour intensive, it's expensive and your only putting money back in companies hands like a lot of the stuff we run around doing.

For the odd bunches of nettles and whistles top and let the grass compete and it's fine imo. The deeper rooted weeds bring up useful stuff that the grass can't. I nearly think a bit of topping is like fertiliser and worthwhile as long as your not at it too often burning diesel. Fire out a bit of FYM on it too if you have some....if you have an infestation of docks then fair enough I suppose.

This crack of having a perfect field of nothing but grass can't be sustainable long term in terms of labour and money input) If it's really trashy and old and there's less decent grass than everything else / sedge etc) Id nearly consider a reseed (but i have most of my iwn equipment) that looks grand and for me at least it wouldnt pay to be bothered getting upset about

If you can afford to manage the problem away like thar it's as profitable a solution imo. If stock can't be taken off it then the problem will keep recurring in my experience

Would agree with nearly all of that. The problem is small. Could only see one bunch of rushes. Rushes indicate impeded drainage.

I mostly ignore docks. I spot spray nettles and thistles with Grazon Pro in May.
    If very bad could go back once more in year - but no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Good loser wrote: »
    Would agree with nearly all of that. The problem is small. Could only see one bunch of rushes. Rushes indicate impeded drainage.

I mostly ignore docks. I spot spray nettles and thistles with Grazon Pro in May.
    If very bad could go back once more in year - but no more.

Have a good few patches of nettles coming, does MCPA kill them does anyone know?
    Have some riches to spot spray in the same field and if the same spray would do the job on both would be handier...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

OP is it just spots here and there of these weeds or are they right accross the fields. I only saw 1-2 spots if rush's so I would not worry about them topping will control. If they are only in sections spot spray with grazon 90. You can even do this on larger area's by putting it in a tractor sprayer and use PTO to turn in and off sprayer.

If you need to spray a large area there is a number of options. Hi-load Micram was a good broad spectrum weed killer but it seems to be gone off the market

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Nothing wrong with that. To me, it looks too rich from maybe feeding in the area over time.
    Move the feeding to another area and it will improve over time. Skip it too, when spreading fertiliser.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Charolois 19

Have a good few patches of nettles coming, does MCPA kill them does anyone know?
    Have some riches to spot spray in the same field and if the same spray would do the job on both would be handier...

It does , and dosent take long for the heads to drop on them, I use mcpa for spot spraying nettles where quad cant get

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hi everyone.

Thanks everyone.

Jeez, that's not bad at all!
    Bit of spot spraying with a quad, on the bits with the worst infestation of the thistles would do the trick.
    MCPA or Grazon 90.

I had visions of rushes you'd lose a cow in, never mind a calf....

Round--up would be pointless, and anyway, it doesn't kill nettles..

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Thank you everyone. It appears to my non-farming eye, that it is bad, but from your comments it isnt. It is kind of complicated, I am not the farmer. I am the person assisting the owner how is retired and renting the land out. The photos are an example, but there are areas where it is worse.
    I think I may do some spot spraying and leave the rest alone. Will have a chat with the farmer and see what he says
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭893bet

Do you own it? Why are you asking the farmer?

I would leave it alone entirely. Mow it tight.

893bet wrote: »
    Do you own it? Why are you asking the farmer?

I would leave it alone entirely. Mow it tight.
    Im looking after maintenence for the owner. Got to rebuild a wall, weed the place, creosote fences, paint it, etc etc.
    If youse say it looks fine, that is good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Biscuitus

Looks like the average fields right now. Weeds are getting worse in Ireland so you will develop a hefty bill looking for the perfect green grass field. Top it now and again during the summer. In the Autumn get sprays out when the next cycle of weeds starts up.

Make sure you walk the field picking up any branches, logs, rubbish, rocks or even bricks from the wall before you get someone to top it.

Biscuitus wrote: »
    Looks like the average fields right now. Weeds are getting worse in Ireland so you will develop a hefty bill looking for the perfect green grass field. Top it now and again during the summer. In the Autumn get sprays out when the next cycle of weeds starts up.

Make sure you walk the field picking up any branches, logs, rubbish, rocks or even bricks from the wall before you get someone to top it.
    Thanks. I really dont want to do anything, but it looks like it will fall on me to do maintenence. Fences leaning that need to be supported, boards replaced and creosoted, got postcrete already so got to start digging. Walls to be rebuilt, that is just scratching the surface. I wont be getting anyone in to do anything, it will have to be done myself. Got to step in and do it. Lots of nettles where I need to take down a wall and rebuild. I dont know who is supposed to look after stuff like this, but guess who is going to end up doing it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭893bet

Thanks. I really dont want to do anything, but it looks like it will fall on me to do maintenence. Fences leaning that need to be supported, boards replaced and creosoted, got postcrete already so got to start digging. Walls to be rebuilt, that is just scratching the surface. I wont be getting anyone in to do anything, it will have to be done myself. Got to step in and do it. Lots of nettles where I need to take down a wall and rebuild. I dont know who is supposed to look after stuff like this, but guess who is going to end up doing it.....

So there is the owner of the land. The farmer you mention is a separate person leasing the land? The you doing the “maintenance”?

Or what’s the situation?

893bet wrote: »
    So there is the owner of the land. The farmer you mention is a separate person leasing the land? The you doing the “maintenance”?

Or what’s the situation?

Land is rented per year. But when fencing needed replacing they got it done and docked the rent. I don't know normal ways, but it appears farmer expects landowner to maintain it while they graze it and cut hay

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Land is rented per year. But when fencing needed replacing they got it done and docked the rent. I don't know normal ways, but it appears farmer expects landowner to maintain it while they graze it and cut hay

Would depend on the terms of the lease.
    Some specify FRI terms, full repairing and insurance.
    Some the farmer likes to keep a closer eye on things.

I'd be fairly sure there is no lease. All I know is it's falling to me.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I'd be fairly sure there is no lease. All I know is it's falling to me.
    :(

Draw up an official lease if they are there longterm. Generally the lessee maintains fences if they are in good order at start of rental period.

Is the owner related to you, are you s possible inheritor. Not being nosey but understanding haw you ended in this situation will mean better advice from posters on here

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Spot spray with Grazon Pro (or similar selective herbicide) in a knapsack and move on to the next job.

Life’s too short to give a few docks or nettles too much thought.

From someone who gave them too much thought previously!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

Apologies, just revisited this thread. You hit it bang on the head there.

The present owner is very old and we are the future successors. So at prsent, muggins here is trying to look after my own home. This property as well, as well as maintenance walls fences and the like

Latest job is strimming fields, and now got to find a supplier for drums of kreocote

Advertisement