Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Haven’t played the piano in 30 years

• 07-06-2021 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

As a child I got up to grade 6 on the piano

My daughter wishes to learn the piano and looking to buy an electric piano, lessons etc

I’d like to start playing again but have no idea how to go about it. Would the best bet be just to start off with my daughter and learn from scratch as I haven’t touched a note in 30 years ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

There are 8 billion people in the world and most of them haven't played the piano in 30 years so you're in good company.

You didn't say how old your daughter is so my experience may or may not be worth anything. Probably nothing​ if you listen to my own daughter, who begged to go to a performing arts charter high school, costing us a lot of money for instruments and gear, great inconvenience driving her to and from for four years, and never mastered anything at all musical.

If I had to do it over again I would say buy a dirt cheap electric piano, used, at a boot sale or an advert. As long as you check out that it works, €10 would be a good price. It's easy to find them cheap because most people eventually just want it out of the closet so there's someplace to hang their winter jacket.

Let her experiment making sounds, utoob instruction videos and library books are free, and if a year later​ she's still enthusiastic and motivated enough to have learned​ to play something more than mary had a little lamb, then think about an upgrade or putting cash money into formal lessons.

Absolutely make sure the piano has a plug-in​ for the wall outlet or you'll go through a fortune in alkaline batteries.

We all like to think our child is brilliant, maybe a genius or prodigy, but the failure rate is high for really mastering a musical instrument and it's helpful to start without a lot of pressure or expense so that it's fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭john123470

Absolutely agree with the above although you might need lay out more than €10.

Someone practising piano without using headphones might drive you nuts, so I think a full length (ie 88 note) piano with h/phones may set you back a few 100+ but is worth the investment.

You say you'd like to play again so there are already 2 people who wish to play

Grade 6 is a decent level to have achieved, albeit as a child. If you can still read music, you may be able to give your daughter preliminary lessons and see how she takes to it.

Fiddle about with electric pianos in a shop - get a feel for the kind of sound, piano you would like. This will give you a better idea what to look for in the market.

If both of you lose interest, then simply re sell it

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

Thanks for the advice. My daughter is going on 13 and has been asking almost daily for weeks and weeks
    I’ve explained a lot of practice , time , repetitiveness mastering pieces but she accepts this

I saw pianos for 61 keys at 280e, which bring you up to and including grade 3 , keys are weighted like a real piano

I’m focussed on learning again too , can still remember the notes, read music and scales

Just can’t comprehend that my left hand played and also with the right hand at the same time . Haha

If both you and your daughter are keen, i'd go for full 88 keys. Otherwise, you will be doing so at a later stage
    If you think the instrument will bring enjoyment, then its worth the splash

There are youtube tutorials on practically every piano work out there .. even if you don't sight read

If your daughter is that keen, she can learn quite a lot of the basics online. If she is making progress online, you can think about a teacher

As said before, go to the shops and feel out the instruments so you will know what you are looking for

john123470 wrote: »
    If both you and your daughter are keen, i'd go for full 88 keys. Otherwise, you will be doing so at a later stage
    If you think the instrument will bring enjoyment, then its worth the splash

There are youtube tutorials on practically every piano work out there .. even if you don't sight read

If your daughter is that keen, she can learn quite a lot of the basics online. If she is making progress online, you can think about a teacher

As said before, go to the shops and feel out the instruments so you will know what you are looking for

Thanks John , to be honest that was my thinking too. My daughter is very keen but I realised I am too. I’m very committed to things I take on and already know the work involved

Was in Capel st and south William street looking at 88 pianos and couldn’t believe how realistic the keys were to when I played

I played on a 88key Yamaha but back then the keys were light and when I did exams , was always an extra hurdle to overcome

Thanks

• Advertisement

I ended up buying a 88 key electric piano with weighted acoustic keys just over a week ago.

Bought a book of scales from grades 1-8 and have been practicing every night and surprised at how quick my fingers could play and remember, both hands together , 2 octaves etc

I played no sheet music as was re-familiarising with reading notes, beats etc

Bought grade 1 and 2 sheet music today as a trial and can play grade 1 pieces after an hour of practicing

Small steps but I’m very pleased at the progress but most of all I’m enjoying it more

My daughter starts lessons in sept so in the meantime I am showing her the basics and also YouTube is great too

I ended up buying a 88 key electric piano with weighted acoustic keys just over a week ago.

Bought a book of scales from grades 1-8 and have been practicing every night and surprised at how quick my fingers could play and remember, both hands together , 2 octaves etc

I played no sheet music as was re-familiarising with reading notes, beats etc

Bought grade 1 and 2 sheet music today as a trial and can play grade 1 pieces after an hour of practicing

Small steps but I’m very pleased at the progress but most of all I’m enjoying it more

My daughter starts lessons in sept so in the meantime I am showing her the basics and also YouTube is great too

Excellent news. Finger muscle memory is long term and will serve you well

We will be looking out for you and your daughter hitting the big time.

Good luck

Advertisement