Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Secondary battery failures on Kia eNero

Options
  • 31-05-2021 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

I'm the proud owner of a Kia eNero but it's giving me teething trouble. Specifically, twice in the last 5 or 6 weeks the "starter" battery has failed and I've needed to call the AA to help me out.

Has anybody any experience with this issue? Yesterday I drove it for a few hours & then charged it for an hour or so. When I disconnected it last night the battery showed 65%. This morning, however, it was as dead as a door-nail until it was woken up by the mechanic. Apparently the secondary battery showed 12v rather than 14v?

I was told that this may be a common issue (Hyundai was mentioned too) and that a solution pending a brand wide Recall/Update might be to get a battery pack to jump start it in Halfords.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Commissar wrote: »
    I'm the proud owner of a Kia eNero but it's giving me teething trouble. Specifically, twice in the last 5 or 6 weeks the "starter" battery has failed and I've needed to call the AA to help me out.

Has anybody any experience with this issue? Yesterday I drove it for a few hours & then charged it for an hour or so. When I disconnected it last night the battery showed 65%. This morning, however, it was as dead as a door-nail until it was woken up by the mechanic. Apparently the secondary battery showed 12v rather than 14v?

I was told that this may be a common issue (Hyundai was mentioned too) and that a solution pending a brand wide Recall/Update might be to get a battery pack to jump start it in Halfords.

Is it just a bad 12v battery. Could you get it replaced under warranty?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

The percent is the main large battery 64kWh which generally does not give issues.

The small battery is 12 volt to 14 volt. This battery has 2 years manufacturer warranty. It can be replaced by your dealer for free. However first they will want to confirm it is indeed the battery itself and not something draining it such as a glovebox light left on or the radio not going to sleep.

As these cars are sent by sea from south Korea, it might be the 12 volt battery, has a hard time at the start of its life and can go faulty within months.

Another known issue is to make sure car doors are locked and car is asleep . Use the timer in the car and not the charger. If you have the option to lock the charging cable do that as soon s it is plugged in.

If waiting for example outside shops for someone ensure "engine" is fully on, as if you sit listening to the radio with the "engine" off the 12 volt battery can drain quickly and then when you go to drive away the car won't start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Known issue with the 12v I'd say. As Zg3409 said don't turn off the car if sitting in it. The 12v batteries are notoriously problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Commissar

Thanks for the feedback.
    It's a bit disappointing to find issues with the electric, though I guess it was naive of me to expect my cool new gadget to solve all my problems - maybe I was spoiled by the sheer resilience of my diesel Polo (although, ironically, he battery on that car gave out recently too).

I'll bring it to the shop next week and ask them to test it - maybe changing the 12v (if that's what it is, maybe 14v) battery will solve all my problems.
    Failing that, has anybody any experience with the jump starter battery packs in Halfords? They've been recommended as a solution to my difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

If its after happening a few times the 12V might be goosed.

Once it goes low at all you really need to get the 12V on a trickle charger for 24-48hrs to get it back to decent charge level. Driving it around for a few hours simply wont be enough to charge it back up.

Have you got a 12V trickle charger you can connect it to until you can get it to the dealer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If this is happening a few times it could also be an issue with the DC to DC inverter (if the HV battery "tops up" the 12v. which I don't know is the case in the eNiro)
    In Teslas this is an early sign of contactor/HV battery failure

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Failing that, has anybody any experience with the jump starter battery packs in Halfords? They've been recommended as a solution to my difficulties.

I have the 6 in 1 from Halfords and have used it jumpstart my old A4 which was giving battery trouble. Sold it recently bit have used the compressor in the above on the new which got a puncture. Handy yoke I'm fairness but obvious your ultimate solution is to fix the battery issue

KCross wrote: »
    Have you got a 12V trickle charger you can connect it to until you can get it to the dealer?

No I don't - would rewiring a bit for the trickle charger be allowed or would it void my guarantees and support contracts?
    I came across James May discussing something that sounds very, very similar to this issue regarding his Tesla only a couple of days before my first incident ...

No I don't - would rewiring a bit for the trickle charger be allowed or would it void my guarantees and support contracts?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Putting your 12V battery on a trickle charger wont void any warranty.

KCross wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean.

Putting your 12V battery on a trickle charger wont void any warranty.

I was making some vague assumptions about how a "trickle charge" would be set up or installed - This is all voodoo to me. I must drop by Dec's place for a casual how do you do & how're the kids and, by the by, about car batteries ...

• Advertisement

I was making some vague assumptions about how a "trickle charge" would be set up or installed - This is all voodoo to me. I must drop by Dec's place for a casual how do you do & how're the kids and, by the by, about car batteries ...

ok, i assumed you knew what it was!

The trickle charge is a bit like plugging in your phone just that you have a 12V charger specifically for the job.

Here's an example and it has some pics of it connected to the car battery..
    https://www.halfords.ie/motoring/battery-maintenance/all-battery-maintenance/ring-6v%2F12v-smart-car-battery-charger-435774.html

Basically, the 12V charger connects to your standard 3 pin house socket and then you connect the two leads of the charger to the battery/car and leave it do its thing for 24-48 hours. That will get the 12V back to full capacity (assuming its not wrecked).

You are not rewiring the car or voiding your warranty by doing this as long as you use it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭daheff

I have the Phev Niro and also had a problem recently with the secondary battery. It was supposed to be giving 13v but was only producing 8v apparently. When it went it caused a number of other systems to stop (brakes for example) because they thought there wasn't battery power (or so the garage told me). The service guy let it slip that mine was the second car that week to have this problem.

I think there is an electrical issue whereby if you leave (say) auto lights left on when you turn off the car that it still drains a small amount from the battery.
    I had noticed a number of times that when I got into my car that it told me the battery had been used while the car was off.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Known software bug in all Hyundai / Kia EVs

Basically the system is supposed to monitor the 12V lead acid battery and top it up from the traction battery. Happy days. Unfortunately this system isn't programmed properly, leading to the 12V battery to go too low (12V is too low), which badly impacts on its life expectancy. Get the battery replaced under warranty.

unkel wrote: »
    Known software bug in all Hyundai / Kia EVs

Basically the system is supposed to monitor the 12V lead acid battery and top it up from the traction battery. Happy days. Unfortunately this system isn't programmed properly, leading to the 12V battery to go too low (12V is too low), which badly impacts on its life expectancy. Get the battery replaced under warranty.

Any links from official sources for this?
    Be great to be able to show the dealer it's a known issue.

daheff wrote: »
    I have the Phev Niro and also had a problem recently with the secondary battery. It was supposed to be giving 13v but was only producing 8v apparently. When it went it caused a number of other systems to stop (brakes for example) because they thought there wasn't battery power (or so the garage told me). The service guy let it slip that mine was the second car that week to have this problem.

I think there is an electrical issue whereby if you leave (say) auto lights left on when you turn off the car that it still drains a small amount from the battery.
    I had noticed a number of times that when I got into my car that it told me the battery had been used while the car was off.
    Be great to be able to show the dealer it's a known issue.

I would think your comment about the service guy above is all you need for that?! :)

I dont think you'll get an official admission that their software is at fault but clearly a 12V battery reporting 8V is a problem. As long as you didnt have anything connected and draining the battery its not your fault and Kia need to fix it.

Ideally new battery or in the meantime trickle charge it yourself for 24-48hrs.

This bit is normal. When the 12V goes low it is supposed to get auto topped up by the high-voltage battery and it gives you an info message to let you know it has done it.... something like "Auxiliary battery charged by high-voltage battery".

The problem is that it doesnt do it often enough or long enough.

I should point out that yet again my car has ended up in the garage.

This time it was due to 'hybrid system error'.

Driving along having done 100km+ and petrol engine does. EV had no acceleration (and I think used a lot of battery charge over a small distance).

Garage told me it's an O2 sensor problem (2nd time).

I'm not sure I believe this as why would this cause the engine to stop completely ? Last time it didn't..kept going just logged the issue.

At this point I'm now trying to find out how to reject the vehicle as faulty and unfit for purpose (anybody know how to do that??)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

I should point out that yet again my car has ended up in the garage.

This time it was due to 'hybrid system error'.

Driving along having done 100km+ and petrol engine does. EV had no acceleration (and I think used a lot of battery charge over a small distance).

Garage told me it's an O2 sensor problem (2nd time).

I'm not sure I believe this as why would this cause the engine to stop completely ? Last time it didn't..kept going just logged the issue.

At this point I'm now trying to find out how to reject the vehicle as faulty and unfit for purpose (anybody know how to do that??)

Maybe you should start your own thread. How long do you have car, is first fault exact same as other fault? It's generally very hard to return a new car and get a replacement new car for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Private Joker

I had the same issue, there was a bad cell in the aux battery had it replaced and no issue since.
    have you the aux battery saver activated? this transfers power from the main battery to the aux when the car is parked. the car will tell you if it was used when you turn on the ignition.

I had the same issue, there was a bad cell in the aux battery had it replaced and no issue since.
    have you the aux battery saver activated? this transfers power from the main battery to the aux when the car is parked. the car will tell you if it was used when you turn on the ignition.

Had a bad aux battery replaced also. A week after a service.
    zg3409 wrote: »
    Maybe you should start your own thread. How long do you have car, is first fault exact same as other fault? It's generally very hard to return a new car and get a replacement new car for free.

car is a 191 with 27km on the clock Not looking for a new car for free. My preference is they buy it back at market value. I'll wear the depreciation.

Won't be driving a kia again after this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 2tiredkjl

Our car is a 192 Soul EV. The 12v died at about 65k and 19 months. It was changed under warranty by the local Kia dealer, without any equivocation

• Advertisement
Advertisement