Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Investing €180k

Options
  • 05-06-2021 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I was saving for a house but decided against buying for the time being as I couldn't find anything that met my needs. I just signed a lease for another 12 months.

I have €180k deposit.

Currently:

€15k ETF
    €20k Prizebonds
    €125k Cash
    €10k Shares
    €10k P2P Lending and similar.

Obviously there is far too much cash there if I'm not buying short term.

I'm 28, full time job but will probably quit in 6 months or so for a career change. I could see myself buying in the next 1-3 years.

but would like to make my money work for me. I'd to hear others opinions on what they'd do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭3DataModem

If your horizon is 1-3 years then you need to decide what outcomes you want in 1-3 years.

The difference between making 6% and making 0% is 10,000 per year. Are you prepared to risk some of your capital to make this relatively small amount?

jun0858 wrote: »
    I was saving for a house but decided against buying for the time being as I couldn't find anything that met my needs. I just signed a lease for another 12 months.

I have €180k deposit.

Currently:

€15k ETF
    €20k Prizebonds
    €125k Cash
    €10k Shares

I'm 28, full time job but will probably quit in 6 months or so for a career change. I could see myself buying in the next 1-3 years.

but would like to make my money work for me. I'd to hear others opinions on what they'd do.

The return from prize bonds has reduced significantly. The nominal value is safe though. That and the cash (as you know) won't keep pace with house inflation.

What part of the country are you in?

The P2P, is that official or friends and family?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jun0858

The difference between making 6% and making 0% is 10,000 per year. Are you prepared to risk some of your capital to make this relatively small amount?

Yes I am happy to risk capital.
    The return from prize bonds has reduced significantly. The nominal value is safe though. That and the cash (as you know) won't keep pace with house inflation.

Yup, the prizebonds are basically my "cash" reserves for 6 months in case lose job etc. Will be loosing value but thats fine.

Dublin

Official, winding it down and most loans have been restructured due to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Underground

Would move cash from prizebonds and p2p lending into equities / ETF (should add that this would just be my preference in your situation) . This would be on the proviso that you don't need this money for 5+ years.

If you're looking to buy in 1-3 years then I wouldn't touch the cash pile, just continue to add to it.

Also the usual tidbits, max out your pension contributions if you haven't already, seek professional financial advice before making a final decision etc.

Have you a deposit goal in mind or just want to increase wealth?

I think, even in Dublin, house price inflation is most keen at the 1st time buyers level up to €300k or so. Not so higher, although will still increase year on year.

As said above capital will be at risk. Lots of people lose money on the stock market. I've a sizeable amount invested approx a year and I'm very happy so far.

• Advertisement

No deposit goal in mind. The apartments I've been looking at were new builds in 2017 and have gone down in value. I'd expect them to keep dropping a bit, unless the overall inflation increases everything significantly. Compared to the houses they are overpriced.

I made a good return on the stock market over the last 7 years and was very fortunate with crypto too. Sold up everything as was sale agreed but it fell through so now looking to reinvest.

My own one investment mantra is to avoid crypto and meme stocks like GME, and I wouldn't even consider myself Conservative. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 20,490 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The return from Prize Bonds has reduced significantly if you go back 10 years. But since August 2017 the expected return with average luck on €100K was €350 a year. This reduced to €250 in February this year. Not a significant consideration for anyone with that sort of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

If you plan to continue living in Ireland, pension is a good option but you won't be able to touch the money for a long time, hard to decide that at 28.

If you're planning to use the prize bonds as a cash/emergency fund, I'd be investing the full 125k in ETFs/ITs/DeFi platforms and get it working for you - exactly what will depend on your risk tolerance.
    Normally 6 months in cash is a lot but you're already planning to quit so I think it's ok here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

No deposit goal in mind. The apartments I've been looking at were new builds in 2017 and have gone down in value. I'd expect them to keep dropping a bit, unless the overall inflation increases everything significantly. Compared to the houses they are overpriced.

I made a good return on the stock market over the last 7 years and was very fortunate with crypto too. Sold up everything as was sale agreed but it fell through so now looking to reinvest.

I know you are here looking for advice yourself, so it’s ironic to ask you for help.;-) Would you have any advice on trading in crypto, which particular crypto currencies did you deal in?

• Advertisement

I know you are here looking for advice yourself, so it’s ironic to ask you for help.;-) Would you have any advice on trading in crypto, which particular crypto currencies did you deal in?

I had Bitcoin and Ethereum but was lucky to buy it back in 2013 and held until last month. Thats where the vast majority of the 180k came from.

Not sure I'm going to get back into crypto tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Buy the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,624 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

So that's where the 190k came from, Cool/
    I didn't think it came from work lol.

Fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

I had Bitcoin and Ethereum but was lucky to buy it back in 2013 and held until last month. Thats where the vast majority of the 180k came from.

Fair play, that’s amazing going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chuckie_Egg

I have €180k deposit.

Currently:

€15k ETF
    €20k Prizebonds
    €125k Cash
    €10k Shares

I think you are making a mistake by not buying a property. With 180k plus a low interest mortgage you have a lot of buying power now. In 12 months property prices will be making major rises again. We are in the middle of massive inflation which is only accelerating.

I think you are making a mistake by not buying a property. With 180k plus a low interest mortgage you have a lot of buying power now. In 12 months property prices will be making major rises again. We are in the middle of massive inflation which is only accelerating.

The apartments I am looking to live in are currently going down in price while I understand the market is going up overall.

I've viewed plenty of apartments over the last while but none that I would be happy to live in for the next 5-10 years so it doesn't make sense for me to buy now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The apartments I am looking to live in are currently going down in price while I understand the market is going up overall.

I've viewed plenty of apartments over the last while but none that I would be happy to live in for the next 5-10 years so it doesn't make sense for me to buy now.

What part of thr country is that ? All property is currently going up .

What part of thr country is that ? All property is currently going up .

Dublin, we're built in 2017 but the apartments were seriously overpriced at the time. Asking dropped 20k since 2017 but still not selling and since it's a sellers market there is only one reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Dublin, we're built in 2017 but the apartments were seriously overpriced at the time. Asking dropped 20k since 2017 but still not selling and since it's a sellers market there is only one reason.

Whats the reason?

• Advertisement

Whats the reason?

Overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Massive inflation. Any links to long term forecasts?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Why not leave some funds in it. Why zero. I mean now if you are not buying property.

Flinty997 wrote: »
    Why not leave some funds in it. Why zero. I mean now if you are not buying property.

Want to see how things settle for a month or so. Wouldn't be surprised if an exchange or two have liquidity issues soon which could cause another drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭HillCloudHop

Check out uranium related equities. Most of my portfolio is in this sector which has a laughably small market cap, yet supplies 10% of the world's electricity.

Sprott Physical Uranium Trust is likely to be listed on NYSE in the latter half of this year. This will bring a lot of liquidity to the area. U price is currently too low for mining to be profitable, so the price will have to increase substantially and likely overshoot in the next few years to avoid power plants shutting down. Look at the 2007 U bull market to see what kind of returns are possible.

An asymmetric investment in an unjustly hated sector which is desperately needed to combat climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Don’t forget you’ll probably have a CGT bill

Valhallapt wrote: »
    Don’t forget you’ll probably have a CGT bill

Have already deducted the CGT from the gains.

Advertisement