Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long should cycling shoes last for ?

Options
  • 01-06-2021 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

Maybe a better way of putting it, how many kms should a cyclist expect to get out of a pair of shoes before they start to lose their effectiveness ?

The question struck me this morning whilst out on a spin (proof positive that the mind wanders to all sorts of thoughts when out for a spin ! ), my current shoes have about 20K on them, and whilst I FEEL they still work well and are sufficiently stiff etc., just wondering from the collective experience on this forum as to typically when I should be looking to replace them ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

jrar wrote: »
    Maybe a better way of putting it, how many kms should a cyclist expect to get out of a pair of shoes before they start to lose their effectiveness ?

The question struck me this morning whilst out on a spin (proof positive that the mind wanders to all sorts of thoughts when out for a spin ! ), my current shoes have about 20K on them, and whilst I FEEL they still work well and are sufficiently stiff etc., just wondering from the collective experience on this forum as to typically when I should be looking to replace them ?

Thanks

I have 50k km on mine and they still seem to work fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Inquitus wrote: »
    I have 50k km on mine and they still seem to work fine :)

I'm the same, have somewhere between 50-60k km on mine. Shimano R220 which have a carbon sole so still stiff as a board, good many years old now but great shoes. Commuting through the city centre these past few years in them also so get plenty of abuse, only ever had to replace the cleats a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,483 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Just keep an eye on the latest colours from the fashion houses of Paris, that's when I know when I need to replace mine....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I've just replaced my original pair that I bought 10 years ago now. The velcro on the straps only has about 1/3 of it still working and parts of the heel that had reflective inserts has ripped and fallen off. I'll still keep them for commuting until they become un-useable though

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Maxx355

I have a pair of Sidi cycling shoes since the early 90s and are as good as the day I got them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If they look and feel fine then they probably are. Excessive wear will be as obvious as it would be for regular shoes, football boots, etc.

SPD-SL cleats and heel pads may need replacing when worn - especially if you walk in them a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭crumliniano

I'm considering replacing mine after about 7 years because they stink from repeatedly getting soaked in Irish weather. Same reason I replaced their predecessors. Never noticed any real physical wear in either. The first were Shimano, the current ones are Mavic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

There are plenty of ways to fix stinky shoes without sending them to landfill...

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭benneca1

Thargor wrote: »
    There are plenty of ways to fix stinky shoes without sending them to landfill...
    Elaborate pls i find once they get stinky they stay that way no matter how much cat litter chopped up odoureaters or newspaper i put in them

Quick trip to any pharmacy will see you right for under a 5er for something to take care of smelly shoes. I use scholl fresh step on my normal shoes/runners.

Cycling shoes I don't bother with as those live with the bike in the shed and I wear flip flops to and from it and who is going to be able to smell my shoes when I'm out on the bike? Not me and thats all I care about, careful downwind if you meet me :pac:

EDIT: Seriously though if you actually want to rid them of stink you are going to have to wash them, anything else is going to just mask the smell and what's going to happen with new shoes? Yup those will end up stinking aswell.

So maybe think about overshoes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I use newspaper to dry them then once dry, I shake in some Desenex powder and leave them for a day or two. I find this really helps.

In summer when shoes get damp from sweat, I leave them to dry in direct sunlight for a few hours which seems to work well.

What I find helps best is to have a few pairs of shoes and alternate them to give them a chance to deodorise and dry properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭C3PO

Maxx355 wrote: »
    I have a pair of Sidi cycling shoes since the early 90s and are as good as the day I got them.

Older Sidi shoes really are amazing - the pair I use for commuting are also of the same vintage and while beginning to show it are still going strong!

Advertisement