Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Business Chit Chat thread

Options
  • 02-06-2021 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭

Apologies for the boring thread title but if anyone has a better idea, please let us know. :)

Lots going on in business at the moment, unbelievable change behind us and loads more still ahead.

This thread is for little thoughts and ideas we might have. I also love talking about business. I’m sure I’m not alone.

Please don’t post anything you can’t back up and always remember, attack the post and not the poster.

Here goes.........

What’s going on at KFC?

I notice they’ve stopped trading at Omni Shopping Centre and Clarehall. I thought all fast food places were doing well. Or have the usually prudent owners moved to a centralised system in cheaper, out of the way premises?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Good idea for a thread!

I have no knowledge of the business but have always thought that any KFC I've been in looks and feels like it's just not run very well when compared to Mcdonalds.

Not a huge fan of Mcdonalds products but from a business perspective, it has always impressed me.
    Presume KFC use the same franchise model?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

The lack of a drive-in facility at each may also be a reason. Landlords probably couldn’t deliver alternatives without planning problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Good idea to hopefully get more interaction going thats not specific to people's questions.

I'm in Edinburgh and they've definitely had very different lockdowns locally here too. McDonald's had to open a new drive thru system to handle all the extra they were doing and it was one of the ones they said saw no decline in sales when it went take away only despite being in a retail park that saw 90%+ drop in footfall. Meanwhile the KFC tried to compete for a while but ended up fully closing until restrictions eased this time and even now it seems pretty quiet its in a worst spot but they're pretty much within sight of each other.

I thought you were the King of Capel Street Jimmii. ;)

I thought you were the King of Capel Street Jimmii. ;)

Once upon a time! That's where we started crazy looking at back now I think we do everything differently to back then lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I think the next few months are going to be very interesting as offices open back up and skilled workers say no to going back in. Remote work is here to stay, and if organisations don't embrace it, they're going to lose talent to those who do.

Trojan wrote: »
    I think the next few months are going to be very interesting as offices open back up and skilled workers say no to going back in. Remote work is here to stay, and if organisations don't embrace it, they're going to lose talent to those who do.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how it plays out. So long as the work gets done I couldn't care less about where it was done from. I'm sure someone big will fight against it. Having said that if I was offered it I probably wouldn't want to work from home full time I just don't feel I'm as productive that way I would probably go in half the time and try pick up a local office to work from or something. I don't know what it's like for others but I suck at working from home!

jimmii wrote: »
    Once upon a time! That's where we started crazy looking at back now I think we do everything differently to back then lol!

Intriguing. :) Feel free to share anytime ;)

Intriguing. :) Feel free to share anytime ;)

Interesting to see Capel Street is going pedestrian soon. Or at least in part. Hard to know how it's going to change the street but I think it could be good for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Trojan wrote: »

The CEO of the multinational I work for sent out an email a couple of weeks ago basically saying that a return to office was expected. Not full time at all, in fact less time in the office than at home, but the expectation was that office based work was to become the norm again. The tone of the message seemed to run very much counter to what everyone wants - the choice for themselves. Could be coincidence but since that email was sent out an unusually high number of notices were handed in, especially in the states.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I feel like a lot of people will be happy to go back to work. Personally, I was dying to get out of my house. Also, plenty have discovered that they liked the community of their job much more than their actual work. Those people are probably on the look out for new jobs now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

And another thing that’s been bothering me lately………

All of Sean Quinn’s businesses were renamed to Mannok a good few years ago but all the former Quinn Packaging products still bear the ‘Q’ on them. Why? 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

I thought all had name-changed? But I’m not surprised if it has not happened. I would worry about changing a business name were I a senior executive in a former Quinn company. I would not want to be stripped, held in a horsebox, tortured, have initials carved into my chest with a Stanley knife, beaten with a baseball bat, dowsed with bleach and left in my boxers on a country road. Sadly, there are people out there who still believe that Sean Q and family are ‘wonderful people’, that Sean still walks on water, did nothing wrong (despite several courts finding to the contrary) and is a great lad. And the pitiable lot currently in power here have no idea about bringing laws on corporate responsibility up to date (e.g. SEAR)  and the Shinners are even worse.

So you think it’s because of threats to the owners? Hadn’t thought of that. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

It simply was the last part to be rebranded. Their LinkedIn page was only created last December.

It's probably the least consumer facing part of the business, but you may see the q mark on packaging for a while yet as the cost of moulds is quite high. A simple diecut cardboard mould is about €800, a packaging form mould for a tray of meat is probably the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Something I've often wondered, has anyone ever found a partner though the 'Business Partner' thread in this forum?

Feedback is not compulsory I’m afraid. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 11,517 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Lot of variation I find. Some people want back to the office some people want to stay away from it. Both equally valid from their perspectives.

Though I will say I find many who are promoting things like better communication and social interaction in the office are usually the people who do neither of those things.

Jesus, 5 months since the last contribution. We need to talk more 😋

Was meaning to post this all week but love A Post’s new digital stamp. A game changer.

Was in Tesco’s Clarehall branch during the week. Quiet as a mouse with people wandering around with empty baskets trying to find where stuff is now. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Anyone else subscribe to The Currency? Highly recommended…….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭sugarman20

Love the Currency. For anyone thinking of subscribing they usually offer a discount for Black Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

I subscribed but got rid of it this year. Thought it was a bit pricey for the quality of articles everyday also thought it was pushing alot towards tech/funding/financing articles rather with their mates

Can a business be a work of art?

I was talking to the managing partner of an IP law firm about an idea I have that ‘would change the way the world does business’. Do you know what he said?

I was going to do that! 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭scottygee

It's been some months of everyone talking about the rise of AI and Chat GPT. I feel like my head is spinning from everything I read trying to at least form an opinion if not find a practical use of AI to make my work easier. 

Have you actually tried it or just read about other people using it?

Been using it a week now and it is beyond amazing. A personal assistant that knows everything!

Huge opportunities lie ahead for Ireland as a destination. But we need to be brave and do something different.

We were the first country in the world to ban smoking indoors so we should ban smoking/vaping cannabis. 50% of the world hate the smell of cannabis. No smell in Ireland. 😋

admin: post snipped.

Post edited by awec on

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tessajonas252

It seems that KFC is undergoing some changes in its operations. They've recently stopped trading at the Omni Shopping Centre and Clarehall locations. This might raise questions about the overall health of fast-food businesses, as one might assume they're generally doing well. It's possible that KFC's owners are shifting to a more centralized system with less expensive, out-of-the-way premises. This could be a strategic move to cut costs or adapt to changing market conditions. It's always interesting to see how businesses evolve and respond to challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Like everything, it has pros and cons. Last week I used AI to create a video of a 1960s presenter, plus a still image of myself, I fed a transcript of another interview I did, and turned all of that into a 100% AI generated video of me being interviewed. AI created all the audio, video and the words of the transcript (which were ~95% accurate to what I'd say).

But that's just playing around, that's not what I use it for day to day. I use it extensively for brainstorming, rewriting, and reformatting. But it doesn't have expert insights, it's just averaging the dataset it's trained on, so you need to be super careful about how you use the output (which is what my AI clone said in the interview) 😀

It's on my podcast if you'd like to see the video.

• Advertisement

How much time did it save you? Multiply that by Billions. Work, gone. We're all going to have to learn to chill. I wonder how?

Advertisement