Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

cameras mounted on signposts

Options
  • 24-05-2021 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

On the Chapelizod bypass heading west I noticed a couple of cameras mounted on signposts, no clear indication that they were speed cameras prior to seeing them, it's a 80 zone that goes to 60 before the filter/joining road from the Kylemore Road.
    Anyone any idea as to what they are? Traffic cameras maybe? Not average speed cameras either I guess.

Tried to get a decent grab from the dashcam but a bit too pixelated to make out clearly, there's at least 2 cameras per sign post and another set of them just before that filter road.

553966.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

These would be road survey cameras and traffic counters.

They put up leave for a period and remove.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There might also be bus detection sensors to trigger the traffic lights at the right moment for buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Victor wrote: »
    There might also be bus detection sensors to trigger the traffic lights at the right moment for buses.

I don't think so. I think the ones the OP refers to are real temporary looking fixtures mounted atop existing directional and/or speed signposts. Similar cameras were mounted across the road from my house where there is no bus lane. They were there for a couple of weeks and have since been removed.

Traffic survey is the most likely purpose as posted by punisher5112

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

crosstownk wrote: »
    I don't think so. I think the ones the OP refers to are real temporary looking fixtures mounted atop existing directional and/or speed signposts. Similar cameras were mounted across the road from my house where there is no bus lane. They were there for a couple of weeks and have since been removed.

Traffic survey is the most likely purpose as posted by punisher5112
    Agree, passed yesterday twice and it really doesn't look like speed cameras. Most likely just for traffic survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Is that really a dash cam?

It's more focused on the windscreen rain drops, rather than anything beyond the front bumper, by the looks of it. Even the cycle lane paint is out of focus immediately in front of the car..

How close to the windscreen is it?

I would have thought dash cams had fixed focused lens, to ensure distance objects were captured only, and the windscreen would be much too close, if installed anywhere near the windscreen.

I'd work on fixing your dash cam if you need to use it for anything in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

ForestFire wrote: »
    Is that really a dash cam?

It's more focused on the windscreen rain drops, rather than anything beyond the front bumper, by the looks of it. Even the cycle lane paint is out of focus immediately in front of the car..

How close to the windscreen is it?

I would have thought dash cams had fixed focused lens, to ensure distance objects were captured only, and the windscreen would be much too close, if installed anywhere near the windscreen.

I'd work on fixing your dash cam if you need to use it for anything in the future.
    Hi, not a dashcam, had my phone fixed to the dash, I thought the dashcam would not pick it up that well hence I opted for the phone recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I noticed a lot of these have been put around the citywest campus

Advertisement