Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Selection of new titles/re-adds in the last week or so

2 Guns (M.Wahlberg/D.Washington)
    Almost Famous
    Assault on Precinct 13 (A.Stoker)
    A Walk in the Woods
    The Angriest Man in Brooklyn (R.Williams/Kunis)
    Being A.P.
    Blended (Sandler/Barrymore)
    Cemetery Without Crosses (Original Title: Une corde, un Colt...)
    Chalet Girl
    Chappie
    Cop Car
    Daddy's Home
    Faster (The Rock/B.B.Thornton)
    The First King (Original Title: Il primo re)
    Free Birds
    Get Smart
    George Best: All by Himself
    Ghostbusters (B.Murray/D.Aykroyd)
    Ghostbusters (M.McCarthy/Wiig)
    Greenfingers (C.Owen/Mirren)
    Holmes & Watson
    Love, Weddings & Other Disasters (2020)
    The Mask
    Mercury Rising (Willis)
    Moon (Rockwell)
    Not Another Teen Movie
    Only the Brave (Teller/J(o).Brolin/Bridges/J.Connelly)
    Pan
    Pink: All I Know So Far (Amazon Original)(2021)
    Pitch Perfect 2
    Pokémon Detective Pikachu (2019)
    RocknRolla
    Scorched Earth
    Secret in Their Eyes
    Stop Making Sense (Talking Heads concert film)
    Takers
    Unleashed (Original Title: Danny the Dog)(Li/M(o).Freeman)
    We Die Young
    The Wolfman
    Zodiac

The Making of the Mob (Season 1: New York)
    Klondike (Miniseries)(R.Madden/Cornish/I.Hart)
    Solos (Amazon Original)(2021)

Expiring soon(That I'm aware of)

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - 31/5
    The Kings of Summer - 1/6
    Unforgiven - 1/6
    Argo - 2/6
    The Lincoln Lawyer - 3/6
    Source Code - 8/6

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

2 Guns (M.Wahlberg/D.Washington)
    Almost Famous
    Assault on Precinct 13 (A.Stoker)
    A Walk in the Woods
    The Angriest Man in Brooklyn (R.Williams/Kunis)
    Being A.P.
    Blended (Sandler/Barrymore)
    Cemetery Without Crosses (Original Title: Une corde, un Colt...)
    Chalet Girl
    Chappie
    Cop Car
    Daddy's Home
    Faster (The Rock/B.B.Thornton)
    The First King (Original Title: Il primo re)
    Free Birds
    Get Smart
    George Best: All by Himself
    Ghostbusters (B.Murray/D.Aykroyd)
    Ghostbusters (M.McCarthy/Wiig)
    Greenfingers (C.Owen/Mirren)
    Holmes & Watson
    Love, Weddings & Other Disasters (2020)
    The Mask
    Mercury Rising (Willis)
    Moon (Rockwell)
    Not Another Teen Movie
    Only the Brave (Teller/J(o).Brolin/Bridges/J.Connelly)
    Pan
    Pink: All I Know So Far (Amazon Original)(2021)
    Pitch Perfect 2
    Pokémon Detective Pikachu (2019)
    RocknRolla
    Scorched Earth
    Secret in Their Eyes
    Stop Making Sense (Talking Heads concert film)
    Takers
    Unleashed (Original Title: Danny the Dog)(Li/M(o).Freeman)
    We Die Young
    The Wolfman
    Zodiac

The Making of the Mob (Season 1: New York)
    Klondike (Miniseries)(R.Madden/Cornish/I.Hart)
    Solos (Amazon Original)(2021)

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - 31/5
    The Kings of Summer - 1/6
    Unforgiven - 1/6
    Argo - 2/6
    The Lincoln Lawyer - 3/6
    Source Code - 8/6

you forgot all the james bonds :)

Amazon has agreed to acquire MGM in an $8.45 billion (£5.98b) deal.

If approved by regulatory bodies, this will give Amazon and, specifically Amazon Prime Video, access to an enormous catalogue of past and future films.

As well as a library of over 4,000 movies, many of which modern classics, it includes the Bond franchise and the forthcoming addition, No Time to Die.

Other new movies scheduled to appear this year include The Addams Family 2, House of Gucci, and the currently untitled Paul Thomas Anderson project.

MGM is also the studio behind many Oscar winners, such as Silence of the Lambs, Raging Bull, Thelma & Louise, 12 Angry Men, and Poltergeist.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/amazon/157086-amazon-to-acquire-mgm-will-gain-rights-to-bond-films

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Klonker wrote: »
    But overall it was such a great show, I kind of feel bad about it now that it no longer gets the recognition it deserves.

It does and it doesn't get it's fair recognition. It doesn't from those who gave up or called it disappointing, and that tends to be the loudest voice and makes anyone who likes it look like an apologist, but it still has a huge fanbase. It changed the landscape of network television in the USA in it's own way. While Sopranos may have led the way for prestige television, Lost developed a huge fandom in the dawn of the internet, picking apart every episode week by week online, which added to the obsession with the show. For better or worse you could say since some people feel like there wasn't enough answers for all their time spent digging, but there are plenty within the show, outside the show and it makes for great theory videos.

It was the first podcast when Apple launched their podcast app, and it was a brilliant one at that, even though the creators weren't sure what scope podcasts would have. This alone was influential to many shows since.

Then add to the mix it was a show that stood it's ground and they asked for an end date, rather than be dragged into the ground, lost momentum, run out of road and eventually get cancelled. That's very much not the normal in TV. Shows like this were hour long (minus ads so 40ish mins) and 24 a season. Think 24, X-Files etc they all had huge seasons, and now the new normal can be having a network show like this run with less so they don't have to drag things out as much.

Many LOST podcasts have been popping up in recent times too which each seem to point out that it still has a large fandom who are interested in re-binging the show, or discovering it as new. I only learned recently that Michael Giachino and the RTE Orchestra performed a LOST concert in NCH in 2019. I'm raging I missed it. It was recorded for a vinyl release too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Just finished watching Lost and I'd recommend it to anyone to give it a go. I watched it week to week when it originally aired and haven't watched it since but I enjoyed it a lot more on my second watch, binge watching it over the previous few weeks. It's a lot easier remembering a scene from a previous season you watched 2 weeks ago rather than 2 years ago!

I feel like since it's finale Lost's reputation has taken a huge hit and I think it's unjustified. For me it's still up there as one of the best, smartest, groundbreaking shows of all time so if you've never seen it or haven't seen it since it original aired it's definitely worth the investment of your time.
    It does and it doesn't get it's fair recognition. It doesn't from those who gave up or called it disappointing, and that tends to be the loudest voice and makes anyone who likes it look like an apologist, but it still has a huge fanbase. It changed the landscape of network television in the USA in it's own way. While Sopranos may have led the way for prestige television, Lost developed a huge fandom in the dawn of the internet, picking apart every episode week by week online, which added to the obsession with the show. For better or worse you could say since some people feel like there wasn't enough answers for all their time spent digging, but there are plenty within the show, outside the show and it makes for great theory videos..

I tried watching the first couple of episodes not too long after it first aired and couldn't take to it. However, after watching the first 2 seasons of The Leftovers- Lindelof's fantastic creation- I binge-watched the lot before season 3 of The Leftovers started. I quite enjoyed it. I knew in advance the ending was naff, which it was, but the whole thing was enjoyable right the way through.

I know people who watched the first few seasons when it original aired and then gave up on it only to return for the final few episodes only to complain it didn't make sense!

The main negative I had about the show was
    when Locke died. I know the actor was still there but he wasn't the character Locke. He was one of the best characters (my favourite to that point and I think a lot of people's) and now our only way of seeing that character was in some flash forwards/back/sideways. I didnt think it was a bad plot or anything, I just think the show missed the character of Locke.

But overall it was such a great show, I kind of feel bad about it now that it no longer gets the recognition it deserves.

i think the flak it gets is justified as the last season was a mess and then the last episode was terrible . pity as it was a great idea and had a few good seasons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

peteeeed wrote: »
    i think the flak it gets is justified as the last season was a mess and then the last episode was terrible . pity as it was a great idea and had a few good seasons

100% on the money. Awful ending

Nalz wrote: »
    100% on the money. Awful ending

i remember talking to a friend who had watched it all at the time like me and we thought the season 6 scripts had got jumbled up together and they just went with it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Good documentary on Halston, works as a good companion piece if you have seen the show on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

deisedude wrote: »
    I never really got into it. Watched the first 2 seasons and I just wasnt enjoying it.

Having heard the hullabaloo at the end of the series justifies my decision :D

Not really - the first 4 seasons of game of thrones are some of the best tv ever produced. Then you have later episodes like battle of the bastards which again is one of the best tv episodes ever made.

But if you didn’t enjoy the first 2 seasons then it wasn’t for you, but your loss IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭deisedude

Not really - the first 4 seasons of game of thrones are some of the best tv ever produced. Then you have later episodes like battle of the bastards which again is one of the best tv episodes ever made.

But if you didn’t enjoy the first 2 seasons then it wasn’t for you, but your loss IMO.

Just didn't do it for me

I love the Sopranos, The Wire and Breaking Bad but plenty people don't like them either despite them being generally critically acclaimed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Apart from the fact that it's not on AMAZON do you really think you're going to alter their opinion? They didn't like it. You did. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I know people who love Game of Thrones, I looked at it a few times and just didnt care for it, watched a couple of episodes of the Leftovers and was bored,

deisedude wrote: »
    Just didn't do it for me

I love the Sopranos, The Wire and Breaking Bad but plenty people don't like them either despite them being generally critically acclaimed

Yeah I watched first 2 seasons of sopranos and just couldn’t get into it so I hear what you’re saying.

My point really was the fact that even though season 8 was a turd and the series ended badly, first 4 seasons are widely regarded as awesome tv.

Apart from the fact that it's not on AMAZON do you really think you're going to alter their opinion? They didn't like it. You did. Move on.

Obviously not but that wasn’t the point my post was making. Re read it.

Watched Detective Pikachu , Ryan Reynolds won't refuse a paycheck and I need to make more effort in my film choices

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Very decent doc called Kaiser added to amazon prime one for footie fans, interesting story!
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6823890/

Saint Maud has also been added....it is grim but rather terrific imo
    I think it was Mark Kermodes film of the year

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gmisk wrote: »
    Very decent doc called Kaiser added to amazon prime one for footie fans, interesting story!
    https://m.imdb.com/title/tt6823890/

That sounds interesting, before clicking your link I had assumed from the name it was going to be about Franz Beckenbauer!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That sounds interesting, before clicking your link I had assumed from the name it was going to be about Franz Beckenbauer!
    Ha not quite, it's a decent watch probably not a bad idea to go into it blind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Each to their own of course, but I did not enjoy it. I'm not anti-grimness by any means, but I just thought it dragged on a lot. Just filming her as she was going through her deluded fantasy world. I liked the idea at the very end. Which was a bit of a shock, and at least somewhat redeemed the movie, for me anyway.

• Advertisement

Each to their own of course, but I did not enjoy it. I'm not anti-grimness by any means, but I just thought it dragged on a lot. Just filming her as she was going through her deluded fantasy world. I liked the idea at the very end. Which was a bit of a shock, and at least somewhat redeemed the movie, for me anyway.
    I don't think I enjoyed it either tbh.
    But found it really effective and affecting.
    Not for everyone but worth a watch I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

loved it. what a film! some scenes gave me chills, and that doesn't happen often!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,825 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

New Amsterdam moving from Amazon Prime to Sky Witness for season 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm into my less than quality Vampire productions and Prime has them in abundance. I watched Corbin Nash and I Had Bloody Good Fun at House Barker tonight, and I enjoyed them.

The former stars Smalljon Umber from Game of Thrones and Corey Feldman as a cross dressing Vampire so I'll let ye decide if it's for you. :pac:

Abhijan (The Expedition)
    All the Money in the World (M.Williams/C.Plummer/M.Wahlberg)
    Amazing Love
    The Bachelors (J.K. Simmons)
    Bad Teacher
    Ballerina (Also known as 'Leap!')
    Bicycle Thieves (Original Title: Ladri di biciclette)
    Daisy - A Hen Into The Wild
    Drum
    England Is Mine
    For My Daughter's Honor (Also known as 'Indecent Seduction')(G.Cole)
    Hellboy Animated: Sword of Storms (2006) & Blood & Iron (2007)
    Justice League
    The Last Witch Hunter (V.Diesel/R.Leslie)
    Life with Father
    Memorial Day
    Metal Heart
    mother!
    The Night is Young
    Northmen - A Viking Saga
    Pride (Nighy/Staunton/D.West/Considine)
    Safelight
    Saint Maud
    Seven
    The Snail and the Whale
    Sir Alex Ferguson: Never Give In (Amazon Original)(2021)
    The Violators
    Wonder Man

Panic (Season 1)(Amazon Original)(2021)
    Sea Wolf (2 Part Miniseries)
    Six (Season 1-2)

Edge of Tomorrow - 9/6
    Flight - 9/6
    Murder by Numbers - 11/6
    Official Secrets - 14/6
    Sleepy Hollow - 14/6
    Bohemian Rhapsody - 15/6
    Life - 15/6

Justified (Season 1-6) - 9/6
    Unforgettable (Season 1-3) - 9/6

A Girl from Mogadishu
    Black Butterfly (Banderas)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Depp/Highmore)
    The Danish Girl (Redmayne/Vikander)
    Dangerous Moves (Original Title: La Diagonale Du Fou)
    Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story
    The Edge of Seventeen
    The Endless Summer
    The Departed (DiCaprio/Nicholson/Damon)
    The Face of Love
    First Response
    The Frontrunner (Jackman/V.Farmiga/J.K.Simmons)
    The Gruffalo
    The Gruffalo's Child
    Hairspray
    Hangman (Pacino)
    The Interpreter (Kidman/S.Penn)
    Iron Men (Sports Documentary - West Ham United)
    Jailbreak (Original Title: Pacto de Fuga)(2020)
    Jonathan
    Kept Woman
    Kittie: Live at the London Music Hall
    The Last Lullaby
    Legally Blonde
    Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde
    The Legend of Tarzan (A.Skarsgard/M.Robbie/S.L.Jackson)
    The Little Rascals
    Love in Paradise
    Love on the Air
    Love Ranch (Mirren/Pesci)
    Most Beautiful Island
    Mystery Men
    The Outpost (S.Eastwood/C.L.Jones)(2019)
    Pawn Sacrifice (T.Maguire/L.Rabe)
    Riddick
    Ronin (De Niro/Reno)
    Room on the Broom
    Sassy Pants
    The Six Wives of Henry Lefay
    True Appaloosa
    Two Step
    Wild Card
    Wilde (S.Fry/J.Law)

The Armstrong and Miller Show (Season 1-3)
    The Family Man (Season 2)(Amazon Original)(2021)
    Head Above Water (Sports Documentary - Australia Olympic Swimming)(Amazon Original)(2021)
    Justified (Season 1-6)
    Revolting Rhymes (Part 1&2)
    Unforgettable (Season 1-3)
    When Eagles Dare: Crystal Palace F.C. (Amazon Exclusive)

Romeo + Juliet - 16/6
    The Terminator - 17/6
    Aquaman - 19/6
    Pearl Harbor - 19/6
    We Own the Night - 21/6
    The Rite - 24/6

Panic, 10 episode teen drama,though all the teens are played by actors closer to 30 nothing special but it does have Jack Nicholson's son Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Fair Game 2010.
    CIA operative Valerie Plame discovers her identity is allegedly leaked by the government as payback for an op-ed article her husband wrote criticizing the Bush administration.

Senator (Chappaquidick) 2017
    Depicting Ted Kennedy's involvement in the fatal 1969 car accident that claims the life of a young campaign strategist, Mary Jo Kopechne.

Gold 2016.
    Kenny Wells, a prospector desperate for a lucky break, teams up with a similarly eager geologist and sets off on a journey to find gold in the uncharted jungle of Indonesia.

Founder 2016.
    The story of Ray Kroc, a salesman who turned two brothers' innovative fast food eatery, McDonald's, into the biggest restaurant business in the world, with a combination of ambition, persistence, and ruthlessness.

I watched those four recently and I'd highly recommend them and would easily give a solid 7/10.

www.imdb.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Panic, 10 episode teen drama,though all the teens are played by actors closer to 30 nothing special but it does have Jack Nicholson's son Ray

I knew he seemed familiar.

Most teenagers are played by 30 year olds but in the case of Panic some of them really look old.

The lead and her two friends do at least look and beg have under 20.

The first episode was good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

The Founder 2016.
    The story of Ray Kroc, a salesman who turned two brothers' innovative fast food eatery, McDonald's, into the biggest restaurant business in the world, with a combination of ambition, persistence, and ruthlessness.

really enjoyed this one, Michael Keaton is great in it.

Advertisement