Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Argh can't see last posts. Anyway got the strongest blast of depression yesterday evening, really sudden, really strong, had to leave the house. Felt like I was bursting out of my skin.. Awful experience and no amount of skills was going to tackle it..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Argh can't see last posts. Anyway got the strongest blast of depression yesterday evening, really sudden, really strong, had to leave the house. Felt like I was bursting out of my skin.. Awful experience and no amount of skills was going to tackle it..

How are you now, Grem? *hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

..ive only recently discovered the experience of 'depression attacks', is this what you could be experiencing, unsure if ive experienced them myself?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ..ive only recently discovered the experience of 'depression attacks', is this what you could be experiencing, unsure if ive experienced them myself?

I'd always have called them mood swings in my usual way of underselling things..

I'd always have called them mood swings in my usual way of underselling things..

I haven't had one of those sudden, catastrophic drops in mood in a long time, but remember well the sense of utter despair and emptiness and bleakness. They can be very frightening, sometimes more so in retrospect. Keep an eye on this, Grem. Anymore of these episodes get onto your psychiatrist and be sure to keep your partner clued in. Hope you're feeling a bit better now. *Hugs*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Well folks i do not recommend splitting antidepressants. Today i have had worst stomach cramps of my life, generally feel awful etc. Back to the drawing board and back up to 10mg tomorrow. Got to be extremely careful with these drugs.

fr336 wrote: »
    Well folks i do not recommend splitting antidepressants. Today i have had worst stomach cramps of my life, generally feel awful etc. Back to the drawing board and back up to 10mg tomorrow. Got to be extremely careful with these drugs.

When I was waning off Prozsc, (which can't be split as it's a capsule) I just took one on alternate days when my dose was halfed. Dont know if you can do that with cipramil, bit hou could check with your GP.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    When I was waning off Prozsc, (which can't be split as it's a capsule) I just took one on alternate days when my dose was halfed. Dont know if you can do that with cipramil, bit hou could check with your GP.

I did try this but felt so spaced out even on just the first day i didn't take it! Did you go one every second day, third day etc? How did it feel, you got used to missing doses?

I did try this but felt so spaced out even on just the first day i didn't take it! Did you go one every second day, third day etc? How did it feel, you got used to missing doses?

If I remember correctly, at that time I was on 40mg, which is two capsules, so at the start of coming off them I alternated 40mg/20mg for a fortnight, then, 20mg for a fortnight, then 20mg every second day. Yes, initially there were the spaced our feelings and the head shudders but when you taper off slowly it's a much gentler and faster process. Unfortunately, these withdrawals are part and parcel of SSRIs. I think you've experienced that a tiny dose can actually make you feel worse. I really think you should try the alternate days route and check back in with your gp about how gradually you can do it. If you plan your first 'no meds' day for a day when you can stay at home, you should be all right. The first day is usually the worst and it gets easier after that. Good luck with it.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, at that time I was on 40mg, which is two capsules, so at the start of coming off them I alternated 40mg/20mg for a fortnight, then, 20mg for a fortnight, then 20mg every second day. Yes, initially there were the spaced our feelings and the head shudders but when you taper off slowly it's a much gentler and faster process. Unfortunately, these withdrawals are part and parcel of SSRIs. I think you've experienced that a tiny dose can actually make you feel worse. I really think you should try the alternate days route and check back in with your gp about how gradually you can do it. If you plan your first 'no meds' day for a day when you can stay at home, you should be all right. The first day is usually the worst and it gets easier after that. Good luck with it.

Thanks a mil!

• Advertisement

fr336 wrote:

I've been splitting sertraline for about a year now, tis all good with me

Have to admit I dread the thoughts of a med change.. Hopefully it goes ok for you.

Have to admit I dread the thoughts of a med change.. Hopefully it goes ok for you.

Well I made it 30 miles to London on my own today so take that Citalopram!

Am at work, had another strong bout of despair type feeling. Getting here was hard.. Coming around a little now but it's fragile i think so just chill tunes on..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Am at work, had another strong bout of despair type feeling. Getting here was hard.. Coming around a little now but it's fragile i think so just chill tunes on..

Have you got tunein radio installed? 'ambient sleeping pill' is a good station, can't beat rte chill either!

Just picking bits from youtube, got a lot listed and pretty decent suggested stuff because of it.. Hope you are well..

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

I've been prescribed Escitalopram but the side effects warnings were a bit of a shock so I haven't started yet, although I had a bad day today and wish I had. Has anyone good experience with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭apache

Probes wrote: »
    I've been prescribed Escitalopram but the side effects warnings were a bit of a shock so I haven't started yet, although I had a bad day today and wish I had. Has anyone good experience with it?
    Try and not worry too much about the long list of side effects. If you believed them all you'd never take any medication ever.

What Apache said, reading the leaflet is sensible, however a lot of the side effects are an extremely rare risk..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Probes wrote: »

Based on my own experience and what my doctors have told me, expect an up to 8 week period to feel the full effects. I'm not on it anymore but was great while it lasted, best of luck give me a shout anytime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Probes

Thanks everyone, I was going to start it tonight but weirdly I’m feeling the best I have for a couple of months right now so it’s made me reluctant to start it, I’ll see how tomorrow is and start it tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Just started on medication two weeks ago. Been dealing with a mild to moderate depression for years now but only really faced up to it because online college stopped me in my tracks. I started on Vortioxetine, 10mg, which apparently is kinda uncommon especially as a first medication, but it’s worked a treat. Some side effects, slightly longer to eh, you know, but otherwise fine. Obviously I’m conscious it could wane but I’m hopeful. Can’t help but feel I’m incredibly lucky too.

I think myself and my psychiatrist have reached the end of our journey. How easy or difficult is it to get a referrel from one place to another?
    And of course you have to be smart and use your words wisely.

Going to Citalopram every second day for a month...wish me luck and no dizziness...

Going to Citalopram every second day for a month...wish me luck and no dizziness...

down to 50mg of sertraline now, mood wobbled a little at first, but all good now, best of luck

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    down to 50mg of sertraline now, mood wobbled a little at first, but all good now, best of luck

And to you!

apache wrote: »
    I think myself and my psychiatrist have reached the end of our journey. How easy or difficult is it to get a referrel from one place to another?
    And of course you have to be smart and use your words wisely.
    Got the referrel. No problems. Used my words wisely. Just a waiting game now until I am seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

My work place had a meeting yesterday to talk about hybrid working and I feel so nervous about going back. I'm looking for other work but there isn't anything. I'm on 10mg of Citalopram for ongoing digestive issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

My anxiety and OCD been doing a number with me lately. I'm washing my hands more than normal, my anxiety is crazy, and seems like every couple of days I sleep about 24 hours.

• Advertisement

I'm similar here RabbleRouser, i don't quite understand, back to see psychologist next week, pysch outpatients end of month. Head down and chug on i guess.

Have you any ideas or coping strategies set up?.

Advertisement