Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internal sliding doors

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Not the same as your link but we did a double sliding door with the Hafele stuff when we built the house. Similar to this system

01748130_0.jpg

The rail was sat in a sandwich of two partitions and the doors seamlessly opened into the wall in theory, most times... reality for us was there was issue with the rail, it was a nightmare to access, bottom used to go out of alignment as well now and again. Probably more installation issues and the selection of the system but it lasted two years before herself decided to go back to doubledoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

My parents have double doors that slide back into the wall between the sitting room and dining room. They're heavy and pretty solid (big glass panel surrounded by wood, like the ones in your picture, but when open they're hidden on both sides).

They're mostly kept open, but work great when they're closed - helps reduce noise between the two rooms (e.g. if some people are watching TV, and others are chatting in the other room). They've never had any issues with them, but neither are they being opened and closed multiple times a day, and they aren't handled roughly.

I suspect if you had teenagers slamming them open and closed all day every day they might not do so well.

With the type you've linked I'd have two concerns - one is that you can't put anything on the "open" wall - how would that affect future furniture placement?

The second is that they won't be "soundproof", if that's what you're looking for - in that picture there'll always be a slight gap about the width of the skirting board.

So it depends on why you want a door there? To keep in heat? To keep out noise? Something else? Do you think it will spend most of its time open or closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

We have similar doors set up in 2 places as sliders that run along the outside of the wall. From experience, spend the money on getting a good rail system and secondly (and perhaps more importantly) get someone to fit it properly. I had to take ours down and re-do it my self to ensure it was correctly aligned.

My mother in law has a recessed sliding door and it is a far superior job. Looks better, smoother to use etc. I would choose this type if doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

The trick to getting the pocket door system right, is to have one side of the liners easily removable for adjustments. A liner frame that can be fitted using a French cleat at a slight downward slope system on the jambs hidden by the architraves makes easy removal of the liner to expose the rail and runner mechanism.

Advertisement