Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chipper in Waterford that Delivers

• 16-03-2021 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

From word of mouth Johnny Walkers and The Marian but neither deliver or are on just eat so that rules them out. So which of the ones that do deliver is the best

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 greysgut

I’m a big fan of Andys in the Glen and Brennan’s Cork Road

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    From word of mouth Johnny Walkers and The Marian but neither deliver or are on just eat so that rules them out. So which of the ones that do deliver is the best

I always found Johnny Walkers to be very overrated. I dont get chipper takeaways that often, but my son had food from the place in the Glen recently and the chips were gorgeous and he said the burger was also. I always liked Dannys but I dont thing the original owners have that anymore, someone told me that they have the Italian restaurant down on park road now Alvito

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

The Golden Fry delivers and the chips are divine, plus plenty of choice in the menu.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

The Golden Fry delivers and the chips are divine, plus plenty of choice in the menu.

I’ve heard from a friend who’s also a contributor to McKenna Guide that their pizzas are by far the best pizzas from a takeaway in Waterford also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I’ve heard from a friend who’s also a contributor to McKenna Guide that their pizzas are by far the best pizzas from a takeaway in Waterford also

Ah good tip! I never had a pizza there, only chips and chicken. But ill try the pizza next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I always found Johnny Walkers to be very overrated. I dont get chipper takeaways that often, but my son had food from the place in the Glen recently and the chips were gorgeous and he said the burger was also. I always liked Dannys but I dont thing the original owners have that anymore, someone told me that they have the Italian restaurant down on park road now Alvito

Always found that they are very stingy with their portions sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dooley's deliver afaik but for some reason dont find the one by the park as nice as Tramore. Prob lack of sea air brining on the hunger but TBF they give you a **** load of chips

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

It's interesting to hear that. It seems its reputation in recent years has much improved, I remember back in the 80's early 90's it was nicknamed "The Golden Fly".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I've had a pizza from the Golden Fry, and yes as far as chippers go, it's the best pizza I've had in Waterford. They appear to have a proper wood fired oven at the side of the shop and the thing that really stood out for me was the dough, it seemed super-fresh and chewy tasting.

I've been working my way around all the pizza place in Waterford during the last year of lockdown :pac: and the one it reminded me of closest, so far, has been Ginos.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Bhoy1967

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I've had a pizza from the Golden Fry, and yes as far as chippers go, it's the best pizza I've had in Waterford. They appear to have a proper wood fired oven at the side of the shop and the thing that really stood out for me was the dough, it seemed super-fresh and chewy tasting.

I've been working my way around all the pizza place in Waterford during the last year of lockdown :pac: and the one it reminded me of closest, so far, has been Ginos.

Strange that - I had a pizza from the Golden Fry recently and found the base soggy - didn't go back since - I had a takeaway from Dooley's by the park at the weekend and it was lovely. I love Supermacs too and Eddie Rocketts is good too. Johnny Walkers was closed Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Bhoy1967 wrote: »
    Strange that - I had a pizza from the Golden Fry recently and found the base soggy - didn't go back since - I had a takeaway from Dooley's by the park at the weekend and it was lovely. I love Supermacs too and Eddie Rocketts is good too. Johnny Walkers was closed Saturday.

Got food from Chip Box recently, was pretty good.

On the minus side, always liked dooleys, but got a delivery from there recently and it was awful.

But a word of caution, be careful of the reviews you see on the apps, I said I'd try Pizzaland on Ballybricken a couple of weeks ago, and going by the reviews I was expecting something spectacular, placed the order and waited, and waited, over an hour and a half later I rang and they said they didn't have my order, even tho I had the receipt and the money was taken, I drove up and showed them the receipt and confirmation, they said they were having issues with the internet, fair enough, so I waited for the order in the shop, and I have to say the place was manky, lads serving also didn't look the most hygienic, there was some kind of liquid dripping out of one of the ingredients of the mixed kebab, I took it anyway and went home and tried to eat it, threw it in the bin and spent most of the night up with the trots, so just be careful of the reviews you see on the like of Just Eat or Uber etc

Best Kebab I've had in a long time was from Stan's Tasty Bites in Kilcohan, the bread was unreal

I ordered something from Rack & Soul recently. They completely gave me the wrong order, delivery driver didn't care, showed them my order on my phone and all and they said well your address is down for this order anyway and they just left it at my door. Got my money back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

Discovered this little gem about 6 mth ago Pizza Dome on the quay pizza"s and kebab"s very nice

Discovered this little gem about 6 mth ago Pizza Dome on the quay pizza"s and kebab"s very nice

I've enjoyed their pizzas, not expensive a lot better than some of the ones I've had out of restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Got food (Burger) the Phat Cow in Gradys yard today and it was very nice. They do deals on Wednesday and Thursdays Burger and Fries or Chicken wings and Fries for a €10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Stans Tasty Bites have THE best taco fries in town definitely. Delicious mince mix with mushrooms and peppers inside etc, their pizzas and battered sausages are unreal too

I’d say Walsh’a is probably the worst, although the cheapest ( no wonder) always used to order there when I was hungover and broke and their battered sausages were like they’d been sitting around for days with the batter curling up and all hard

For pizza though I always get Pizza Dome or Doninos. Believe it or not pizza dome is actually just as good as dominos , €10 for a large pizza and a garlic dip!

Don't order from Rack&Soul. They sent me the wrong food before and delivery driver wouldn't take it back. Sister ordered from there recently and they they didn't include her ice cream she had paid for, this has happened already. They have no phone number to ring incase you have problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I was considering ordering from Pizza Dome as there's been a lot of people saying good stuff about them, both on here and my friends in real life.

Just looking at their menu though and most of the pizzas have this thing called "TurkeyHam" listed on them. I googled it and it's a Turkey based Ham substitute. I imagine it's used because maybe the people working there might be Muslim, which is fair enough. Not sure how I feel about TurkeyHam though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,385 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I was considering ordering from Pizza Dome as there's been a lot of people saying good stuff about them, both on here and my friends in real life.

Just looking at their menu though and most of the pizzas have this thing called "TurkeyHam" listed on them. I googled it and it's a Turkey based Ham substitute. I imagine it's used because maybe the people working there might be Muslim, which is fair enough. Not sure how I feel about TurkeyHam though :/

yeah, I remember watching something on BBC about that in pizza places in England. The difference there was that the businesses were not informing the customers about the substitute and just calling it ham which is a big no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭giles lynchwood

If it taste's nice and your not runny at both end's,can't be all that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

Anyone know what happened Tasty Grill on Parnell Street, (across form St Johns Church), closed almost as soon as it opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Chipbox is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Chipbox is excellent

+1 on chipbox. Although the storefront is not very prominent, you could easily miss it.

Also, the Golden Fry is excellent!

Advertisement