Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some site news...we're moving! [Update in Post #138 4/6/21]

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

sioda wrote: »
    Will we lose m.boards.ie in this move?
    The honest answer is I don't know. M.boards.ie hasn't been supported in quite some time so it's not something we've looked at or tested. It may surprise us all and continue to work but if it doesn't, I'm afraid that is that.
    will the "followed forums" follow over
    Yes they will.

Alun wrote: »
    That's what you said about the previous attempt at a new look. It didn't end well.

That was five years ago, Alun, half a decade.

554740.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Will there be an option for users who aren’t “keen” on a Reddit style interface to use the “classic” version?

As for the PMs, when you say someone can be added to the “chat”, and they’ll be able to read the whole thing, will this require the approval of both users involved in the initial “exchange”?

I, myself, use the PM function quite frequently and would not be impressed a third party being invited in to view, what may well be, a somewhat “sensitive” dialogue.

Considering this is a time for change, would it be possible to look into making the “Current Affairs” forum more attractive to, the more, “problem” user.

This could be achieved through easing up on the moderation of the CA forum, itself, which currently seems to take up a lot of mod hours, and tightening the moderation in the normal forums, particularly “After Hours”.

When threads more suited to CA are left to fester in AH it really brings down the “tone” of the entire forum. Users with a more spiteful, angry and fearful outlook flock to these staging posts and see it as a way to move out, infecting the other threads as they see fit.

Transplanting these threads, and users, back to a freer CA, and containing them there, would mean a lot less work for the mods, giving them more “capacity” to focus on running the site.

That’s not a criticism on how they are “functioning” now but it just seems that they are beyond flat out at this stage and I would be concerned for anyone in a position like that.

Fingers crossed the switch works out. While I’d be a little hesitant I am open to giving it the old “college try” but it would be nice to know if there’ll be a way to use the old version, if possible.

Best of luck and thank you for your time.

The tide is turning…

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Niamh, I love some of the new features :) thanks for the work you all put into it... Is it ok to ask for a bit of clarification, please?

Will this be the same format as the old "Social Groups" which Boards supported awhile ago?
    Did not Social Groups (on the original vBulletin) “clutter the server and cause much grief” as admins cited, for their removal (or was that on the new server)?
    The old groups were (like you mention) listed in a different section, and no new posts were visible on the homepage (this separateness was a nice feature.)

Thanks for continuing to investigate ways to possibly convert them back into standard forums, because as I recall, the old Social Group setup was much more limited than regular forums, the format was very simplistic (like google or yahoo groups of old) with no option to search, subscribe, no post numbers, etc… Such restrictions were not accommodating to the largeness (or effectiveness) of some groups... (and because of it, there was an uprising when a larger social group was not given forum status, c 2011 - such an event surely won't re-occur, am just citing an example of groups format limitations.)

Back then, Social Group Mods weren’t actual mods, but simply the groups originator - considered after to be more of a host than recognized mod. Which begs to ask - does this mean anyone can set-up a social group, as they did in the past? Or, after you (hopefully) find a way to convert current private forum-groups back into forums, will creating social groups be an option, once again?
    Yes they are a bit similar to the old social groups in some ways but will look and feel the same as a forum. They are the only tool available to us on the new platform to replicate the permissions we want for forums with special permissions. Our main priority is to keep private content private and these groups allow us to do that. Once migrated we plan to work on ways to make the same forums as integrated and part of the site as they are now.

Users will not be able to set up groups, no.

So, chats aren't quite as private as PM's are now? Can anyone be added to the chats, or just admins?

As it stands (due to previous spam attacks), regular users are limited to PMing only one member at a time - will this change? If so, it could prove helpful to some 'Forum Game' game threads, as PM/chatting with more than one person at a time would be helpful.
    Chats are just as private as PMs are now, there is nothing stopping any user right now from forwarding or BCCing another user on a private message. Any user can be added to a chat.

I'll have to check if there is a limit on how many people a user can contact via PM at one time, thanks for mentioning it. *adds to list*

Will profile pages be different?
    I assume Visitor Messages are a thing of the past.
    Will friending :( be over as well? (I find our friends list a welcoming draw; and quite helpful when hosting a game, especially when ‘search’ is down.)

I do love the warm community feel and interaction of Boards, am looking forward to this continuing.
    ....As long as we aren't taking the road to reddit land, it's all good :D :pac: Thanks Niamh!

Profile pages will look different at least at the start, but there will be no more visitor messages and no more adding friends to your profile unfortunately.

Thanks for the feedback Deja Boo :)

I think anything but 'thanks' reaction is a big change and at the moment I don't immediately like the idea. Has a lot of thought gone into that change and could you share some of the reasoning / if its been considered what sort of change it would make to the style of posting?

Will there be a page of the most thanked posts per day? And will the amount of thanks and other reactions be counted? Could make people post differently if they don't want to get lots of dislike reactions..

Same too some of the magic is gone if I'm seeing posts with dislikes before I even read the content. It'll be like reddit where both sides of the argument down vote eachother

As I said in the initial post, at the start only Thanks will be enabled.

We do have the option to add other reactions at a later stage if we want. I think you are right in that negative reactions don't add too much to the conversation and that the more positive ones might be more beneficial. "Thanks" isn't always the right response when someone posts, for example, that a loved one has passed away or something else awful has happened so it'll be nice to add a small variety of options.

The homepage will look the same as it does now with a tab for the most thanked posts.

I hope that answers your questions, thanks frozenfrozen :)

• Advertisement

I don't like the idea of an admin being added to a private chat, I'd prefer a screenshot of an offensive message if necessary. I understand the difficulty with that is that every one would need to know where to send the screenshot, but I'm sure there's a workaround.

Also not liking the idea of dislike, promote, and especially, lol options.

Other than that, best of luck with the transition. I hope it attracts new users and keeps all of us malcontents happy for a while. :)

Thanks Leg End Reject :)

As above, any user can be added to a chat at any time. Other participants in the chat can see who is on the chat when it is open so there is no secrecy about it. For this reason (see my reply to Zaph), we may try a centralised PM inbox for reported PMs until we can replicate the current system somewhat.
    Also see my reply to frozenfrozen re negative reactions. Thanks!

As I've asked a couple of times before, could you allow changing default order for search results? E.g. I usually want to see newest first so would like to be able to set that as my default view.

Would it be possible to get notifications for replies to individual posts? I.e. if someone hits the Quote button and makes a post from there, even if they trim some of the oroiginal test from the quote, I could choose to see (and then disable if needed) notifications. This could be useful in busy threads where I might not want to follow the whole thread due to the high frequency of posts.

Those are all good suggestions but are new features that I have added to a list for consideration after the migration is complete. Thanks nomdeboardie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

My custom dark themes won't work anymore. :(

My eyes thank you for your current custom theme :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As I said in the initial post, at the start only Thanks will be enabled.

We do have the option to add other reactions at a later stage if we want. I think you are right in that negative reactions don't add too much to the conversation and that the more positive ones might be more beneficial. "Thanks" isn't always the right response when someone posts, for example, that a loved one has passed away or something else awful has happened so it'll be nice to add a small variety of options.

The homepage will look the same as it does now with a tab for the most thanked posts.

I hope that answers your questions, thanks frozenfrozen :)

From my perspective anyway, I tend to view the thanks button more as an "agreed" button where I either agree with the content or perhaps even appreciate a well written/thought out response to the topic.

I would agree that less is more here though.. I would hate to see Boards turn into a variant of Reddit or where the increasing number of polarised discussions (not just here but generally) are skewed by one "side" or another upvoting/downvoting content.

I would also hope that Boards doesn't move away from the classic structure of a linear thread because it can be hard enough to keep track at times in a busy thread with people responding to and quoting others in the middle of the main flow without making the problem worse with a Reddit style structure.

Above all though, Boards needs to consider it's audience and appeal. I know there's probably a big drive and enthusiasm to refresh and modernise things with this platform change, but there are very good reasons why people still come here and contribute vs Reddit, Facebook, twitter etc.

I hope that doesn't get lost over the next few months.

Are you saying every thread and forum will look like the Talk to Forums with this change?

I really hope not, thats a washed out mess of a format compared to the rest of the site :(

good contrast, strong colours, more compact and more data avatar box
    washed out colours, poor contrast, poor visibility quote box thanks condensed and not individually visible, narrower (though maybe just due to the verified rep box[IMG][/img]

Yes they will all look like the Talk To forums at least to begin with. We had to build a theme and this was the easiest one to work with, otherwise we would have had to either go with the standard theming available or build one based on vBulletin which we are trying to get away from. It doesn't mean that theming can't be adjusted later to fill more space etc. but for now, yes they will all be the same layout and format as the TTFs.

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Top questions for me too. I use the black/orange theme on Desktop and touch.boards.ie on mobile/tablet and as someone said above, the last crack at a "Responsive" site did not work out well.

Ditto also the "followed forums" question. Like I'm sure most users I rely on this heavily since the "temporary" menu was instated that buried everything. Will this finally be addressed as part of the move, or is it a lift and shift more so?

As above, no dark mode immediately but it is now on the list of features to be added as soon as we can after migration.

Followed forums will be there alright and I think I mentioned in the OP that the menu will have to be redone once the move is complete. For some reason it would not be migrated with everything else so we haven't done anything with it yet. I'll be asking for a better layout than what we have at the moment but it may be easier to copy what we have and then rearrange it at a later date. We'll keep you posted on that. Thanks _Kaiser_

That's a pity. I'd say dark mode is an essential for many people. I know from my own perspective that it's a lot easier on the eyes since I had a cataract removed at the start of the year, but especially if you are sitting at a screen all day for work as well.

Thanks for letting me know that re the dark mode being easier on the eye after your cataract removal, it's a great reason to bump this one up the list if I can :)

[/LIST]

Will it be possible to thank your own post under the new regime. It's something I think should be in place. You can like your own posts on Facebook and Instagram. Same should apply here.

Sometimes I post something and just think - that is a fantastic post Pintman, give yourself a pat on the back there.

Yes at the moment a user can thank themselves but I'm not sure why you would want to :P

What is the platform?

Will there be a "Go to the first unread post" button in a thread?

It's Vanilla but themed and customised to look like Boards.

Yes the same 'Go to the first unread post' button will be on the new platform as we have now.

Thanks WestWicklow :)

Will there be an option for users who aren’t “keen” on a Reddit style interface to use the “classic” version?
    There is not going to be a Reddit style interface and there will be no option to revert to the old site if that's what you mean.
    As for the PMs, when you say someone can be added to the “chat”, and they’ll be able to read the whole thing, will this require the approval of both users involved in the initial “exchange”?

I, myself, use the PM function quite frequently and would not be impressed a third party being invited in to view, what may well be, a somewhat “sensitive” dialogue.
    No, no approval is required to add someone to a chat much the same as no approval is needed right now if someone wants to forward your chat to another user to read. In short, don't divulge anything too personal or sensitive unless you trust the recipient.
    Considering this is a time for change, would it be possible to look into making the “Current Affairs” forum more attractive to, the more, “problem” user.

This could be achieved through easing up on the moderation of the CA forum, itself, which currently seems to take up a lot of mod hours, and tightening the moderation in the normal forums, particularly “After Hours”.

When threads more suited to CA are left to fester in AH it really brings down the “tone” of the entire forum. Users with a more spiteful, angry and fearful outlook flock to these staging posts and see it as a way to move out, infecting the other threads as they see fit.

Transplanting these threads, and users, back to a freer CA, and containing them there, would mean a lot less work for the mods, giving them more “capacity” to focus on running the site.

That’s not a criticism on how they are “functioning” now but it just seems that they are beyond flat out at this stage and I would be concerned for anyone in a position like that.

Fingers crossed the switch works out. While I’d be a little hesitant I am open to giving it the old “college try” but it would be nice to know if there’ll be a way to use the old version, if possible.

Best of luck and thank you for your time.

This is not a feedback thread for moderation, it's purely for information about the new platform and how that will work.
    Thanks for your feedback "Emmet" :)

From my perspective anyway, I tend to view the thanks button more as an "agreed" button where I either agree with the content or perhaps even appreciate a well written/thought out response to the topic.

I would agree that less is more here though.. I would hate to see Boards turn into a variant of Reddit or where the increasing number of polarised discussions (not just here but generally) are skewed by one "side" or another upvoting/downvoting content.

I would also hope that Boards doesn't move away from the classic structure of a linear thread because it can be hard enough to keep track at times in a busy thread with people responding to and quoting others in the middle of the main flow without making the problem worse with a Reddit style structure.

Above all though, Boards needs to consider it's audience and appeal. I know there's probably a big drive and enthusiasm to refresh and modernise things with this platform change, but there are very good reasons why people still come here and contribute vs Reddit, Facebook, twitter etc.

I hope that doesn't get lost over the next few months.

Thanks Kaiser. While there is, as you said, a drive to refresh and modernise things, it is mainly about adding features that will enhance people's experiences as well as having a reliable platform that doesn't fall over when there is a huge rush of traffic as has sometimes happened. The linear structure is not under any threat. The good news about any new features is that they are easily rolled back if they turn out to be unsuitable or unused.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks for letting me know that re the dark mode being easier on the eye adfter your cataract removal, it's a great reason to bump this one up the list if I can :)

No problem :) Because the lens they inserted is a standard one setup for distance, I find that "very white" sites tend to overwhelm things a bit as my other eye struggles to compensate.

Similarly I've adjust Outlook themes etc to dark mode as well as the wall of small black on white emails does the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,539 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Hopefully the new platform will mean that the post count under a username is always visible across devices/interfaces, so that posters will no longer (unwittingly, at least) be engaging with...eh...problematic new posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Some good ideas, best of luck with it.

Just reading through some posts and I would share sentiments.

- please do not have thumbs down function, the thumbs up one (it does have advantages to be fair) is already used and abused enough to bully people out of threads. I know it’s very hard to mod so I don’t blame anybody on the mod team, but people subtly and not so subtly bully others and it’s accepted as fair game. A thumbs down function just makes it easier to “legitimately” bully people even more in an acceptable manner.

- in terms of skins I like the dark one. I have light sensitivity issues and find the dark mode much easier to use

- please don’t revert to the RTE website cluster f**k dramatic change where they squeeze as much sh*te as they can on one page, I prefer the basic setup (at least retain a legacy option like last change you did). Less is more guys.....

Boards is actually the only online forum community I use so don’t really have much of a benchmark to the other stuff. Just please don’t change too many things...

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Will there be any data loss? When the quake forum and 1.6 stuff was deleted it's a bit sad that even stuff up to 2009 and all the pictures from LAN events were nuked in the process to my knowledge

It would be great if even a text only version of boards as it stands today could be archived somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Will my old PMs, i.e. before the change over, be visible to anyone else going forward, under any circumstances? That's my main concern at the moment.

Or should I start deleting them, if I don't want them seen, to make sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

It's quite risky to do a "no going back" major site switchover. There's no way to know how the userbase will take it - the precedent of past sites that have done this (including this one), shows the userbase generally takes it badly - and if the userbase don't like it, the site will shed a lot of people.

If the switchover isn't seamless - i.e. the users can't even tell it happened and that the platform is different - then it carries the above risk.

Thought Boards would have learned this from the last time. Or from the dozens of other major websites that sprinted into a wall in this fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

KyussB wrote: »
    It's quite risky to do a "no going back" major site switchover. There's no way to know how the userbase will take it - the precedent of past sites that have done this (including this one), shows the userbase generally takes it badly - and if the userbase don't like it, the site will shed a lot of people.

If the switchover isn't seamless - i.e. the users can't even tell it happened and that the platform is different - then it carries the above risk.

Thought Boards would have learned this from the last time. Or from the dozens of other major websites that sprinted into a wall in this fashion.

This could well be different but I remember a few dedicated radio forum websites that did not last long, and I think one of the reasons was that at least some of them were overrun by spams.

Can you please revisit the so called swear filter, it is obviously American and therefore blocks quite a few words that are in face not swear words at all.

for example
    5000187139529_0.jpg

There are many other examples where a certain town scunthorpe for example gets blocked as well, the filter needs to have some intelligence to recognise context.not dumb letter patterns.

edit I see Scunthorpe is now allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Gotta agree with not changing the reactions, negative reactions are only used to bully/be ****heads in my experience.

Heresy online (a warhanmer website) had a "reputation" system where you could gift and remove reputation points from each other based on a users post, the more you had the more you could add/subtract from others. Some arsehole destroyed all my Internet points one day and that was enough for me not to bother with the site anymore.

They're still going, but that website was dying off for a good while before they removed the rep system entirely.

Will my old PMs, i.e. before the change over, be visible to anyone else going forward, under any circumstances? That's my main concern at the moment.

Or should I start deleting them, if I don't want them seen, to make sure?

Your old PMs will carry over to the new platform but will not be visible or accessible by anyone other than you and the other recipient(s). You can of course start to delete any PMs that you no longer want to keep.

KyussB wrote: »

Doing nothing is also very risky. Users are rightly put off when the site becomes unreliable, when their good feature suggestions can't be implemented because of how difficult it would be to do something simple on vBulletin and by a lack of more modern features that they see elsewhere.

dolanbaker wrote: »
    Can you please revisit the so called swear filter, it is obviously American and therefore blocks quite a few words that are in face not swear words at all.

for example
    There are many other examples where a certain town scunthorpe for example gets blocked as well, the filter needs to have some intelligence to recognise context.not dumb letter patterns.  edit I see Scunthorpe is now allowed
    The swear filter remains the same as it is now but it's a discussion we can have at a later stage. Unfortunately we just don't have the bandwidth to look at it before the migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,477 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If I click a thread it will still take me where I left off right

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    If I click a thread it will still take me where I left off right

Yes it will still act as threads and clicks act now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement