Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt

Options
  • 30-05-2021 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi bought a car yesterday but it’s on Uk plates. Has been in the south of Ireland since 2015 as I’ve been told but was never registered. Will I face extra fees or what do I need to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Blaser1982 wrote: »
    Hi bought a car yesterday but it’s on Uk plates. Has been in the south of Ireland since 2015 as I’ve been told but was never registered. Will I face extra fees or what do I need to do.

Yes you are in trouble with that. Why buy then ask?
    Ask then buy!!!!

You will need to prove how it got in such as ferry, date of sale, v5, Nox tax, new vat and charges, late fees penalty and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So what was the car doing in the country for the last 6 years? Is it a classic car, being restored?

You are potentially in a world of pain now regarding questions from the VRT folks. Do you have proof of purchase ie a dated invoice from the seller? That might help you. People really need to look before they leap and do proper research before buying. That car could have been passed around donedeal for the last number of years because the VRT owed on it is pretty high. If there is no proof of when it came into the country then there could well be VRT penalties plus if it's a UK car there could also be VAT and duty owed on it now because of Brexit which is why it probably was never registered here. It's crazy asking this kind of stuff now after buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭brian_gall85

Bought an 18 reg Leon in April from a seller in Carlow which was on UK plates and was in Ireland from December 2020.

Rang the NCT who deal with the VRT and they said that I wouldn't face any back charges

I needed the V5, proof of shipment to Ireland and the receipt of sale from the seller with the purchase date on it. This is when I paid the VRT from.

Your issue is that the car has been in Ireland for years and might not have proof of shipping to Ireland.

Advertisement