Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dyson Sphere Program

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I bought it, but haven't tried it yet. Have read stuff like the localisation is still very rough but that it's also quite fully featured already and a bit of a bargain at the moment. Might wait for a couple more patches and jump in. Plus even when I'm not playing factorio I'm thinking about factorio.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I got it and played it for a bit. It is really good if you like that type of game. And best thing is, it stays unique compared to Satisfactory and Factorio.

Another positive is that it has a lot of content and pretty solid for Early access game.

Definitely thumbs up from me. I would play it more, but I am on crack addiction called POE.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I plan to buy either this or satisfactory at some stage, not ruling out factorio but these looks nicer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,134 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1366540/view/3085505759861267118

This next update looks to be lit. They have added "10,000 lines of code" JUST to the construction system to facilitate what looks to be uber intelligent chain-building. Belter-smelters and refineries etc. all will be pretty easy to slap down en masse. A new Global galaxy map will be hosted online that will serve as the Leaderboard for every player, using players save data I guess. They also teased new planet types and foundation block colors.

Finally, the wizards went to the added trouble of doing a really intense optimization pass at the engine to give massive gains in multithreaded CPU performance having pie-charted everything the CPU is eating up load to do for the game:
    Multi-threading will be realized in the main logic to optimize the efficiency of CPU loading in late game.

We have conducted a comprehensive analysis of an savedata that produces 10800 Universe matrix per minute, and located the CPU consumption of each logical part. In the following development step, we will use multithreading to optimize these systems in sequence.

We tested the core code on various types of CPUs and Windows 7 systems to ensure the compatibility of this update.
    b40e752eec9a6b0590d831631d6e51b8bd50c793.png

81b926ba1db4f2c984c79af309915def8be76485.png

Fyi, that update landed yesterday but you do need to start a new save. Shall get playing it later on this evening.

• Advertisement

protonmike wrote: »
    Fyi, that update landed yesterday but you do need to start a new save. Shall get playing it later on this evening.

I only glanced at it, but its a huge one. Something about having your little part of galaxy and able to see other doing their bit in their little region. It sounds like glorified scoreboard, but still cool.

Haven't played in a long time as I just waited for more updates as its getting a pain in a whole with EA games, when they overhaul whole systems in games like this and you need to relearn even more stuff.

So decided to give it another go now after all updates and I am 6h in on new save. 800h between Factorio and Satisfactory payed off - I managed to make planet scale spaghetti!

Game definitely got better and got a lot more quality of life improvements. Still very very early in game, but I really loving it now. I haven't even left the original planet yet!

Main thing to understand that it is a factory game, but its still stays very unique compared the other 2 giants. Love little details that you never though about in other games like this. For example solar panels. Due to being on actual planet that rotates, you plan your solar farms accordingly. Instead of making one big one, you might make two smaller ones, but in different parts of the planet. It will give you less power, but it will be more consistent. Night time on one side, means day time on the other. Really love that.

So decided to give it another go now after all updates and I am 6h in on new save. 800h between Factorio and Satisfactory payed off - I managed to make planet scale spaghetti!

Game definitely got better and got a lot more quality of life improvements. Still very very early in game, but I really loving it now. I haven't even left the original planet yet!

Main thing to understand that it is a factory game, but its still stays very unique compared the other 2 giants. Love little details that you never though about in other games like this. For example solar panels. Due to being on actual planet that rotates, you plan your solar farms accordingly. Instead of making one big one, you might make two smaller ones, but in different parts of the planet. It will give you less power, but it will be more consistent. Night time on one side, means day time on the other. Really love that.

Yep, I love the considerations with it. I only got Factorio as a result of it. Wish I'd discovered that one earlier on in lockdown. Weird how factory building has become a thing that I can love.

Yep, I love the considerations with it. I only got Factorio as a result of it. Wish I'd discovered that one earlier on in lockdown. Weird how factory building has become a thing that I can love.

Factorio was a game that pretty much ruined a lot of games for me. What? You want me to go and make by hand all those 20 iron bars to make this stupid sword? I need to mine ore by hand? Then smelt it? Then I can finally Smith it? Get out!

Seriously, Factorio made me discover my huge love to factory games. Then Satisfactory came in too. The best part they are both so different and challenge you in different ways so I deciding which one is favourite is like choosing between your children. Now we got this little gem, which mixes up formula in different way. It makes me really happy, because everyone decided to male their own take on genre, instead of copying Factorio, like it was with first person shooter era and Cod.

Factorio was a game that pretty much ruined a lot of games for me. What? You want me to go and make by hand all those 20 iron bars to make this stupid sword? I need to mine ore by hand? Then smelt it? Then I can finally Smith it? Get out!

Seriously, Factorio made me discover my huge love to factory games. Then Satisfactory came in too. The best part they are both so different and challenge you in different ways so I deciding which one is favourite is like choosing between your children. Now we got this little gem, which mixes up formula in different way. It makes me really happy, because everyone decided to male their own take on genre, instead of copying Factorio, like it was with first person shooter era and Cod.
    Factory games feel like a weird logical progression for people who loved city build games... The next step is us genetically engineering species from scratch in some incredibly versatile way. :pac:

• Advertisement

Factory games feel like a weird logical progression for people who loved city build games... The next step is us genetically engineering species from scratch in some incredibly versatile way. :pac:

Actually you spot on. I loved Settlers style games. Input, output, different products etc. Its almost same thing, but maybe more complex.
    Loved building trains in Factorio and Satisfactory, so now I am very deep in to Transport Fever 2 too.

Actually you spot on. I loved Settlers style games. Input, output, different products etc. Its almost same thing, but maybe more complex.
    Loved building trains in Factorio and Satisfactory, so now I am very deep in to Transport Fever 2 too.

Yep, it's very much so a type of personality that they play to and honestly a great illustration of how gaming can challenge a person at a logical level.

So I am about 12h in total to my current save and this game keeps surprising me in a very good way.

Still very early technology wise, but i already had to leave my starter planet and find some titanium. It was actually really cool experience, when you get the grasp how big world is. Obviously there are no planets with all resources you would need so making a small outpost on distant planet to keep making you Titanium bars was really satisfying. I just do a run every now and then to bring some up, until I can setup interplanetary logistics.
    As I already mentioned, being on rotating planet was a really cool touch that makes atmosphere of the game very unique. What made it even cooler I noticed all those small Solar Sails I sent out to Sun's orbit appear in sky in a form of giant ring of dots. Its details like this that make this game so fun. Can't wait to be able to build actual Dysons Spehere now!
    Upgrading your Robot feels very satisfying. Every time I manage to upgrade something it feels like you achieve something and all that spaghetti was not for nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Tried this out earlier, I get it's made by a really small dev team in China but wow the localisation is something. I don't really get how either as they have an English voice actor doing the narration... Surely he'd realise what he was saying didn't make sense.

Advertisement