Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Strumms wrote: »
    Dunno, I’d just think of that as a bit of a buzz killing maneuver personally...

Y but it was SAVAGE weather. And that was back in the day when taxi’s were as rare as hens teeth - particularly on dirty nights like that.

I’d like the Larry Murphy riddles uncracked. How many women has he been responsible for and God help them where are all those missing women and girls lying in the dark and unfound.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,901 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Y but it was SAVAGE weather. And that was back in the day when taxi’s were as rare as hens teeth - particularly on dirty nights like that.

I’d like the Larry Murphy riddles uncracked. How many women has he been responsible for and God help them where are all those missing women and girls lying in the dark and unfound.

After a night out partying, consuming alcohol ... going into work, talking with a colleague and checking emails...? A lot of jobs would have a policy of you not being on the premises having consumed alcohol also....health and safety,, as well as it being dodge if you got emotive at seeing an email you disliked and.... #&@€;***

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

FrankN1 wrote: »
    Yeah it is fairly odd but a good tactic to try and use if someone was following you. But he rejected a lift which makes that point a bit redundant. Although it was pouring down so maybe taking shelter wasn't a bad idea and getting an umbrella

Where did you read that? Not saying it's not true but unless I've forgotten that bit of info I don't think that was mentioned before.

He lived on Serpentine Ave, the workplace was maybe a 20-30min walk on Wilton Terrace at the top of Lesson St

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭FrankN1

oneilla wrote: »
    Where did you read that? Not saying it's not true but unless I've forgotten that bit of info I don't think that was mentioned before.

He lived on Serpentine Ave, the workplace was maybe a 20-30min walk on Wilton Terrace at the top of Lesson St

I can't recall but I did here his colleague offered him a lift if he waited a few mins but he said no. Can't be 100pc of the source but it was definitely on a documentary or article about the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Suckit wrote: »
    I can't get past the tail lift. IIRC it was a sizeable one when they believe he left the plane. I don't see how he could bounce on the steps and create that.
    I remember the money was found at river bank and tbh there a billion places it could be, the rest of the theory all seems sound, but the tail lift.
    I will have to look it up again, I remember seeing a doc years ago and that was a big part of them guessing the time he left the plane. IDK, but although he may have seemed to have thought of everything, that seems like a big ask, especially in that weather.

Rationally explained in the recent speculative document. Rear stairs would have only partially lowered by itself. He went partially down the stairs to throw out some materials from the plane (which were later found on ground) to misdirect the authorities. In doing this the stairs would have dropped more giving some form of bump - that may have been a deliberate move too but no way to know. Interestingly, it was obviously not a significant bump as the crew thought he had never left the plane and presumed he was still on board when they landed. It was only after (when the idea was suggested by investigators?) that they thought "well, there was this one bump alright.....". Weather in Reno (where this guy postulates he jumped) was apparently perfect for night parachuting that night, bearing in mind he would have bailed close to the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

The disappearance of Fred Valentich. He was a pilot who set off from a Melbourne airport on a training exercise over Bass Strait. He never arrived at King Island.

What makes it creepy that he radioed in that there was a strange craft following him and the last piece of communication was a metallic scraping sound. Experts said that he was disorientated and was flying upside down and seeing the lights from his own craft on the water but the Cessna he was flying could only fly upside down for a few seconds before stalling.

They have never found him or his craft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Why is Ryan Tubridy paid 500k a year by an organisation that makes huge losses every year?

He is talentless, smug, arrogant and fake.

Some mysteries will never be solved.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

FrankN1 wrote: »
    I can't recall but I did here his colleague offered him a lift if he waited a few mins but he said no. Can't be 100pc of the source but it was definitely on a documentary or article about the case.

Where did you hear this? It's a serious piece of information.

The colleague in the office he had a cuppa with was named Karl Pender who was working the night shift. Some workmates showed up after Trevor to collect an overnight bag and they then headed off in the direction of Rathmines/Ranelagh. I've never seen anything about him declining a lift home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The colleague in the office he had a cuppa with was named Karl Pender who was working the night shift. Some workmates showed up after Trevor to collect an overnight bag and they then headed off in the direction of Rathmines/Ranelagh. I've never seen anything about him declining a lift home.

I think, at the time, there were reports coming out that had information in them that has since been ruled out.

I’ve never heard him turning down a lift but I do remember hearing that TD was supposed to meet a man and a woman after he left work but that piece was never repeated so it must have been ruled out or proven to be false information.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’ve read quite a bit on TD disappearance and I can’t recall ever seeing that he rejected an offer of a lift home either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭FrankN1

It must have been a documentary but can't recall which one. I've seen so many on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

coinop wrote: »
    The disappearance of Fred Valentich. He was a pilot who set off from a Melbourne airport on a training exercise over Bass Strait. He never arrived at King Island.

What makes it creepy that he radioed in that there was a strange craft following him and the last piece of communication was a metallic scraping sound. Experts said that he was disorientated and was flying upside down and seeing the lights from his own craft on the water but the Cessna he was flying could only fly upside down for a few seconds before stalling.

otway-1.jpg

This photo was, allegedly, taken not long before, or after, Valentich flew past. I think there was a second photo taken of this “object” but I can’t find it now.

I’m sure there’s a hundred explanations but it still adds to the mystery.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

MH370

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

coinop wrote: »

Not quite accurate. The Cessna he was flying had a gravity fed fuel system and almost certainly a wet sump oil system. Aerodynamically it's possible to fly these aircraft upside down but the engine will quickly suffer from fuel starvation and lubrication issues with oil not returning to the sump by gravity.

Also worth mentioning that he had failed numerous theory exams while trying to obtain a commercial pilots licence (at least 8) so he wasn't the most capable man to ever sit at the controls of an aircraft.

He may very well have ended up in an unusual attitude, either a spiral dive or fully inverted, and never recovered, mistaking reflections of his own lights and bright stars for another craft following him.

According to his father he was paranoid about UFO's abducting him so he could have gotten himself fairly stressed in the unusual situation he found himself in.

Lastly, an engine cowling from a Cessna 182 which was identified to be from the same period of manufacture as the aircraft he was flying, was found washed up near Tasmania 5 years after he disappeared.

It's very likely in my opinion that he got disorientated, put the aircraft in a situation which caused the engine to suffer, convinced himself he was being chased by a UFO and crashed into the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's very likely in my opinion that he got disorientated, put the aircraft in a situation which caused the engine to suffer, convinced himself he was being chased by a UFO and crashed into the sea.
    Decent article on it here

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/news/pilot-talk/2020/11/23/mysteries-of-flight-alien-abduction-or-pilot-error/

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Thanks for this, hadn't heard of it before so looking forward to reading the article!

On the Dyatlov Pass mystery, The Prosecutors Podcast covered it excellently in multiple episodes recently, would highly recommend! From memory there are five parts, link to their website on the first part: https://prosecutorspodcast.com/2021/03/02/61-the-dyatlov-pass-incident-part-1-baby-its-cold-outside/

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

This might seem rather banal compared to the others but I am interested in the mystery of consciousness. Roger Penrose thinks it might be due to quantum coherence and entanglement within the microtubules of found in neurons. Their theory is lacking hard proof though and further work is needed.

All the same, it's a mystery worth solving.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

MH370

Are they settled on the pilot decompressing the cabin and killing everyone on board ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Purple is a Fruit

Not quite accurate. The Cessna he was flying had a gravity fed fuel system and almost certainly a wet sump oil system. Aerodynamically it's possible to fly these aircraft upside down but the engine will quickly suffer from fuel starvation and lubrication issues with oil not returning to the sump by gravity.

Also worth mentioning that he had failed numerous theory exams while trying to obtain a commercial pilots licence (at least 8) so he wasn't the most capable man to ever sit at the controls of an aircraft.

He may very well have ended up in an unusual attitude, either a spiral dive or fully inverted, and never recovered, mistaking reflections of his own lights and bright stars for another craft following him.

According to his father he was paranoid about UFO's abducting him so he could have gotten himself fairly stressed in the unusual situation he found himself in.

Lastly, an engine cowling from a Cessna 182 which was identified to be from the same period of manufacture as the aircraft he was flying, was found washed up near Tasmania 5 years after he disappeared.

Great post. Yes it's always noted that while the poor lad longed to be a pilot he just couldn't make the cut unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Are they settled on the pilot decompressing the cabin and killing everyone on board ?

Best guess, but cannot be confirmed till they actually find the wreckage, then they may get clues as to what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

It's most likely been mentioned here before but the disappearance of Conor and Sheila Dwyer in 1991 is baffling.
    They were last seen walking to a funeral one morning in a nearby church.
    Gardai searched their house and none of their belonging had been touched.
    The couple and their Toyota Cressida car have never been found.
    They had sold a field for a record sum at the time, perhaps significant if it was something like a botched kidnapping by someone who knew they had money.

It's most likely been mentioned here before but the disappearance of Conor and Sheila Dwyer in 1991 is baffling.
    They were last seen walking to a funeral one morning in a nearby church.
    Gardai searched their house and none of their belonging had been touched.
    The couple and their Toyota Cressida car have never been found.
    They had sold a field for a record sum at the time, perhaps significant if it was something like a botched kidnapping by someone who knew they had money.
    Hadn't heard it before, they were missing 23 days before any alarm was raised :eek:.

I realise it was 1991 and before internet or mobile phones were widely available, but that seems like a long time.

https://www.thejournal.ie/fermoy-conor-and-shelia-dwyer-missing-2452743-Nov2015/
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40277654.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Hadn't heard it before, they were missing 23 days before any alarm was raised :eek:.

I realise it was 1991 and before internet or mobile phones were widely available, but that seems like a long time.

https://www.thejournal.ie/fermoy-conor-and-shelia-dwyer-missing-2452743-Nov2015/
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40277654.html

Did they not find their car in a river in the last few years? with them inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,304 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Not as far as I'm aware and a quick Google shows Gardai making appeals as recently as last month.
    Another man went missing from fermoy around the same time and he was found in his car at the bottom of a lake/river.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Did their car go missing?

Did their car go missing?
    No, their car was in their driveway.

Yes, apparently so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Be right back

Not as far as I'm aware and a quick Google shows Gardai making appeals as recently as last month.
    Another man went missing from fermoy around the same time and he was found in his car at the bottom of a lake/river.

That man was found in the river Blackwater near the town itself.

I think the Dwyers' car was never located either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

That was a man who went missing from Fermoy the previous year along with his car.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-20231494.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

No, their car was in their driveway.

The car disappeared along with them.

• Advertisement

The car disappeared along with them.
    Apologies. I had kept reading after the Journal article, and ran into the comments and saw this.
    Stupidly, I had seen it was missing in the article and then never questioned this. I also saw something else referring to it, but can't find it, and that was likely incorrect too.

554568.png

Advertisement