Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The scale of the construction was massive. Even by modern standards. It took 20,000 men 20-30 years to build them. They carved the stones in a quarry and they were moved and put in place using a system of leverage, pullies and ramps.
    The quarry is about 1000km away from the pyramids but when the Nile flooded they floated the rocks down it to Giza. Then they brought statues and rocks on sleds pulled by about 200 men.

Or you know Aliens did it.

The biggest mystery around the Pyramids is why the Egyptians have allowed the site to fall into such disrepair.
    They`ve allowed construction of houses right up beside it even when UNESCO condemned them for it. The place is like one giant flytip with rubbish all over. There`s basically no policing at all and it`s jammed with hawkers who follow you around annoying you.

another mystery is that the egyptian border isn't natural, it's a straight line drawn by an occupier, and Sudan has / had the exact same level of antiquities which are constantly being dug up and smuggled and sold. you litterally cannot dig a hole in sudan without finding something out of this world!

It's a shame about the cultural differences regarding preservation of this magical land, i felt sick to my stomach hearing of the destruction of afghanistans antiquities.

also i'd love to see an inventory of what was lost in alexandria

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

also i'd love to see an inventory of what was lost in alexandria
    Do you mean the fire caused by Julius Caesar in 48BC ?

Or Queen Zenobia in 272 AD or Emperor Diocletian in 297 AD ?

Or 642 AD "If those books are in agreement with the Quran, we have no need of them; and if these are opposed to the Quran, destroy them." ?

Too soon man , too soon :mad:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Which one was the one where they burned the books to heat the water of their bath-houses?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

another mystery is that the egyptian border isn't natural, it's a straight line drawn by an occupier,
    Excellent BBC series Tales From The Map Room.

I can't remember which country it was in Africa that two English mappers were called in to delineate the border between two colonies. At first they mapped by tribal boundaries, then after a falling out it went to mapping by geography like rivers and mountains. Finally one lad was left on his own and just drew a straight line to the end.

The kink in the border between Kenya and Tanzania is so that Queen Victoria and her nephew the Kaiser could both have a snow covered mountain.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,568 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I can't say it's "my favourite" because I've only just come across it, but it seems interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Still think of Trevor Deely to this day. Have watched and read a lot of stuff on his story and still non the wiser. A true mystery. Really hope the lad didn't suffer, seemed like a really good lad.

I remember about 5 years ago now spotting his father in Naas, only recognised him through news photos and he looked a jaded man. Must be awful for that family.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bizarre case unfolding in the US...

Sierra National Forest officials Saturday issued a closure of the Merced River Recreation Site "due to unknown hazards found in and near the Savage Lundy Trail."

John Gerrish, 45, Ellen Chung, 30, and their 1-year-old daughter Miju — as well as their family dog Oski — were found dead Aug. 17 in the Devil's Gulch area in the south fork of the Merced River in the Sierra National Forest, the Mariposa County Sheriff's Office said. Responding agencies treated the scene as a hazmat situation because of uncertainty about the cause of the fatalities...

Previous autopsy data provided by the Mariposa County Sheriff's Office has ruled out chemical hazards on the Savage Lundy Trail and acute trauma, such as stabbing, gunshot wounds or blunt-force trauma... While speculation continues over the role of harmful algal blooms, officials posted signs as early as mid-July around the area warning about the risks of drinking water near the area. Toxicology results are expected in the upcoming weeks, while investigators requested access to Chung and Gerrish's cellphones and social media accounts last week.

'Unknown hazards' found on Sierra National Forest trail near where Calif. family was found dead (sfgate.com)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

In Mortal Kombat 1 Arcade, what does Raiden shout when he does the Superman flying move, "Your moms from LA" or "Get in the car now"? Who Knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Why is James Corden so popular. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Wasn't aware of this story until I read about it tonight.

A suspected serial killer known as le grele has been found dead in France after taking his own life as the net was closing in on him thanks to DNA profiling.

He was suspected of comitting a number of horrific murders in the 80s and 90s.

He was a former gendarm and apparantly stopped offending in 1997.

He left a suicide note confessing his crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Oh, Buzzfeed Unsolved does some really good unsolved mystery shows,

• The show they did about the Zodiac
    • The one about The Somerton Man
    • one about the Soder kids disappearing during a fire in the 1940's
    • The Black Dahlia
    • D.B Cooper
    • The Tylenol pill murders
    • Who Bella in the Wyche Elm?
    • The Tromp Family road trip
    • A boys head in a box
    • The Axeman of New Orleans
    • Murder in hotel room 1046
    • ^ There some of the best ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Be right back

This is a very sad case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,919 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

DB Cooper one has always intrigued me. That’s just freaky...

hijacking a 727, getting it to land to pick up ransom money... getting the crew to open the rear stairs, mid flight and parachuting away without a trace of the cash...odd.

not ever close to finding him...

a b727 cruises at over 500mph, how wasn’t the stairs ripped off, even at slower speed. How did Cooper exit safely with being seriously hurt by the jet blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭paul71

On tghe Shergar topic. He was dead within a week. The are a very limited number of people in the country with the skills and experience to handle a fully mature throughbred stallion, (even in Ireland where we are over-represented with people with those skills), remember a stallion standing at stud is NOT a skinny 3 year old racehorse. The Gardai realised this at the time and interviewed and watched people capable of handling throughbred stallions. Shergar was kidnapped at night put on a horse box by inexperienced handlers, probably injured in the process, brought to an unfamiliar envirionment, boxed in a stable 1/4 the size he was accustomed to, most likely became a danger to the guys who kidnapped him and was likely shot within a few days after he had kicked or bitten several of the kidnappers.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

there was an earlier post on this thread with a link to the latest theory on how he did it and it seemed possible. Unfortunately the search function is such that I cannot find it.

Can’t find it either...My own view is that it wasn’t survivable.

Here is why I think, the 727 has not one but three tail / aft mounted engines , the jet blast from those engines on Cooper exiting the aircraft would have hit Cooper and sent Cooper flying... possibly even broke his neck or broke something or probably everything ... would have had to...

the aircraft with fuel, passengers, luggage and catering would have weighed north of 80 tonnes. Typical cruising speed I’m reading is Mach .84... Cooper would have exited the aircraft even only momentarily about 10 feet away from engines powering an 80 tonnes machine .84of the speed of sound...I’d imagine his head was infact dislodged from his torso..

Air is thinner higher up so you have to go faster than lower down.

Here's how the pilots jumped out during the 2012 Boeing 727 crash experiment.

The ones that are just a headwreck are: the Springfield three (a woman, her daughter and daughter's friend vanished from the woman's house one night - an urban area, nobody heard anything), Cindy James (stalked and tormented for nearly seven years - or did she do it to herself? It doesn't seem possible for her to have done it all to herself), Leah Roberts (car found overturned in an embankment, utterly no sign of her - all of her money and jewellery still in there), Laureen Rahn (disappeared from her home in the middle of the night - later on, strange phone activity from the other side of the country), Don Kemp (abandoned his vehicle, disappeared... months later strange phone calls), Henry McCabe (vanished after night out but made phone calls while something was happening to him; body found a few months later).

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

the position of the aft engines actually helped him. they are placed quite high on the aircraft so the jet blast would not be an issue. here is a picture of the opened airstair that he jumped from. you can see that he would be clear of the jet blast from the 3 engines.

Questions that would need answering though... in 2012 that’s a controlled scenario... the engines could have been running at idle, in fact I imagine they were... the aircraft relying on natural airspeed probably 130ish knots...

cooper was uncontrolled, live flight, cruise speed...

jet blast was 100% an issue... he was being hit by well over 10,000 lbs of thrust and only feet from that source.

Cooper probably weighed 70 kgs give or take... here is a twin engine aircraft vs a small truck...the truck looks like it weighs north of 1000 kilograms probably closer to a 1500...

Now imagine a 70kg guy vs jet engines....at a similar or closer proximity...

• Advertisement

The Tylenol case is just mad. James Lewis does seem like the culprit but no physical evidence.

A piece of work called George Hodel is believed by members of his own family to be responsible for the Elizabeth Short (Black Dahlia) murder. Check out the podcast Root of Evil.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

No one in Ireland with a music degree has composed a symphony.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well there was money found which was traced to the money that he got but there seems to be a debate over when and how it got to that river bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Stop knocking off any one showing promise in unfortunate accidents then.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The Tamam Shud case or Somerton Man

Body of a man found on a beach in Australia in 1948

Very mysterious

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Mention of the Somerton Man in one of the posts reminds of a similar case in Dublin I think around 1993/94. A man was found dead in a hotel room and a copy of Franz Kafkas The Trial was either in his pocket or on the bedside. A photo of the dead man's face was released and eventually he was identified, so technically not a long term mystery but its one that I'd say has been long forgotten. It was a big story at the time.

• Advertisement

This mystery still hasn't been solved.

Advertisement