Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommendations for automatic with cruise control

Options
  • 31-05-2021 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

In the next few months I hope to buy an automatic saloon car with Cruise Control.
    I have about 12/13K available.

I only do 6/7 Km per annum.

Any recommendations ?
    Any makes/models I should avoid?

(My Ford Focus Ghia is a brilliant car, but is getting a bit old now!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d look at a Nissan Leaf or a Toyota Prius.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

The Leaf is all electric so that wouldn't suit.
    I'm not sure about Hybrid either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Do you want adaptive cruise control where the car attempts to keep a fixed distance from car in front using radar? Normal cruise control is handy but only on quiet roads with no slow cars ahead.

Some people don't like it or use it, but it's very handy on busy roads and reduces stress if you can put up with it's slight annoyance. I would not buy another car without it, it's the best new feature in decades.

You might struggle price wise as it's typically only on higher spec newer cars, but on cheaper brands it might be within budget.

Also what size car do you need? Any limitations such as low tax/high power/certain age?

zg3409 wrote: »
    Do you want adaptive cruise control where the car attempts to keep a fixed distance from car in front using radar?

Also what size car do you need? Any limitations such as low tax/high power/certain age?
    I'd be happy with standard cruise control as I go up and down the M1 to Dublin regularly.

Anything lower than the €530 I pay on my Focus Ghia would be great!

Engine size Size: 1.4 - 1.8

Max 6 years old

The Focus is still going fine so I might continue saving and make the purchase in Spring '22
    I'd have another 3/4K€ in the pot

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

The way car prices are atm I would be tempted to wait until next Spring with an extra few quid in your pocket.

That being said there's no real guarantee prices will drop but I can't see the current trend carrying on until next year.

• Advertisement

Thanks Brian & ZG ...

What's the 'current trend' you are referring to?

Also, I'm still hoping for some make/model recommendations/warnings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

eirman wrote: »
    Thanks Brian & ZG ...

What's the 'current trend' you are referring to?

Also, I'm still hoping for some make/model recommendations/warnings

Think they meant current trend of very high used car prices. It's definitely a thing.
    Whether it will last or not is another matter.

Thanks buddy.

Is this a Brexit phenomena?
    Maybe a glut PCP end of 3 yr contracts will bring more cars to the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

eirman wrote: »
    Thanks buddy.

Is this a Brexit phenomena?
    Maybe a glut PCP end of 3 yr contracts will bring more cars to the market.

Brexit playing its part alongside covid, suez Canal blockage, global materials supply chain problems, people holding onto cars because their new one isn't ready yet, price hikes in New models meaning people keep hold of cars longer....it's a tough time for trade although there's no hint of a recession. Strange times actually.

Advertisement