Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New build issue hydrant

• 27-05-2021 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hello. Just looking for some advice on a new build and and small issue I have only noticed. While paying a visit to the site I noticed in the front garden they have placed fire hydrant sign smack in the middle of the front garden. I have attached two photos. There is also a manhole cover encroaching a small bit too. My question is do I have any say in the placement of these and since the garden is left open onto footpath at the front I was eventually hoping to create a front boundary maybe with some hedging. Am I now prevented from doing this?? Many thanks for any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The hydrant and manhole (assuming the manhole is for shared mains drainage rather than just for your property) should be within the public spaces. Are you sure you would own that grassed area, or is it just at the front of the property you're buying but it's shared green space for the whole development?

Either way, no you have no say in the placement of them. The hydrant especially has to be within minimum/maximum distances from the development and would have been designed as such. You can't undertake works which would contravene or damage the design/installation of shared public amenities.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The hydrant itself will be in the public footpath.
    The yellow sign is simply there to tell the fire service the hydrant location, and the 2 numbers will be the distance from the sign and the diameter of the pipe they need.

When your building your wall in the future, simply remove the yellow sign and secure it to the front face of the wall in the same location.

The concrete pillar is simply a stand for the yellow sign.

Manhole is fine. Could be just an outfall manhole.

I don’t see any issues building a wall here. Subject to local approval (MC) etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I have one of these in the grass in front of my house, I want to pave the strip of grass, is it an offence to remove these?
    I don’t have a wall or fence to mount the plate to anything else?

Well the one I have says S.V on it, i presume it’s the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭chooseusername

XsApollo wrote: »
    I have one of these in the grass in front of my house, I want to pave the strip of grass, is it an offence to remove these?
    I don’t have a wall or fence to mount the plate to anything else?

Well the one I have says S.V on it, i presume it’s the same thing
    Stop Valve?
    could be useful to know

• Subscribers Posts: 40,976 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

SV will be the sluice value on the mains water pipe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Cool, does it have to be on a concrete post and can I remove it?
    If I remove my grass my drive could get 2 cars there but this post will block the other half.
    Can I stick the plate to the footpath or can I move it few metres to the right .And reinstate it.
    Does it have to be concrete post like that or can it be a timber also?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,976 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If you want to increase your parking area you will require planning permission and issues like this will be sorted out during it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,431 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

XsApollo wrote: »
    Cool, does it have to be on a concrete post and can I remove it?
    If I remove my grass my drive could get 2 cars there but this post will block the other half.
    Can I stick the plate to the footpath or can I move it few metres to the right .And reinstate it.
    Does it have to be concrete post like that or can it be a timber also?

Timber post is not robust enough.
    Concrete post on a bed of concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fade out

Gumbo wrote: »
    The hydrant itself will be in the public footpath.
    The yellow sign is simply there to tell the fire service the hydrant location, and the 2 numbers will be the distance from the sign and the diameter of the pipe they need.

When your building your wall in the future, simply remove the yellow sign and secure it to the front face of the wall in the same location.

The concrete pillar is simply a stand for the yellow sign.

Manhole is fine. Could be just an outfall manhole.

I don’t see any issues building a wall here. Subject to local approval (MC) etc.

Many thanks for the reply. Once I know it won't prevent me from building a front boundary in the future then I'm happy.

Advertisement