Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity prices

• 29-05-2021 1:48pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering where people are getting the best deals. We are with airtricity and the standing charges alone are €300 a year. 23.4 cent day rate and 11.6 night rate. Anyone using flogas, 18.8 and 9.1 night rate is the cheapest we've found online, anything better out there? Maybe the dairy lads are getting better quotes?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

blue5000 wrote: »
    Just wondering where people are getting the best deals. We are with airtricity and the standing charges alone are €300 a year. 23.4 cent day rate and 11.6 night rate. Anyone using flogas, 18.8 and 9.1 night rate is the cheapest we've found online, anything better out there? Maybe the dairy lads are getting better quotes?

I change every year, with some crowd this year I never heard of before - glowpower I think they called...

I use bonkers.ie or another one of those comparison sites, input the kw hours I think, gives me a list and away you go...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,917 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I change every year, with some crowd this year I never heard of before - glowpower I think they called...

I use bonkers.ie or another one of those comparison sites, input the kw hours I think, gives me a list and away you go...

I'm with glowpower too. They upped their price after I moved to them. If I go on to bonkers.ie now they're not even featuring the first page of deals for me. I'm paying alot more than last year

whelan2 wrote: »
    I'm with glowpower too. They upped their price after I moved to them. If I go on to bonkers.ie now they're not even featuring the first page of deals for me. I'm paying alot more than last year

I find it hard to work out what I’m paying as its not a true direct debit, it’s a set amount every month and then I see to get a rebate or reduction in the monthly charge every now and then...

I’m locked in for 12 months, so as soon as that’s up, will move again...

I submit a meter reading each month and get a bill. It's hard to understand the bill. I'm with them since last August

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Aravo

With energia here. Change every year via bonkers.ie.
    Was with electric Ireland last year. I called them to check my end of contract date. It turned out I was a week or two out of contract so that was fine with me, so I could leave. And I know that when you go out of contract after the 12mths they move you to an unfavourable plan. So I told them on the call that I was leaving and then got the "well we could offer you a better deal". I just said no thanks, nothing from you at the end of my contract. So good luck and good bye. The way things go, I could be back with electric Ireland at the end of the year as a new customer. No energy provider places value on loyalty.

• Advertisement

The only down side with energia is there's a cap on the amount of units at the reduced price. So if you use alot of electricity you won't be saving much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I'm with flogas. Contract was up and they put on the best deal they had at the time with 80euro cashback.

Think there's better deals available since. I found the staff friendly and helpful and not too pushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Aravo wrote: »
    With energia here. Change every year via bonkers.ie.
    Was with electric Ireland last year. I called them to check my end of contract date. It turned out I was a week or two out of contract so that was fine with me, so I could leave. And I know that when you go out of contract after the 12mths they move you to an unfavourable plan. So I told them on the call that I was leaving and then got the "well we could offer you a better deal". I just said no thanks, nothing from you at the end of my contract. So good luck and good bye. The way things go, I could be back with electric Ireland at the end of the year as a new customer. No energy provider places value on loyalty.

Last year Electric Ireland rang me up and offered to roll over the contract for a year a couple of weeks before it was up. It prompted me to check bonkers.ie and I'm with energia now. I expect I'll be with someone else once my contract is up.

The only down side with energia is there's a cap on the amount of units at the reduced price. So if you use alot of electricity you won't be saving much

Tbh on bonkers I just plugged in my average usage which I know over the least few years. So in that regard I should be ok. I also plug in the meter reading every two months so am not getting an estimated bill, which I used to find estimates higher rather than lower. I must admit if bonkers gave me very similar costs for 3 different suppliers I would likely go with the best known and not some crowd I never heard off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Anyone with a Solar PV setup avoid electric Ireland, they have a low usage charge.
    Its gauling generating 100% of your power needs from March to October knowing your going to get a bill for not using enough.
    I moved to Iberdrola but will be jumping as soon as.

• Advertisement

Looked mine up there
    Standing charge seems to be about 130/year
    15.5/unit

That’s with glowpower...

Looking at bonkers.ie - they don’t have any better options, which I have never seen before...

No - there are cheaper options on bonkers, I screwed up the search...

But, they are all only cheaper due to the cash back, the standing charge and unit rate are all more expensive.

The cheapest is Electric Ireland, at peak rate of 18.8cent, and a standing charge of 228
    But - they have a cash back of 210, which makes it cheaper...
    But I don’t save over 210, I only save 165... kinda strange...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Good loser

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    Anyone with a Solar PV setup avoid electric Ireland, they have a low usage charge.
    Its gauling generating 100% of your power needs from March to October knowing your going to get a bill for not using enough.
    I moved to Iberdrola but will be jumping as soon as.

I get a big low usage charge from Electric Irl at times.

Do some providers not have this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,386 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Surely they can’t up the price after you’ve signed up for a year?

Green&Red wrote: »

Yes they can, afsik the price is only valid when you sign up. Most electricity providers have increased their prices. The discount you're getting is off their main price

Good loser wrote: »
    I get a big low usage charge from Electric Irl at times.

Do some providers not have this?

No only EI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,018 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I signed up with panda power for 14.7 cent a unit on day rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭alps

It may pay you to break the contract...In some cases it might only cost €50

alps wrote: »
    It may pay you to break the contract...In some cases it might only cost €50

I'm paying over 500 a month atm. Was under 400 last year

Holy fxxk if anyone needs solar PV fitted its you.
    6k a year on power you would have pay back on a decent setup in less than 5 years or less.

• Advertisement

That’s a fair bill every month...

I was surprised when I went looking yesterday at how low ours was - last year we spent 780, that’s 65/month...

That’s a fair bill every month...

I was surprised when I went looking yesterday at how low ours was - last year we spent 780, that’s 65/month...

Mine is house and farm, night rate meter

Mine is house and farm, night rate meter

Oh I know. Cooling milk takes a fair whack I imagine?

Jesus, be a fair home to burn that much power every month on its own... :)

Oh I know. Cooling milk takes a fair whack I imagine?

Jesus, be a fair home to burn that much power every month on its own... :)

Milk collected each day which adds to cooling costs

Milk collected each day which adds to cooling costs

Why is this?
    Is it cos there isn’t cool milk to cool the fresh milk down when it hits the tank?

Why is this?
    Is it cos there isn’t cool milk to cool the fresh milk down when it hits the tank?

Ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭pummice

Green&Red wrote: »

They can break the contract legally, but the consumer has to pay to get out of the contract. The odds are stacked against the user. Just wait until Smart Meters arrive. It will get even more complicated to know who is offering the best deal

pummice wrote: »
    They can break the contract legally, but the consumer has to pay to get out of the contract. The odds are stacked against the user. Just wait until Smart Meters arrive. It will get even more complicated to know who is offering the best deal

I have a bad feeling your right, its going to be like health insurance pricing.

Have you tried bonkers to see what it is suggesting and compare that with your current tariff. Could be well worth to break contract and go elsewhere. It would be benificial to know what units you use anually to get the best rate.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

What percentage are you able to use at night rate? I'm guessing the bulk tank is direct expansion? It's a fair whack of a bill alright. Would a gas heater in the dairy work out better I wonder?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement