Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway COVID-19, local news and discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Got my vaccine appointment on Saturday out in Ballybrit. Not ideal on a bank holiday Saturday afternoon as I imagine the traffic could be horrific. Just wondering how long I should give myself driving out from the city centre? And I hear the entrance isn't the main entrance but is at the back of the racecourse or something?

Entrance is from the Parkmore Road. Well signposted. Use BnaD, 30 mins should get fine unless you get stuck leaving the city centre. Maybe allow 45 if you think there's a chance of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Bus to centre suggests 21min bus & 15min walk
    OsJY2yB.png

Bike to centre is 21min
    phoGtrc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

I will defer to people who have more experience with the traffic, but I imagine much will depend on the time of day (how busy might Briarhill get with Saturday afternoon shopping?), and maybe even what the weather is like.

Being a non-driver: I decided to walk to and from the vaccination centre, and cut out all the uncertainty involved with taking the bus. This is even with the 401 stopping very close by my home both out and back. 'Twas a tidy step from Grattan, but nothing I couldn't manage*.

*circa 70 minutes/9100 steps each way, in case you're wondering ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Got my vaccine appointment on Saturday out in Ballybrit. Not ideal on a bank holiday Saturday afternoon as I imagine the traffic could be horrific. Just wondering how long I should give myself driving out from the city centre? And I hear the entrance isn't the main entrance but is at the back of the racecourse or something?

I usually just use Google maps which factor current traffic into pretty accurate estimates. Also, it's just a 20 min bike ride or a bit over an hour to walk there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭what_traffic

From maps zell12 posted - is the N6 entrance/exit open during specific time periods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ratracer

Shop St/ High St look like it’s a massive party form some WhatsApp videos going around. Looks nuts, but at least seems pretty good natured so far. Even fully vaccinated, I don’t think I’d fancy being in the middle of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

ratracer wrote: »
    Shop St/ High St look like it’s a massive party form some WhatsApp videos going around. Looks nuts, but at least seems pretty good natured so far. Even fully vaccinated, I don’t think I’d fancy being in the middle of it!

Was in town around 5pm. Huge crowds drinking everywhere, plenty of rubbish on the streets and a strong stench of pi$$ coming from the portaloos. Wasn't a very welcoming place today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Was in town around 5pm. Huge crowds drinking everywhere, plenty of rubbish on the streets and a strong stench of pi$$ coming from the portaloos. Wasn't a very welcoming place today.

Sooner the pubs are open the better. At least then it will all be in a controlled environment.

I walked by all the crowds fro the Claddagh to Eyre Square early on Saturday evening, and it was getting quite busy even then. In the minds of many people, it seems there is nothing to worry about. Or maybe they just don't care.

It's still got some way to go to match a summer's evening in "normal" times, when High Street can be impassable. As I like to say, you'd need a pitchfork in one hand and a cattle prod in the other to get through.

Salthill already jam-packed, heaving with humanity, long queues for the funfair rides

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,659 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It was a lot better yesterday than it was last weekend.

It's going to be interesting to watch the transition from stand around street drinking to seated "dining" today.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭puddles59

Hi,
    I have an appointment in the racecourse for my vaccine on Wednesday at 11..just wondering if anyone knows could I arrive at a different time or does it have to be at that specific time.
    TIA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭ratracer

puddles59 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have an appointment in the racecourse for my vaccine on Wednesday at 11..just wondering if anyone knows could I arrive at a different time or does it have to be at that specific time.
    TIA.

On the text you received, it should have given you an option to change appointment date. If you don’t, and you rock in at a different time, you won’t be admitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

New general Covid info, I'm sharing because it's relevant to people in Galway because if we are aware we can be vigilant and hopefully keep our local area well and functional.

Symptoms of the newer Delta variant have changed somewhat.
    From the Dr running the NHS ZOE program that tracks symptoms :
    "Since the start of May, we have been looking at the top symptoms in the app users - and they are not the same as they were," he says.

The change appears linked to the rise in the Delta variant, first identified in India and now accounting for 90% of Covid cases in the UK.

Fever remains quite common but loss of smell no longer appears in the top 10 symptoms, Prof Spector says.

"This variant seems to be working slightly differently," he says.

"People might think they've just got some sort of seasonal cold and they still go out to parties and they might spread around to six other people.

"We think this is fuelling a lot of the problem.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57467051

I know lots of people who assume it's not Covid unless your smell is affected.

Most all between 60 -70 and huge numbers of very vulnerable still only have 1 dose of Astrazeneca and that only gives them 30% protection on average. Also we aren't sure how effective the vaccines are yet. A little extra caution now, particularly in avoiding older/vulnerable if you're unwell at all, while numbers are low could do a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Galway City Council has now confirmed that outdoor dining measures will be introduced at Dominick Street Upper from this Friday.

The street will be closed to traffic every evening between 6PM and 11PM, between Dominick Street Lower and William Street West.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

New general Covid info, I'm sharing because it's relevant to people in Galway because if we are aware we can be vigilant and hopefully keep our local area well and functional.

Symptoms of the newer Delta variant have changed somewhat.
    From the Dr running the NHS ZOE program that tracks symptoms :

I know lots of people who assume it's not Covid unless your smell is affected.

Most all between 60 -70 and huge numbers of very vulnerable still only have 1 dose of Astrazeneca and that only gives them 30% protection on average. Also we aren't sure how effective the vaccines are yet. A little extra caution now, particularly in avoiding older/vulnerable if you're unwell at all, while numbers are low could do a lot.
    Received my first dose of the AZ vaccine in early April. Second does on Monday.
    It's a hell of a lot busier out at the racecourse than it was in April (as you'd expect). They have 2000+ appointments lined up per day for the next 3 weeks in the racecourse alone together with whatever gets done at local GP's and pharmacies etc so I'd exect a lot of bodies to be fully vaccinated in the next few weeks.

As far as the symptoms go, as far as I am concerned the symptons go from nothing to everything in between and combination of same.
    The only way to know whether you have covid is with a test, preempted by a combination of symptoms and/or close contact with a known case.

I got my second shot (Moderna) at the racecourse this morning. I can endorse what others have said: It was very efficiently run from beginning to end, as I left the observation area just 30 minutes after my 10:20 appointment time. This despite the much larger numbers being processed - both second and first doses, judging by the apparent age profiles.

I'm feeling tired right now, but I doubt that's the dreaded second dose side-effects. Bit too soon for those. More like waking up at some ungodly hour this morning, and having done a lot of walking already today, most but not all of it getting too and from Ballybrit.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭NTC

klr87 wrote: »
    I got my second shot (Moderna) at the racecourse this morning. I can endorse what others have said: It was very efficiently run from beginning to end, as I left the observation area just 30 minutes after my 10:20 appointment time. This despite the much larger numbers being processed - both second and first doses, judging by the apparent age profiles.

I'm feeling tired right now, but I doubt that's the dreaded second dose side-effects. Bit too soon for those. More like waking up at some ungodly hour this morning, and having done a lot of walking already today, most but not all of it getting too and from Ballybrit.

I am here now and it is very well run, can't fault it. I will be walking back to my car at 1450, 30 minutes after my scheduled time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1229376/?__twitter_impression=true

Good old Galway. Imagine being closed for nearly 18 months & then having to deal with this sh** when being told they can only trade outdoors - on top of mounting debt, struggling to hire staff, trying to maintain outdoor areas in Irish weather. Absolutely ridiculous.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1229376/?__twitter_impression=true

Good old Galway. Imagine being closed for nearly 18 months & then having to deal with this sh** when being told they can only trade outdoors - on top of mounting debt, struggling to hire staff, trying to maintain outdoor areas in Irish weather. Absolutely ridiculous.

The law can be so troublesome sometimes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

The increase in the Indian variant may delay indoor pub opening too.

Any Galway cases of the Delta (Indian) variant?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭oxygenman

zell12 wrote: »
    Any Galway cases of the Delta (Indian) variant?

3 confirmed cases in GRETB training centre in Mervue yesterday, don't know if it's the Delta variant.
    Wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot more, place is full of young people from all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

oxygenman wrote: »
    3 confirmed cases in GRETB training centre in Mervue yesterday, don't know if it's the Delta variant.
    Wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot more, place is full of young people from all over the country.

Strange its not on the news if its true, have you proof of this there is nothing on their twitter or any other news platform surely if they had three cases they would close and isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Strange its not on the news if its true, have you proof of this there is nothing on their twitter or any other news platform surely if they had three cases they would close and isolate.

How would it be on the news?
    Does every cluster of Covid cases make the news?

These organisations are operating with strict Covid protocols using pods, limited numbers in classes, limited contact time etc
    It's likely that if the story is true, public health will do a risk assessment and based on that a decision will be made on closing the pod/group and/or maybe more.
    As far as I am aware the centre is closed to the public, outside of critical classes and essential staff.

There have been multiple cases in schools/colleges/pre-schools and workplaces over the past while that generally haven't resulted in a full scale closure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Any recent experiences with the delay between registering for the vaccine and the appointment date?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

xckjoo wrote: »
    Any recent experiences with the delay between registering for the vaccine and the appointment date?

Seems random. My wife had an appointment within a couple of days. For me, it was nearly 2 weeks. I've heard of others getting one within hours of registering and some waiting weeks... not much pattern to it that I can see.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Seems random. My wife had an appointment within a couple of days. For me, it was nearly 2 weeks. I've heard of others getting one within hours of registering and some waiting weeks... not much pattern to it that I can see.

I thought they were working down through oldest to youngest of those registered, not by registration order. Would that make sense in your scenario?

So a 36 year old cold register today, a 39 year old tomorrow and the 39 year old could be called a week or two earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I thought they were working down through oldest to youngest of those registered, not by registration order. Would that make sense in your scenario?

So a 36 year old cold register today, a 39 year old tomorrow and the 39 year old could be called a week or two earlier.

Nope. Seems much more random than that. There’s only a few months in age between my wife and I. I have friends a year or two younger than me who were called earlier than I was. This is the pattern I hear anecdotally from others too.

• Advertisement

A new walk-in Covid testing centre will open 29th in the old tourist office Forster Street. Open 1000-1700 seven days

Advertisement