Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job T's & C's

• 06-06-2021 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

I currently work in a semi state company and after waiting on a panel for nearly 2 years, I have been offered a new job with better pay. However I have since found out that any allowances I am entitled to under union agreements for working nights and weekends will be lower than those into the grade ahead of me. So effectively I will be doing the same job as others except earning less. Can they do this? I have brought it up with the trade union but I am still waiting for a response.

I would have thought that it would be illegal not to have equal pay for work of equal value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I would have thought that it would be illegal not to have equal pay for work of equal value?

It's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I currently work in a semi state company and after waiting on a panel for nearly 2 years, I have been offered a new job with better pay. However I have since found out that any allowances I am entitled to under union agreements for working nights and weekends will be lower than those into the grade ahead of me. So effectively I will be doing the same job as others except earning less. Can they do this? I have brought it up with the trade union but I am still waiting for a response.

Why would you think it would be illegal , you sound very niave

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The teacher's unions have spent 13 years trying to get new entrants back on the same scale as pre 08 staff and they haven't.

So either take the job for the sake of the bigger picture, or do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

In the real world of the private sector, people can negotiate their pay when they're taking up new jobs.

The reason is that you might think the work is equal value but different people with different experiences might contribute more.

By your own admission, you'd be getting better pay, so what's the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The teacher's unions have spent 13 years trying to get new entrants back on the same scale as pre 08 staff and they haven't.

So either take the job for the sake of the bigger picture, or do not.

The same union who agreed to the deal instead of taking pay cuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭KildareP

Those ahead of you will have had up to 2 more years' experience than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

ted1 wrote: »
    The same union who agreed to the deal instead of taking pay cuts.

Seems like their's was the better plan...

Advertisement