Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Financing the work

Options
  • 02-06-2021 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hopefully in the right place... but for say €60ks worth of extension and refurb/furniture etc, am i best to remortgage or take out a loan? What do most people do? Current mortgage is about 250k remaining over next 20 years.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

whats the current LTV on the house?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

House worth about 380k, thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

suggest you talk with your bank. This is the construction forum, the mods can move this query to the banking forum if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

250/380= 65%
    310/380 = 82%
    So bank will look at a % somewhere in between, maybe 75%, they wont add the full 60k spend on to the 380

The next question, for you, not for here, is what is your current mortgage repayment as % of your after tax income and what would it look like with 60K extra on board.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭phormium

Depends on your loan to value and the work being done.

If you have a low LTV at the moment and the extra doesn't push you over the 80% which is probably the figure the bank will be using then you may be able to do a simple top up on the mortgage which is a separate loan to original but runs for same term. Usually involves no legal fees bar maybe an up to date valuation.

If it total loan is too high LTV for a top up then you're looking at a full remortgage with valuation, legal fees etc, will probably be limited to stage payments and will need to provide certs of compliance so need professional supervision (which you should get regardless of loan or not).

A straightforward term loan is going to be the most expensive option rate wise but quicker simpler payout.

• Advertisement
Advertisement