Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PPC Hybrid December 2020/2021

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 honeybadger123

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of doing the hybrid course commencing Dec 21/Jan22. I am just wondering how all of you find the workload of PPC1, especially those of you who are working in your training firm during PPC1 as I will be working myself. Do you feel like you are swamped/managing/flying it? Is it enjoyable and/or doable while working full time? Are there any other benefits? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 4 123chloe

Hey guys, does anyone know if there’s a thread for those who intend on going to PPC1 in September? I can’t find one. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Wonderstruck

123chloe wrote: »
    Hey guys, does anyone know if there’s a thread for those who intend on going to PPC1 in September? I can’t find one. Thanks

You can use this one if you like sure it has 2021 in the title, I can gift it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

So I was looking to apply to PPC Hybrid (I Know the deadline is in October). I'm very confused by the info on the LS website. I have just started my traineeship this week and I haven't applied yet to "Consent to Enter into Indentures of Apprenticeships". Is this the first step? Because the "new" forms for entering into your indentures are 3 and 4A if I'm not mistaken.

These forms on the LS website have a huge "SAMPLE" text over them so obviously they can't be used. Where can I find these forms so I can fill them out and register my traineeship with the LS?

Lallers96 wrote: »
    So I was looking to apply to PPC Hybrid (I Know the deadline is in October). I'm very confused by the info on the LS website. I have just started my traineeship this week and I haven't applied yet to "Consent to Enter into Indentures of Apprenticeships". Is this the first step? Because the "new" forms for entering into your indentures are 3 and 4A if I'm not mistaken.

These forms on the LS website have a huge "SAMPLE" text over them so obviously they can't be used. Where can I find these forms so I can fill them out and register my traineeship with the LS?

Does it look like this?

https://smallpdf.com/result#r=b366d8a40884a0b6534a4c2eab57c0e4&t=share-document

There's also some form for you PPSN looks like this:

https://smallpdf.com/shared#st=392d729b-aff7-4e22-a8ea-a043c50bc188&fn=PPS+Form+2020_+%281%29.docx&ct=1622827971041&tl=share-document&rf=link

Have they been changed?

I can't view the first pdf you have?

Also I couldnt see a PPS form anywhere on the PPC Application

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lelila

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of doing the hybrid course commencing Dec 21/Jan22. I am just wondering how all of you find the workload of PPC1, especially those of you who are working in your training firm during PPC1 as I will be working myself. Do you feel like you are swamped/managing/flying it? Is it enjoyable and/or doable while working full time? Are there any other benefits? TIA

Hi. I started the hybrid course in January of this year. It's actually really full on. We have tutorials every second week (all Friday afternoon & all day Saturday) on Zoom. You have to prepare for the tutorials & you have to participate in them as they're in small groups. So that's tiring of itself. In the meantime, they release lectures which you need to listen to, to prepare the tutorial work. The LS recently wrote to all training solicitors to tell them we should be working a 4 day week max. It would be really hard to do the course while working 5 days. There's a lot to it, but it's interesting. And the exam is an open book exam. Plus as we're all already working in legal firms, there's a lot of it we know already. It's a lot easier than the FE1s. I hope that helps.

It's good to hear that PPC is easier than the FE1s because it sounds very front loaded and full on

Hi all, is it likely that the hybrid course fills up? I’ve always been so focused on the fe1s I’ve never before considered that I might not get a place in blackhall :/

also in terms of the application, can anyone suggest good people for the character reference? I know this is obviously individual to each person but any ideas would help.. I’m unsure who to ask..

1. Unlikely, it's online so they can squeeze in more than you think.

2. I am training where I already work so I asked two different former managers who weren't my training solicitor to sign it for me, I had like 4 days to get the docs together. If you have nothing like that ask your absolute soundest college lecturer to sign it for you. If nothing for that anyone of standing in the community, like you ever volunteered with anything.

I just wrote a template for them and let them amend it accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

Hi everyone... I'm about to send in my application for PPC hybrid 2021/22. Does anyone know if you dont have all 8 FE1s does it matter? I've passed 6 and I'm sitting the last two in two weeks. Just wondering if they will consider my application or wait til my results are out. Thanks :)

You need all 8 passed before you apply to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fe1fi20

I was told I can apply while waiting for the last results

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Anyone doing the course..

How mandatory are the onsite and online weekends? I've applied for Hybrid starting in January and just looking at the dates there's one of each I won't make due to family weddings. Is it a %attendance situation or what?

If it's a Skills Tutorial they are complusary I think if you miss them you'll have to catch up with the full time students or in the next PPC group. If its regular tutorials, stuff like that happens and you'll be fine.

How did it work last year when people were waiting for their FE1 results to see if they got into the hybrid?

They just missed the first month but they caught up later. Some did show up pre results but there wasn't a need.

When doing the Hybrid, is your solicitor obliged to pay you for the Onsite or online weekends in the same way the standard PPC students are obliged to be paid for their time in Blackhall?

This is on top of the 4 days work you do during the week.

Say it depends on the solicitor! Where I work paid me for 5 days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭channing90

Anyone have a clear idea of the workload required for ppc hybrid and is it lectures for the full Saturday 2 times a month,are your weekends pretty much gone with it?

Also is it 2 Fridays in the month you need to take off ?

Flag

Quote Thanks!

I have heard of more people working 3 day weeks than 4 day weeks in order to manage the workload and get sufficient rest

Jesus I don't know how they swung getting only 3 days. I work 4 as it stands but if I asked for 3 that would be pushing it

What’s the timing of the online weekends like? If they commence at 4pm on Fridays do they go on very late?

Is there any sign of a timetable for the Hybrid?

Also do people think that the Onsite weekend on the 14th go ahead?

Yeah I'm wondering the same. I thought that we would get it the week before Christmas or this week, but it's looking less likely. Would be nice to know.

I'd say onsite will go ahead, schools are back anyway.

• Advertisement

Not a single on-site class for PPC Hybrid 1 2020 and the schools were open months :p I doubt they'll bother at all with on-site, I heard the tutors like online too (I had a lot of tutors from down the country so makes sense) so it suits them too.

Hey guys, anyone who is currently doing the PPC Hybrid (i.e. Started this time last year), can you let me know if it is okay if you have to miss a live lecture? I know the tutorials and workshops are compulsory, but what about the live lectures? I may have to miss one in the near future.

It depends on the lecture, if it's skills you'd better not miss it. I can't even recall if there was one for skills. The lectures are cameras and mics off you could just log in no one would know if you're paying attention ;)

Advertisement