Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esb smart meter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

coylemj wrote: »
    Bord Gais now offering 'smart plans' for electricity if you have a smart meter......

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/residential-smart-meters

Like it but site says only if you have a smartmeter
    How to get a smartmeter ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Like it but site says only if you have a smartmeter
    How to get a smartmeter ???

You will get one automatically over the coming years.

If you want to be bumped up the list you ask your electricity provider to request it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 causewayer

I had a Smart Meter fitted in April and the ESB have made it active. However, my provider has advised that the ESB have notified them that after testing for a month, the CTF value is 01. Therefore, they can only offer me one 'smart' tariff (Day/Peak/Night) but it's not one of the best rates they offer.

CTF (Communications Technically Feasible) is a check that ESB Networks perform regularly on each meter installation to establish the reliability of communications from the smart meter to the head end system across the 2G telecommunications network.

01 (Comms proving failed)
    02 (Non Interval Service Standard)
    03 (Interval Service Standard)
    04 (Remote Re-Energisation Pre Payment standard of quality)

I can't understand this, as according to the ComReg 2G coverage map my location and general area are all 'Very good' (the best) coverage. I'm close to masts and the terrain is flat.

I wonder if there is an issue with the 2G device on the meter.

No response from ESB. I guess they are not interested in individual comms issues like this.

Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭chewed

I still don't understand the point of these smart meters. I'm with Airtricity and I keep having to submit my own reading to them. And I want to move to Energia as they have an EV Car deal, but found out that I'd need to have a day/night meter.

Am I wrong in thinking that a smart meter should have the same technology as a day/night meter?

chewed wrote: »
    Am I wrong in thinking that a smart meter should have the same technology as a day/night meter?

No, very different.

Day/Night meter has two counters built-in.... day and night (and total). You then decide if you want to pay a day/night tariff or a 24hr tariff. No other choices and it requires manual reading.

The smart meters record usage on a 15-30min interval and send that data back to Eirgrid automatically (no meter reader anymore) for processing. Its then up to your provider to decide how they want to aggregate that data and bill you.

• Advertisement

causewayer wrote: »
    I had a Smart Meter fitted in April and the ESB have made it active. However, my provider has advised that the ESB have notified them that after testing for a month, the CTF value is 01. Therefore, they can only offer me one 'smart' tariff (Day/Peak/Night) but it's not one of the best rates they offer.

Sounds like a bit of a fob off. Its surely up to Eirgrid to fix the issue.

If your provider is not sorting it out on your behalf I'd try discussing with the CRU and see if they can move things along.

Having said that, the current smart-meter tariffs do not appear to be competitive relative to standard day/night tariffs so you might be stuck with a plan that is not the cheapest simply because you have a smart-meter.

Who is your provider and what rate/plan are they "forcing" you into?

BGE:
    Day: 17.36c
    Night: 12.81c
    Peak 21.14c
    VAT inclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

causewayer wrote: »

I can't understand this, as according to the ComReg 2G coverage map my location and general area are all 'Very good' (the best) coverage. I'm close to masts and the terrain is flat.

Anyone any ideas?

It depends how close
    where i live i can see the water tower out of my window and its full of antennas for 2/3/4/5G and still no signal for the mobile phone
    Answer of my question to the providers was you could be to close to the mast so the signals are going to high over your property so you live in an empty space

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Are you receiving a signal outside your house? If you are it might be the insulation in your house that is preventing a good quality signal inside your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

KCross wrote: »
    No, very different.

Day/Night meter has two counters built-in.... day and night (and total). You then decide if you want to pay a day/night tariff or a 24hr tariff. No other choices and it requires manual reading.

The smart meters record usage on a 15-30min interval and send that data back to Eirgrid automatically (no meter reader anymore) for processing. Its then up to your provider to decide how they want to aggregate that data and bill you.

So where is ESB-N in this equation re smart meter installations.

However it's a serious issue if day night is no longer available and that we get fcuked over with exorbitant tariffs over which we have no control.

Bad day

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

I have good coverage for my normal 4G phone use inside and outside. When I switch my phone to 2G to test for the smart meter, I have a full signal outside and also inside the house including on the other side of the exterior wall as my smart meter. That's why it doesnt seem right that the ESB reports:
    CTF Value as 01 = Communications proving for the MPRN has failed = Only manual reading is possible for this meter = Indicative success rate 0 – 4 days per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

So where is ESB-N in this equation re smart meter installations.

However it's a serious issue if day night is no longer available and that we get fcuked over with exorbitant tariffs over which we have no control.

Bad day

The regulator has stipulated that there will be three charging periods, it's not down to ESB-N or your supplier......
    • Day = 08:00 to 23:00 (excluding ‘Peak’)
    • Night = 23:00 to 08:00 (single night rate)
    • Peak = 17:00-19:00

coylemj wrote: »
    The regulator has stipulated that there will be three charging periods, it's not down to ESB-N or your supplier......
    • Day = 08:00 to 23:00 (excluding ‘Peak’)
    • Night = 23:00 to 08:00 (single night rate)
    • Peak = 17:00-19:00

Thanks, my issue is with the comms failure as described above
    then who sets the rates if a comms failure?

ps is there a winter/summer shift as before?

chewed wrote: »
    I still don't understand the point of these smart meters. I'm with Airtricity and I keep having to submit my own reading to them.

You have to call Airtricity to activate the meter. Once you do that you don't have to submit readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭daheff

Basically they are adding a new PEAK time zone so they can charge more for that.

It's BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Friend got a letter saying they'll be getting a smart meter in the next few months and asked me to look over the new plans

Currently they pay 0.1753 (assume plus VAT so 20c) for the electric and looking at the new plans they are gonna be paying a lot more bar a few hours at the end of the day

Am I missing something here?

Just wondering what will happen when, inevitably, the mobile phone companies decide to switch off 2G services. They're not going to be around forever and I would doubt there are very many other users of 2G anymore.

We are missing the data we need to make any useful comment.

Why not share the new rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Totally done to obscure what your tariff.

Smart meters are being used by the power companies to make tariffs as confusing as health insurance plans.

Doesnt matter what youre usage is, you will end up paying more than the good day/night plans on a smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've just switched to Flogas, who have emailed with vague details of their new 'smart tariff'.

I'd be interested in seeing the raw data from my smart meter myself. Should I be able to get this from Electric Ireland or Flogas or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,008 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I did a bit of digging on how I could get access to my smart meter readings. I had to drill right down to the ESB Networks DPIA for Interval data to see what is actually happening. It says;

Customers who have chosen to subscribe to a Time-of-Use tariff through their Supplier will have their 30-minute Interval Data or SST Register data collected from the ESM and processed by ESBN

So if you haven't actually signed up to smart tariff, they aren't going to record your 30 minute usage - which effectively prevents you from working out whether a smart tariff would really benefit you or benefit the supplier.

A tad sneaky, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,405 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's extremely sneaky bordering on dishonest. It basically prevents anyone doing what would be a relatively easy calculation to determine what your bill would be for a variety of different scenarios to see if a switch to a smart tariff would result in higher bills, and if so, how much usage you'd have to move to mitigate any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Plus I believe you cannot move back off the smart meter.

You cant even have the old night day tariff even though the supposedly smart meter cant meter the hours in the same way as the old day night meter did.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

We had the smart meter installed. The year with Flogas is up. Im looking around for the best deal - looking like staying put. The offerings are not great. More expensive to run a smart meter!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

It's not.

I have smart meters in three properties. Two of them have night rate.

I can monitor usage and by making some changes, usage has dropped almost 15%.

Also means no more estimated bills.

You can also choose the standard plans.

What are the rates you are getting though, that’s the key thing?

standard day/night meters have rates at 16c/8c. What rates are you paying on the smart meters?

if they are similar, let us know who your provider is!

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭roarlad

Did you ever get sorted?

Having the same issue, chasing ESB-N to come out and fix or replace the meter as I'm in Suburban area which has very good 2G coverage..

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mjatkey

Guys, I understand where all of you are coming from this whole "smart meter" thing is a farce.

We recently bought an apartment which had been disconnected for over two years so this meant we had to re-apply and pay for the supply to be reconnected.

The meter that was currently in a locked cupboard in the hallway to the apartments had been changed last year to a digital one reading 0000 for both day and night rates (storage heaters in apartment) so I applied with one of the suppliers for their Urban 24 hour tariff with 40% discount as new customer.

Unfortunately when ESB networks came out to replace the fuse on the meter they replaced the meter for a smart meter.

The supplier originally said we couldn't get the 40% discount and best deal was 28% but the rates day and night were much higher than the Urban 24 tariff.

I complained and they have agreed to honour the 40% discount which is good although the rates are still more than the original quote.

But one question I am trying to get answers to is why are ESB or the suppliers not supplying the In house display units or even an App that can show you the real time energy usage?

Surely this is the whole point of a smart meter in that the consumer can actively monitor their consumption and make changes if possible.

ESB networks have not replied to my question Bordgais are saying to contact ESB networks and the CRU told me its nothing to do with them?

Has anyone else had any luck or interest in this area of Smart meters?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭beachhead

I have been under the impression that you had to apply to Electric Ireland to get the display unit or/and download the app when the smart meter goes "live".I have received an email to say my meter is "live".But can get no information as to what I am committing myself to(charge wise)or what miraculous savings I will make.I must click on a link to say I agree with the "live" t &cs but no advance info on what the t &cs are is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mjatkey

Hi beachhead, just ask them to supply copy of the T&C's or at very least supply a link to them. Thanks

Advertisement