Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solo on June Bank Holiday weekend

Options
  • 28-05-2021 8:14pm

So I'll be visiting your lovely city on my Todd that weekend. What do you recommend I visit (that is also open)? I won't have a car, so I can't access the county unless I catch a bus or something.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Head down to the Spanish Arch with a a bag of cans and a bottle of Buckfast ( weather permitting of course)

All OPW heritage sites are free for the rest of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭con747

Get a big bag of popcorn and head to Salthill for the car parade and fallout....

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

con747 wrote: »
    Get a big bag of popcorn and head to Salthill for the car parade and fallout....

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,671 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

All OPW heritage sites are free for the rest of the year

and there are none in Galway city :rolleyes:

The only OPW sites close to the city are:

Athenry Castle is reachable by public transport from the city. However as public transport is still running at 50% capacity and restricted to "necessary journeys" only, I'm not sure we should recommend it.

The ground of Aughnanure Castle (a tower house outside Oughterard) are also open, and are free to visit. About 1/2 a hours walk from the bus stop in the village. But again - is it a necessary journey?

St Nicholas Market is back at full strength, with a Covid-informed layout making it a nicely-spaced experience. Info about it.

If you like leisure shopping (many don't!), there are some interesting shops - one list is here, there may be other lists in your accommodation

The City Museum is open, but you need to book a ticket - details here.

Because it's before 6 June, lots of things aren't open yet. Street drinking and people watching appears to be the order of the day. Many pubs are now doing takeaway pints, and the drink-it-100-m-away-from-any-pub rule is being ignored unless you're a díck about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Coffee and almond croissant from Gourmet tart (several locations). Bring your swimming togs and walk to Salthill (it’s an easy walk via the Claddagh). Jump off the diving board. Ice cream time! Visit the aquarium if you like fish. Spice bag from Xian street food on quay street on the way home.

Coffee and almond croissant from Gourmet tart (several locations). Bring your swimming togs and walk to Salthill (it’s an easy walk via the Claddagh). Jump off the diving board. Ice cream time! Visit the aquarium if you like fish. Spice bag from Xian street food on quay street on the way home.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The ground of Aughnanure Castle (a tower house outside Oughterard) are also open, and are free to visit. About 1/2 a hours walk from the bus stop in the village. But again - is it a necessary journey?

I would wonder if the Castle is worth the walk to and from.

Advertisement