Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭micks_address

Wibbs wrote: »
    They're a funny old thing. If they fit your wrist they're bloody lovely and a keeper, but if they don't, they're not so lovely and tend to get moved on. I have no idea why they seem to vary on wrists and it's not thin or big wrist dependent either.

Agree with this. It just seems perfect on my wrist

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Speaking of the Tudor Pelagos I picked up a brand new ETA in Weirs during the week.

Couldn't believe when I seen it, I thought it must have been preowned since it was discontinued in 2016 but it turn out to be new old stock!

So it now comes with a 5 year warranty instead of 2 which the ETA version originally had! I'm absolutely delighted with it!

20210525-181626.jpg

Screenshot-20210527-122735-Gallery.jpggreen shot

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

So much nicer without the paragraph on the dial!

Got a nice Weirs pouch too as a bit of swag

Screenshot-20210527-122651-Gallery.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,699 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

2shea wrote: »
    Speaking of the Tudor Pelagos I picked up a brand new ETA in Weirs during the week.

Couldn't believe when I seen it, I thought it must have been preowned since it was discontinued in 2016 but it turn out to be new old stock!

So it now comes with a 5 year warranty instead of 2 which the ETA version originally had! I'm absolutely delighted with it!

Was it in the window or where did you spot it?

• Advertisement

Eoin wrote: »
    So much nicer without the paragraph on the dial!

I know and the fact weirs had it cheaper then any preowned versions I could find I had to buy it.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Was it in the window or where did you spot it?

On their website they had it hid away. I was in with a deposit down within 2 hours of seeing it.

I wouldn't mind I was in 2 days before looking at the in-house version!

20210518-145809.jpg

20210518-150221.jpg

20210518-150315.jpg

On their website they had it hid away. I was in with a deposit down within 2 hours of seeing it.

I wouldn't mind I was in 2 days before looking at the in-house version!

where was it on the website? i never look at it tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭scwazrh

where was it on the website? i never look at it tbh!

I seen it on their website on Saturday, it’s under their watch offers .There’s regularly some good deals on it .A few nice speedmasters there at the moment.

• Advertisement

scwazrh wrote: »
    I seen it on their website on Saturday, it’s under their watch offers .There’s regularly some good deals on it .A few nice speedmasters there at the moment.

Ya that was it!

I just typed in Tudor pelagos and 3 watched showed up 2 new models and one with the ETA dial so I zeroed in on that. Its gone now. Obviously

Screenshot-20210527-135720-Chrome.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just looking at that watch offer selection, they seem to have quite a few (or at least more than I was expecting) Nautilus' and Aquanaut's considering the money these go for on the grey market would they not have been snapped by now?

Just looking at that watch offer selection, they seem to have quite a few (or at least more than I was expecting) Nautilus' and Aquanaut's considering the money these go for on the grey market would they not have been snapped by now?

they arent there to buy

it's enquire :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

they arent there to buy

it's enquire :o

ah, I didn't spot that, I just assumed since they had a price on them they were to buy and was like they must have gotten a truck load of them in since I was in last :D

as a side note their site is atrocious and takes forever to load results (definitely not my internet connection as I'm on a 1000/100mbit line and I'm wired into the router :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Got a nice Weirs pouch too as a bit of swag

I got a Rolex one years ago from Weirs that I just used to fire around the place, in and out of bags, and into drawers etc......then I saw how much they trade for on the Interweb. Holy cow.

I still fire it around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

as a side note their site is atrocious and takes forever to load results (definitely not my internet connection as I'm on a 1000/100mbit line and I'm wired into the router :pac:).

I was just thinking the same but I think thats because half of boards is in the bargain basement section looking for another deal like that Pelagos :D

They are trying to dump some load of junk there. Eternas with only a 50% discount. First time I've seen one of those not with a miraculous 80% off RRP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

As I posted a few days ago I was trying on a 20-Y-O Omega Speedmaster Professional and liked how it looked on my wrist. Undoubtedly it's a cool looking watch but I'm reluctant to spend the likes of €4K for what is an over-hyped chronograph.

I like the design but these 'moon watch' histrionics have made something that should be selling for €1.5k at most into a turn-off for someone like me.

Ideally I'd pay a reasonable price for the new version but at around €6k everywhere I believe it's about €2k more than it's true worth.

As a non-flipper who dislikes being taken advantage of it's a real conundrum.

Any suggestions or comments (within reason) welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Fitz II

As I posted a few days ago I was trying on a 20-Y-O Omega Speedmaster Professional and liked how it looked on my wrist. Undoubtedly it's a cool looking watch but I'm reluctant to spend the likes of €4K for what is an over-hyped chronograph.

I like the design but these 'moon watch' histrionics have made something that should be selling for €1.5k at most into a turn-off for someone like me.

Ideally I'd pay a reasonable price for the new version but at around €6k everywhere I believe it's about €2k more than it's true worth.

You have three options.
    1. Buy a second hand one for around 3.5k (if you wait 6 months it will be 4k)
    2. Buy a new one for RRP as discounts dont exist as its a popular model and they can sell them twice over.
    3. Do without

Nobody is taking advantage of you, these are luxury good you decide to purchase or not. I dont think any well made in house chronograph from a luxury brand, with good residual values. would sell for 1.5k. Unfortunatly your determination of value does not determine the OMSP. You seem to be giving out about the watch a lot, maybe if its just the aesthetic you are after, an Alpha or the like would be more your comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,496 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The market dictates it's true worth, not your concern over histrionics or what you'd like to pay unfortunately.
    You may get lucky and find a fixer upper somewhere?

Omega's recent price rise, the new bracelet and the old model being discontinued now would all point towards the market dictating the price and anywhere I've seen Speedies trade hands recently?

That price seems to be €3.5k plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Actually, what you have going on there is quite a philosophical conundrum, trying to reconcile the difference between price (retail), worth (what you are prepared to pay), and value (what other people are have paid for one and set the market).

I often get them mixed up myself and buy something I convince myself has more worth than it evidentially does when I come to sell it; and sell a watch for a worth I estimate, but it turns out that I have underestimated how much other people value.

I'll get my coat now.

• Advertisement

scwazrh wrote: »
    Unless it has to be a moonwatch there is other speed masters available for better prices

https://weirandsons.ie/omega-speedmaster-broad-arrow-42mm-stainless-steel-automatic-chronograph-bracelet-watch.html

I like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭redlead

The price jump over the last few years for all used watches has been massive. If you click into the first few pages of the buying and selling thread from 2014 there were watches being sold for what seems like crazy cheap money now. Automatic seasmasters and speed masters for 1500, a sub for 5300, breitling colt for a grand, planet ocean for 1400 or something. I don't really see these going back down though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The market will soften RL, it's just a question of when and by how much. The current trend has also been buoyed up by the pandemic affect and this has affected all sorts of collectables. In uncertain times where confidence in the usual investment routes is not so confident people either dump all their collectables or start buying and selling like crazy. Classic cars, particularly the more recent batch, the "youngtimers" have also gone nuts(to give you an idea, my jalopy, a 4-5k car two years ago and you'd be waiting, is closer to a 20k car today. Insane.) And Porsche stuff has kept on climbing, when like Rolex there was previous talk of a bubble. Rolex and Porsche are very compatible bedfellows in lots of ways and the market has decided both are almost a virtual currency that can be traded with market agreed prices for particular models. So an 80's Porsche will trade at say 60K. That's the price. You'll have some at 58, some at 62, but unless they're a complete shed, or still in the factory wrapper the 60K is the value. On the other hand if you look at 80's Ferrari prices(save for rare one offs/specials) the prices might vary from 40K to 80K for the same model. The market values them, but not so consistently.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭893bet

I don’t think it will soften too much but level off in the medium term. Too much printing money for a major correction.

Speedmaster is so overrated IMO but it’s safe money if bought second hand.

Great to see you looking to progress and improve your collection CT.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭micks_address

If you keep an eye out you might pick one up for 3 without box and cards. You’d get close to it on chrono. Who knows I might end up selling mine again :)

I was told I did really well to sell the one I had last year for 3k but as soon as I tried to buy a replacement only a few months later everything was 3.5k plus

I suppose if you travel to the US or Japan you might do well on avoidance of import tax. I think a few people have bought from a site in Japan

https://mall.elady.com/items/search/?q=Speedmaster+moonwatch+

Import tax of course eats any savings

Thanks for that site Mick, my usual go to for looking at Jap stuff is via Yahoo auctions and that site is far simpler to navigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,856 ✭✭✭✭unkel

i have a new crush

Wow I can see why! $11k retail for the non-alarm version seems pretty reasonable too.

unkel wrote: »
    Wow I can see why! $11k retail for the non-alarm version seems pretty reasonable too.

Should be here soon :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I was looking at a Moonwatch in Keanes in Cork last week, they had last years discontinued model in stock which they were willing to do a deal on. If I remember right it was a sapphire model and asking 5200 less 10%. Might be a bit more in it if you pushed.

Advertisement