Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paying off PCP early, is there a catch?

Options
  • 04-06-2021 8:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭

Looked at a few cars recently, new offering PCP at 0% but no information on what happens if I want to pay off early. They seem very keen. Is there a catch if I opt to pay off early ie after about 3 or 6 months?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Water2626262

Interest might front loaded so you’ll pay a premium to pay it off early.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you can afford to pay off the PCP why don't you buy the car with the cash instead of a loan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Del2005 wrote: »
    If you can afford to pay off the PCP why don't you buy the car with the cash instead of a loan?

Presumably because some are at 0%, may as well use the bank's money as his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

If you get a 0% PCP deal then i don't see why you would even want to pay it off earlier. As above, let the issuing bank take the hit on the funds and invest your own into something that will give you a return over the three years, rather than dropping it all onto a depreciating asset.

0% is basically a free loan, take advantage of it to the full!

Also on your original question, if it's a 0% deal then paying it off early won't generally result in any additional costs for you, but make sure you read the fine print on your PCP agreement just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

dar83 wrote: »
    If you get a 0% PCP deal then i don't see why you would even want to pay it off earlier.

Because one wants to sell the car earlier for whatever reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I've paid off a couple of PCP's early (sold the cars before the term was up) and its no different to any other variable-rate loan. In my case, neither of them were 0% so I saved a few hundred in interest payments by paying them off early. In the case of a 0% deal, you won't save anything.

I wasn't charged any penalties for paying early.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

grogi wrote: »
    Because one wants to sell the car earlier for whatever reason.

That's probably the only reason alright...

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

My pcp is coming to two years, I have the cash to pay off early which I’m going to do. I just ask the finance company for a settlement figure is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dmigsy

My pcp is coming to two years, I have the cash to pay off early which I’m going to do. I just ask the finance company for a settlement figure is that right?

Yeah just call them to inform them and get the settlement figure and the bank details to transfer the payment to. You might run into daily transfer limits depending on your bank and the sum outstanding. I did the same earlier in the year as I was selling my car a few months before the PCP was up. I had to split the full repayment into two payments over a couple of days due to the transfer limits. Think the limit was 10k per day with my bank.

Advertisement