Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Honestly not sure to be honest , maybe age mattered too ? She is 30+ and Type 1

Don't think age is a factor, I think despite the guidelines, it is clinic dependent. A Type 1 beside me who is 15 years younger than me was called in a few weeks before me, not sure where he is based. I was called in seemingly before many here and my HbA1C is well below the threshold. I'd say some clinics are doing it and others have admin staff doing it and they have been told for ease or concern on patient data, just send all the names and work through them. Even more inconsistently some here seem to be getting pushed through by their GP, and others by their clinic so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Just something I noticed with myself, after the vaccine my insulin was less effective for a few days, It happened after the first Vaccine but I thought maybe I made a mistake some where but it has happened again after the 2nd vaccine where I would eat the same food and take the same insulin that I normally would but my blood sugar jumps up almost double what it usually does in such situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just something I noticed with myself, after the vaccine my insulin was less effective for a few days, It happened after the first Vaccine but I thought maybe I made a mistake some where but it has happened again after the 2nd vaccine where I would eat the same food and take the same insulin that I normally would but my blood sugar jumps up almost double what it usually does in such situations.

You're not alone.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116814686&postcount=4421

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=116823376&postcount=4431

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

For anybody who is interested

I am 49, Type 2

Have been waiting quite some time for the doc to call me

Rocked up to the Vaccination Centre in the Midlands Park Hotel in Portlaoise today with my PPSN number and ID, and my prescription.

No problems getting registered and my first jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

Had my 2nd Pfizer vaccine at 10:50 this morning and have felt fine since. Took a blood reading at 17:30 just before my dinner this evening and it was 14.5. At the same time on the day of my first jab 4 weeks ago it was 4.8. I have never had a reading as high as 14.5 before. I'm a type 2 on Metformin. I assume the figure will drop of its own accord and I'll take a few more readings through the evening to keep an eye on it. Is there anything I should do to get the number down or do I just let nature take its course. I feel no different to normal. I don't even have a sore arm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

Had my 2nd Pfizer vaccine at 10:50 this morning and have felt fine since. Took a blood reading at 17:30 just before my dinner this evening and it was 14.5. At the same time on the day of my first jab 4 weeks ago it was 4.8. I have never had a reading as high as 14.5 before. I'm a type 2 on Metformin. I assume the figure will drop of its own accord and I'll take a few more readings through the evening to keep an eye on it. Is there anything I should do to get the number down or do I just let nature take its course. I feel no different to normal. I don't even have a sore arm.

My readings went berserk for a week after my first dose of AZ. I'm on injections so the only advice I can give you is keep a good eye on your bg and keep hydrated. I would also suggest you ring your diabetes clinic tomorrow so they can give you suitable advice, given your medical history etc Especially given the clinic will be closed over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

Taeholic wrote: »
    My readings went berserk for a week after my first dose of AZ. I'm on injections so the only advice I can give you is keep a good eye on your bg and keep hydrated. I would also suggest you ring your diabetes clinic tomorrow so they can give you suitable advice, given your medical history etc Especially given the clinic will be closed over the weekend.

Checked again at 8pm and it was down to 5.1. If it's still all over the place tomorrow morning I'll call the clinic. Thanks for the advice.

Mine running slightly lower than usual since my second jab of Moderna but it could be unrelated. Either way I am fully covered now.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Taeholic

Checked again at 8pm and it was down to 5.1. If it's still all over the place tomorrow morning I'll call the clinic. Thanks for the advice.

That's brilliant hopefully it was a one off. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, the vaccine is new to us all and we've all had such variation in terms of how it has effected each of us individually. Definitely call your clinic but hopefully you won't need to. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

ebbsy wrote: »
    For anybody who is interested

I am 49, Type 2

Have been waiting quite some time for the doc to call me

Rocked up to the Vaccination Centre in the Midlands Park Hotel in Portlaoise today with my PPSN number and ID, and my prescription.

No problems getting registered and my first jab.

Im getting mine on Thursday.Im 48 type 2 with sleep apnea and an anerusym.I dont do things by half:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Does anyone know where to pick up Dextro or Lift at a reasonable price, brexit has made the usual amazon sellers stop shipping to Ireland. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

dubstarr wrote: »
    Im getting mine on Thursday.Im 48 type 2 with sleep apnea and an anerusym.I dont do things by half:D

Yeah well I managed to give myself Diabetic Retinopathy.

Does that top your sleep apnea and an anerusym ? :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

SomeFool wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to pick up Dextro or Lift at a reasonable price, brexit has made the usual amazon sellers stop shipping to Ireland. Thanks! :)

Lift is included in the LTI. Get your doctor to put it on your prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lift is included in the LTI. Get your doctor to put it on your prescription.

This.
    Dextro and possibly other Glucose gels and sweets are available via the LTI too.
    So it likely isn't an issue a diabetic would normally encounter.
    It could impact on those who use gels for running, cycling or other fitness pursuits a bit heavily though.

From the HSE by way of a reply to https://theartisandiabetic.ie/lti-scheme-for-people-who-have-diabetes/
    “I wish to advise you that I checked your query with the HSE Primary Care Reimbursement Services and they advised me that there is no codes for the three items you listed in your email. The Pharmacist can send the three items as a claim as uncoded items under Code 77750 and attach a copy of the invoice.

Alternatively, your Pharmacist can contact the Drugs Unit/Pharmacy Functions Unit in the HSE Primary Care Reimbursement Services and they will advise them with regard to the above process. I trust this is of assistance.’

There have been rumours that Dextrose Gel, which is used to treat hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) by people with insulin dependent diabetes was no longer on the list of approved items. As per above this is not the case. The items I enquired about are still covered under the LTI scheme. Your pharmacy just has to send a copy of the invoice for the products under code 77750 and they will be reimbursed.

I always find staff on the HSE helplines very helpful. This query was answered very quickly. If you are concerned about your entitlements it is always better to check it out rather than worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Xofpod

2nd dose (moderna) yesterday. Sore arm again, very tired today but no negative effects beyond that. HSE set-up was exemplary again. Great work from them despite everything going on in the background.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Had my second Astra Zeneca yesterday.

Don't seem to have any symptoms, unless a very mild headache last night which could equally have been caused by a rowdy 5 year old, and there doesn't seem to be any wild swings with my BG readings either this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

robinph wrote: »
    Had my second Astra Zeneca yesterday.

Don't seem to have any symptoms, unless a very mild headache last night which could equally have been caused by a rowdy 5 year old, and there doesn't seem to be any wild swings with my BG readings either this time round.

How was the reaction to the first one? It floored me! So much so that I won’t take it again/ I’d rather have Covid. But curious to see how others reacted first time round in comparison to the second jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

2nd Pfizer this week, no reaction as regards even arm soreness, only thing was and may not be related but a bit tired for two days and did not sleep well last couple of nights, all seems back to normal now this evening

ddarcy wrote: »
    How was the reaction to the first one? It floored me! So much so that I won’t take it again/ I’d rather have Covid. But curious to see how others reacted first time round in comparison to the second jab.

A complete anecdote but anyone I know who got hammered by AZ had Covid previously, could you have had it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Had a pretty rough night after the first jab with shivers and headache, but by the morning it was mostly fine other than the lack of sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

CramCycle wrote: »
    A complete anecdote but anyone I know who got hammered by AZ had Covid previously, could you have had it?

If I did it would have been with no symptoms. I also live in an area that doesn’t have high rates of Covid in Sligo. It’s been pretty non existent in my town

Think it's entirely random. One friend who had covid pretty bad in January, and they were close to calling an ambulance for them, but they had zero symptoms from the vaccine. I'd had a very close call in not catching covid at the same time as them from minding their kid for a day when they were definitely positive but I did get vaccine symptoms, whilst my wife only had arm numbness (although that was Moderna). Other families caught up in the same circle when that case was doing the rounds in our group had all avoided infection, and seems entirely random who got symptoms. Think all of us (other than my wife) got Astra Zeneca.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,158 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I was completely hammered by my first dose of AZ but definitely did not have covid before.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

The majority of people I know who got AZ felt flu like symptoms after the first vaccine but no affects with the second one. Vice versa for Pfizer. But this is just word on the street stuff.

Did you talk to your GP? Personally I would and weigh the benefits of full protection with AZ vs risking Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

There's no consistency with the side effects so it's best to hope for the best every time, rather than assume it'll create a bad reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

Had my second AZ last Sunday - blood sugar was a little crazy (11's!!!) in the mornings after the second until this morning... no side effects after either jab (1st was in March).

I had COVID back in Jan 2020 after a NYE party in the US (long story), as did at least one other - of course we all thought it was just flu - I ended up with COVID fog for months, but that seems to have moved on thankfully

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

May I ask what Pre Diabetic means. I have a Thyroid Illness know as Greaves with a number of side effects, including High Cholesterol and Blood pressure, both requiring additional medication along with Management of Greaves Disease. I see an endocrinologist every six months.

I've now been advised I am pre diabetic, not entirely sure what this may mean but have been advised to watch diet which I honestly do.

I'm just wondering is it just a cautious advisory or is it likely I'll develop diabetes, my be a tricky question to ask.

Thanks in advance

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,158 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Dempo1 wrote: »
    May I ask what Pre Diabetic means. I have a Thyroid Illness know as Greaves with a number of side effects, including High Cholesterol and Blood pressure, both requiring additional medication along with Management of Greaves Disease. I see an endocrinologist every six months.

I've now been advised I am pre diabetic, not entirely sure what this may mean but have been advised to watch diet which I honestly do.

I'm just wondering is it just a cautious advisory or is it likely I'll develop diabetes, my be a tricky question to ask.

Thanks in advance

It means your blood glucose levels are elevated but not enough to be classed as diabetic. If you keep going as you are you will most likely develop diabetes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It means your blood glucose levels are elevated but not enough to be classed as diabetic. If you keep going as you are you will most likely develop diabetes.

Thanks much for that quick response and clarification, appreciated :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭banjobongo

hi guys
    quick question - re the libre sensor, somebody posted on this thread a few weeks ago a product on Amazon, a protective band for the sensor when doing activity sports, it looked good but when I clicked on it the message was that they did not deliver to Ireland....anybody know where I can find and order such a product that can be delivered in IReland?

Advertisement