Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Let's all talk about Lewis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Gay isn't an insult anymore, it's 2021. People speculate about Hamilton and his character and identity and personality, all the time.

How's it fine to say you think he's a nob, but pathetic to speculate on his serial orientation?

I don't care what he eats for breakfast. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Gay isn't an insult anymore, it's 2021. People speculate about Hamilton and his character and identity and personality, all the time.

How's it fine to say you think he's a nob, but pathetic to speculate on his serial orientation?

I don’t think I mentioned anything about Hamilton’s character or identity, did I?

I don’t think I said it was fine to say Hamilton is a knob either, did I? Because it’s not really fine to post that kind of stuff about anyone, is it?

You’ve drawn a lot of conclusions there and all of them are incorrect.

When I said that the last few posts were pathetic it was a reflection on the speculative discussion around an individuals relationship status. This is the Motorsport forum, not the Daily Mail. I’d expect the discussion here to be a bit above the level of that kind of trash.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Kevski wrote: »
    I don’t think I mentioned anything about Hamilton’s character or identity, did I?

I don’t think I said it was fine to say Hamilton is a knob either, did I? Because it’s not really fine to post that kind of stuff about anyone, is it?

When I said that the last few posts were pathetic it was a reflection on the speculative discussion around an individuals relationship status. This is the Motorsport forum, not the Daily Mail. I’d expect the discussion here to be a bit above the level of that kind of trash.

On a serious note I have no interest in this kind of celebrity chat but if others have let them at it I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I didn't suggest you said any of those things. I said "people speculate about...", which is true, but I didn't mention you at all at all.

It's fine for you to not enjoy the chat. It's just a chat forum.

I didn't suggest you said any of those things. I said "people speculate about...", which is true, but I didn't mention you at all at all.

It's fine for you to not enjoy the chat. It's just a chat forum.

Why quote my post if you weren’t addressing me then?

It’s not the chat that’s the issue, it’s the content of the chat. How would you feel if there was a thread on boards where random strangers discussed your sexuality or your relationship status?

In your previous post you said the following in relation to Hamilton:
    Gay isn't an insult anymore, it's 2021.

That’s a pretty low standard of chat to be posting online about someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Why quote my post if you weren’t addressing me then?

It’s not the chat that’s the issue, it’s the content of the chat. How would you feel if there was a thread on boards where random strangers discussed your sexuality or your relationship status?

In your previous post you said the following in relation to Hamilton:

That’s a pretty low standard of chat to be posting online about someone.

It's a thread about Lewis, not about F1. Lewis himself is not all about F1. He's a megastar, very active on social media anywhere else he get his face in, so he has to expect all sorts of analyses. A lot of this analysis is negative, but he only has himself to blame for that with the way he carries on. He has no problem people speaking about his relationships when they occur, so it stands to reason that people can talk about the lack thereof too.

A lot of this analysis is negative, but he only has himself to blame for that with the way he carries on.

So if someone doesn’t like someone else’s personality (someone they most likely have never even met) then that makes it ok to post shíte about them online?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Was the last race just a blip for Lewis, and he'll be back in front now, the Ferrari crashing didn't help where he started the race, and any other race he'd probably have worked his way back up to nearer the front. I'm not a Lewis fan, nor a Max fan, but I'd like to see a good close championship, which looks like we're going to get.
    People love the downfall of a king I feel, but also it might just be the media are enjoying they've a close championship so far and don't need work hard trying to make it seem close when it was far from it the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

gsi300024v wrote: »
    Was the last race just a blip for Lewis, and he'll be back in front now, the Ferrari crashing didn't help where he started the race, and any other race he'd probably have worked his way back up to nearer the front. I'm not a Lewis fan, nor a Max fan, but I'd like to see a good close championship, which looks like we're going to get.
    People love the downfall of a king I feel, but also it might just be the media are enjoying they've a close championship so far and don't need work hard trying to make it seem close when it was far from it the last few years.
    Let's hope it was not just a blip. I want to see this go down to the wire and it would be great if Max won the WDC just to give Hamilton motivation to try and win it in the new cars next year and have an even closer championship then too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

If Lewis wins this year I can't see him hanging around, who knows though, but maybe he'd sail off into the sunset with a record 8 championships and relax. MAybe he'd like the challenge of a new car too though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Let’s hope that Mercedes don’t have such a dominant car next year.
    That would make it the first year ever that we can evaluate real Hamilton’s ability. So far his real potential has always been masked him by such a significant car advantage.

The last race was the Monaco circuit - the lease appropriate circuit on the calendar and is indicative of absolutely nothing else in the entire season. It really suited Ferrari who aren't at the top of the grid this year. It will be back to normal service this weekend with Red Bull and Mercedes in contention for the win.

Lewis was behind Bottas last week which suggests he didn't have a good weekend. Normal service will most likely resume this weekend

If Lewis wins this year I can't see him hanging around, who knows though, but maybe he'd sail off into the sunset with a record 8 championships and relax. MAybe he'd like the challenge of a new car too though.

I doubt winning this year is related to whether he stays on. Truth is we don't know what motivates him so we have decided it's all about the drivers' championship record. But we don't have a clue. Toto said they're negotiating a 2 year deal at the moment. No idea if that's true or not - could be a decoy. I think we won't know until he announces a new contract or retirement.

He's getting on for retirement age but not losing his edge. Might want to go out on top, might want to fight on for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

2011 wrote: »
    Let’s hope that Mercedes don’t have such a dominant car next year.
    That would make it the first year ever that we can evaluate real Hamilton’s ability. So far his real potential has always been masked him by such a significant car advantage.

I'm assuming you only started watching F1 during the Hybrid era.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Zookey123 wrote: »

Baffles me all the time. He has beaten every team-mate he has ever had including three world champions yet people act like this doesn't reflect anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭This is it

There's no doubt in my mind he's one of the greatest F1 drivers we've seen, no matter how much I dislike him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Faugheen wrote: »
    Baffles me all the time. He has beaten every team-mate he has ever had including three world champions yet people act like this doesn't reflect anything.

He had some bad seasons, but the good outweigh them.

He had some bad seasons, but the good outweigh them.

By his own standards, yes, but he has never finished outside of the top 5 in the World Championship.

That's incredible consistency.

By his own standards, yes, but he has never finished outside of the top 5 in the World Championship.

That's incredible consistency.

Handy when you only race for top teams for your career. :pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Zookey123 wrote: »

Nope.
    When do you think Hamilton has not had a car advantage in F1?

• Advertisement

Nope.
    When do you think Hamilton has not had a car advantage in F1?

2009, 2010, 2011, 2013.

Having said that, he was always in a team with huge resources and budgets. So a bad season for him is a good season for some. 2011 was one of his worst, him and Massa were magnetically drawn to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Awh, I miss the love they gave each other that year.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

2009, 2010, 2011, 2013.

So essentially you are saying the years he didn’t win the world championships are the years that he didn’t have the best car?
    You have just made my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭barryribs

So essentially you are saying the years he didn’t win the world championships are the years that he didn’t have the best car?

Name two years from the last 30 that the world champion didn't have the best car. I say two because the one that stands out is 07, McLaren beat themselves that year and Lewis threw the championship away in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

barryribs wrote: »
    Name two years from the last 30 that the world champion didn't have the best car. I say two because the one that stands out is 07, McLaren beat themselves that year and Lewis threw the championship away in China.

Did Schumacher ever have the best car?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Does 2003 count?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭barryribs

Does 2003 count?
    Arguably, but not after the Ferrari/Bridgestone protests

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

In 2009 Mclaren finished with a third of the points of the overall winners Brawn F1. 2010 till 2013 was red bull domination. In 2008 Lewis's first WDC Mclaren actually lost to Ferrari in constructors. Are you seriously suggesting he had a "significant car advantage" then? Even in the years his team got trounced in the constructors?

If we’re not counting years that the best car won the championship then Button, who is highly regarded by many here, is bang average. Likewise Vettel’s four WC’s.

Why were none of Hamilton’s team-mates, which included 3 world champions, able to beat him overall? Only two seasons out 14 has a team-mate beaten him in the WC. One of them (Button) he responded by beating him the following year and the other (Rosberg) retired. Surely that’s a better barometer than ‘errr the car’? How about who was racing beside him?

There is a conscious effort to discredit all of Hamilton’s achievements and it’s out of nothing but pure hatred.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

If we’re not counting years that the best car won the championship then Button, who is highly regarded by many here, is bang average. Likewise Vettel’s
    four WC’s.

Why were none of Hamilton’s team-mates, which included 3 world champions, able to beat him overall? Only two seasons out 14 has a team-mate beaten him in the WC. One of them (Button) he responded by beating him the following year and the other (Rosberg) retired. Surely that’s a better barometer than ‘errr the car’? How about who was racing beside him?

There is a conscious effort to discredit all of Hamilton’s achievements and it’s out of nothing but pure hatred.

If you compare Lewis to Bottas during the latter's Merc career (2017+), Lewis has had only one technical DNF in that time compared to Bottas' eight. Add in Bottas' awful luck on many occasions (Baku puncture, Silverstone puncture a few laps before Lewis, pit fcuk-ups at Sakhir and again last week, etc.). Yes, Lewis is a better driver than Bottas, but damn does he get all the luck going.

Advertisement