Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New clubs for beginner (kind of)

• 20-05-2021 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭

Ive had a couple of lessons and joined a club after not playing for almost 20 years. Was never too serious about it anyway and usually only played for the craic with mates but anyway would like to give it a right shot now. Need a set of clubs, bag, trolley etc, what kind of money we looking at and any suggestions for good online bargains etc? Im in Mayo, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Ive had a couple of lessons and joined a club after not playing for almost 20 years. Was never too serious about it anyway and usually only played for the craic with mates but anyway would like to give it a right shot now. Need a set of clubs, bag, trolley etc, what kind of money we looking at and any suggestions for good online bargains etc? Im in Mayo, thanks
    Good luck with taking things up. I'd say Adverts is a decent spot to look for bargains in terms of equipment. Theres a user on there, The Golf Studio, who seems to have a lot of quality stuff. Based in Celbridge, but as far as I know is willing to ship anywhere in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

+1 for Coillte_Bhoy’s query.

I’m a complete beginner, took a few lessons last year (6 I think) and still never got round to buying my first set of clubs with covid.

I was looking up this golf shop in Lisburn Co.Antrim https://www.andrewmorrisgolf.com/
    Package sets for men start at £350 sterling, is this steep? That includes everything, full set of clubs and a bag too. Wilson or Ben Sayers I think

I was told by a few friends that to start off, you can get going with just a set of irons and a putter, maybe a driver?

To put it into context, I had to google what an actual full set of golf clubs contains, so that tells you where I’m at, haven’t a clue what each of the clubs are even for.

The company I work for have a few golf days coming up now in July and august and I hate being the “sure I’ll meet ye after for the pints” man constantly as I don’t own a set, or too embarrassed to go :D:D

Would look at buying online also, maybe sports direct?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

The package sets are great if you are going to play a few times a year. They have everything you need to get going and will be a one time purchase that can last a lifetime.

In saying that they are a bit like BMW vs Dacia. Both will do the job they are meant to but the quality just isnt the same on the cheaper clubs and the resale value aligns pretty much the same aswell.

If you think you could afford to upgrade in the future a package set is a no brainer as it will get you on the course straight away.
    You will still need to buy balls,shoes,tee's,pitch mark repairer and any clothes you might want also. Depending on the bag type ( carry/stand bag vs cart bag) you will need ot rent or buy a trolley also.

Thanks Dan,

Is a package set decent value at that £350? Looking at the one in celbridge mentioned also.

What’s your thoughts on just going with a set of irons , a putter and a driver to get going ? That’s what I was told by a few work colleagues is all I’d need. Again I don’t know so..

Had a quick look on Facebook marketplace locally, a Wilson set of irons, decent driver and putter are coming in at £170-200 so I’m not sure if the £150 extra is worth it for all the other supplementary clubs?

Thanks Dan,

Is a package set decent value at that £350? Looking at the one in celbridge mentioned also.

What’s your thoughts on just going with a set of irons , a putter and a driver to get going ? That’s what I was told by a few work colleagues is all I’d need. Again I don’t know so..

Had a quick look on Facebook marketplace locally, a Wilson set of irons, decent driver and putter are coming in at £170-200 so I’m not sure if the £150 extra is worth it for all the other supplementary clubs?

I'm guessing this is the set you were looking at, it's here for €350 https://www.halpennygolf.com/en/Ben-Sayers-M8-Golf-Package-Set-GraphiteSteel-Shaft-Cart-Bag-Blue/m-32543.aspx

Yeah thats enough to get around a golf course. You can always pick up a hybrid,woods and wedges later.

At 170-200 they would be entry level gear aswell, as is most of Wilsons stuff, the 150 would be the two clubs and a bag being brand new which is fair, it would be hard to find those 3 second hand for the same.

It's worth ringing The Golf Studio and asking what he has, he may have something or make up a set to suit a budget. Same goes for the local golf shops/pro shops, they usually have a second hand section even if it is small.

Worth remembering unless your gifted hitting the ball properly in the beginning will be hard with any club,expensive or cheap.

• Advertisement

Great stuff, thanks for the help

Asked a few about the Ben sayers beginner set and they tried to push me the way of something longer lasting / higher quality like callaway etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Great stuff, thanks for the help

Asked a few about the Ben sayers beginner set and they tried to push me the way of something longer lasting / higher quality like callaway etc
    New sets of irons are eye-wateringly expensive. You won't get much change out of a grand these days. But have a look around the second hand market - adverts, done deal and even eBay UK. I know you'll be hit for VAT when you import from the UK, but if you keep that in mind, you'll still find plenty of bargains. You'll need to use Address Pal or similar because most UK sellers won't ship to Ireland. There's also Callaway pre-owned (OK ish for choice) and Golf Bidder. Plenty of threads on here about both of them and how they work.

Had a look on Callaway there, haven't a clue what I'm looking at :D Seems you can't buy sets on its preowned site.

Golfbidder is very good though. Full wilson set for £279 https://www.golfbidder.co.uk/accessories/30551/wilson-reflex-mens-package-set.html

Facebook marketplace and donedeal I've searched the last couple of days, for my budget there isn't much about. and anything that's there looks well weathered to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭larrya

Hi,
    Don't want to hijack the thread but do clubs matter that much for a beginner.
    Joined a club and started playing myself in the last few weeks with a set of clubs I bought 20 years ago which were not very expensive at the time(Spalding make).They haven't had much use in all that time maybe 40 rounds in total. Am I better off to just keep using these clubs and see how I go or upgrade now. Played my first full round in years and shot 96 so obviously loads of room for improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

larrya wrote: »
    Hi,
    Don't want to hijack the thread but do clubs matter that much for a beginner.
    Joined a club and started playing myself in the last few weeks with a set of clubs I bought 20 years ago which were not very expensive at the time(Spalding make).They haven't had much use in all that time maybe 40 rounds in total. Am I better off to just keep using these clubs and see how I go or upgrade now. Played my first full round in years and shot 96 so obviously loads of room for improvement.
    No. Stick with what you have for the moment. You're on a learning curve, so any decisions you make on buying clubs will probably be wrong. The advice here is for someone who has no clubs, so a decent second hand set is basically putting them on the same footing as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭newportlad

Hi all, I am same as the OP, looking to get back into golf but would like to buy a brand new beginner set

I was looking at these sets, both Wilson’s and same price €360 with discount code I have. Just wondering if anyone has tips on which might be the better to buy?

https://www.halpennygolf.com/Mobile/en/Wilson-X31-Package-Set-Right-Hand/m-m-30118.aspx

https://www.mcguirksgolf.com/p/wilson-gents-tour-rx-11-pc-package-set--gents-right-hand/wgg157606001

The Halpenny Golf one.

Comes with a sand wedge which the other doesn't and better pitching wedge for a beginner in my opinion.

Only problem is the one you linked is +1" longer and out of stock

https://gleesonsport.ie/shop/golf/wilson-x31-2019-golf-kit-mens-right-hand/

Same set and free delivery unless I miss read it

Advertisement