Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to drones. Please be gentle

Options
  • 03-06-2021 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi all. I'm looking at getting a drone. I have never had one before so it's all new to me.
    I am hoping to buy something that's user friendly but not a toy.
    I was told by a workmate to forget it unless I am prepared to spend over €1000 but surely I can get flying for a bit less. My questions I guess are, is it risky buying something like aDji Mavic Air or Air2 fly more bundle secondhand? Obviously I will check to make sure it hasn't been crashed, flight time and battery cycles, but is there anything else I should watch out for?

Also perhaps a silly question but is there really a huge difference between the quality of images and video from the Mavic Air2 and the Mavic Mini2 if both

I have been a hobby photographer for many years and I just want decent quality images from a different perspective.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Any DJI is pick up and fly, they sell drones starting at 500 i think, then 800 then 1100 and upwards. You will need some set up out of the box which more than you might expect for a newcomer, but follow a good guide online for th model you get.
    Other than that, all the DJI's are super simple to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭eronayne

Me follows 😀😀😀

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

DJI are the big player, but IMO far better value is available.
    Particularly if you take a look at FIMI X8 in its SE and smaller mini versions.
    Great performance, IMO excellent camera and far cheaper.
    Can be bought with multiple batteries in a fly more combo too.

The only downside is that should you require warranty service, you are likely dealing with a Chinese supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭naulpolan

I realise that all of them will require setting up and I have looked at the YouTube videos to no end. I realise that like all tech and indeed photo equipment you get what you pay for but I have invested heavily through the years and I simply can't justify spending a lot of money on one.
    My main concerns are regarding the pitfalls of buying a higher end equipment secondhand (and any potential pitfalls) or am I better off buying lower spec brand new?
    Is there much difference in video quality from one to another bearing in mind most in this range capture 4k

Are there any brands other than Dji worth considering?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭naulpolan

banie01 wrote: »
    DJI are the big player, but IMO far better value is available.
    Particularly if you take a look at FIMI X8 in its SE and smaller mini versions.
    Great performance, IMO excellent camera and far cheaper.
    Can be bought with multiple batteries in a fly more combo too.

The only downside is that should you require warranty service, you are likely dealing with a Chinese supplier.

Thank you. You answered my question before I had written it😂
    I will take a look at them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

I'd go for DJI. Fact, it costs more than others but accessibility to service is far superior compared to e.g. FIMI (unless you manage to buy it in shop in here). Also, apps and firmware updates are released pretty often. Currently on my 3rd DJI drone and never had any issues and their drones are super easy to fly, also Air line got superb performance even in very windy conditions plus got alot of safety and flight autonomy features

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Picked up the Mini 2 on Feb. This lads YouTube sold it for me. Unless you want avoidance sensors all over the shop then their may be really no need to go to the 1000 euro plus models and certainly not second hand.. there's alot to be said for the neat size of the mink especially if you have other equipment. Image quality is excellent. I can't fault mine.

Watch this guy's channel you'll get a huge amount of information.

https://youtu.be/JhXF2P8QC7o

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

I couldnt push myself to get mini as before it was released, got Air .... and never even thought to go mini way :). then got Air 2 and flew it in almost storm condition without any hassle, finally upgraded to Air 2s :)

Advertisement