Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What fertiliser to use

Options
  • 03-06-2021 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi. I just got my meadow field soil sampled and I know I need a lot off lime, and my P is very poor. I need to spread fertiliser this weekend and need help on what to sow. I know it’s not going to be great but I am not sure what to go with.
    I’ve attached pc picture below
    Thanks

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0vVGZ3VwJE0BpXbV-jh-wLMLQ[/IMG]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Matty6270 wrote: »
    Hi. I just got my meadow field soil sampled and I know I need a lot off lime, and my P is very poor. I need to spread fertiliser this weekend and need help on what to sow. I know it’s not going to be great but I am not sure what to go with.
    Thanks

3 t per acre of ground lime per acre first and foremost ,not much point spreading p and k till ph is corrected as won’t all be available to plant

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Matty6270

Yes but I can’t spread now as to close to cutting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mahoney_j wrote: »
    3 t per acre of ground lime per acre first and foremost ,not much point spreading p and k till ph is corrected as won’t all be available to plant

3 ton too much for 1 application

I'd go 2 very max and something similar 3 to 4 years time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

time to improve p and k indexes is autum or winter,going out with compounds thid time of year only leads to grass soaking it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Thanks

150kgs/acre Cut sward and hope for the best, get the silage cut out of the way.
    Start with the lime then as soon after cutting as you can. It'll take years to get it right and longer if you're taking silage off it without putting back the slurry produced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Yes but I can’t spread now as to close to cutting

Whats on the field currently? Crop of silage?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Whats on the field currently? Crop of silage?

And how farm from cutting

Slava Ukrainii

It has been eat off by sheep and topped. So I cud go with 3 bags of cut swarth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

It has been eat off by sheep and topped. So I cud go with 3 bags of cut swarth ?

3 bags gran lime first then 10 10 20’.gran lime will give a quick response but ground lime better long term

Is it ok to put gran lime on now ? Just heard of guys before putting on lime with the fertiliser and when it was opened in the winter it was rotten

So u think 3 bags of lime and how many off 10-10-20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Is it ok to put gran lime on now ? Just heard of guys before putting on lime with the fertiliser and when it was opened in the winter it was rotten

No issue in going with granlime now as well as fertiliser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Dunedin wrote: »
    No issue in going with granlime now as well as fertiliser.

+1
    Worked for me without issue

Put does it not take a long time for lime to work. I will be cutting in 6-7 weeks. It might not make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Put does it not take a long time for lime to work. I will be cutting in 6-7 weeks. It might not make a difference

Not gran lime (spread with the fertilizer spreader) but it only lasts about 6 months
    Ground lime (spread with a lime spreader) should not be spread at the same time as other fertilizer and should not be spread within 3-6 months of cutting silage

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Often used granlime on silage ground it needs to be bare. 2 bags/ acre granlime. After that you need NPK. Depending on when you are cutting but you it 6-7 weeks time I go with 4 bags of 18-6-12/ acre.

While K may be spread in autumn P should be spread in spring. With sheep I presume you have no slurry. From your soil test is you K at level three. If it is its ok.

If you need P&K together change over to spreading 18-6-12 all the time. Get in slurry if you can but in reality you would want to be getting it for nothing to pay you.

On lime ideally you need to spread in Spring to get real value a lot of the fine particles can be washed away on wet ground over the winter. What every you do get lime onto the farm

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

I put out gran lime between first and second cuts one year. Cows didn’t like the 2nd cut after it. Always wondered was it the lime... wouldn’t do it again anyway. Waited till after finished silage last year and spread it then. Great first cut this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    I put out gran lime between first and second cuts one year. Cows didn’t like the 2nd cut after it. Always wondered was it the lime... wouldn’t do it again anyway. Waited till after finished silage last year and spread it then. Great first cut this year.

Don’t think granlime would have any bearing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭memorystick

orm0nd wrote: »
    3 ton too much for 1 application

I'd go 2 very max and something similar 3 to 4 years time

No it’s not. It it needs 3 ton give it 3 ton. Penny wise and pound foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Grueller

I was always led to believe by an advisor here that our type of land can only absorb 2 tonnes per acre at a time and if more is needed split it over multiple dressings a year apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

I don't think it's to do with cost. It's generally not reccomended to spread more than 2 ton in 1 application even where there's a bigger requirement. Another 2 ton could be spread 2 years later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement