Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your job & salary

Options

Comments

Sleepy wrote: »
    Absolutely, I'm living in Portrane and have worked in IT for about 18 years so I took a look at the job spec when the role of Head of IT for the new Forensic Mental Health Service was posted and couldn't believe it was so low. Can't remember the exact figure off the top of my head but it was somewhere in the 50-60k range.

My Current position: Lead Data Analytics Consultant in an Irish SME that develop our own Data Consolidation, Analysis and Reporting platform. Salary is a shade over 70k and I rarely work more than 9 to 5:30 (though in non covid years can end up travelling for work a couple of times a month).

Yeah, I've noticed the same in other PS Head of Department type roles. There's a scale and other benefits like pension (which is very good), but you start off at the start of the scale which is relatively low. And despite what people perceive about the PS, I imagine a PS HOD would be a stressful role.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Im a software engineer and I dont know anyone bar people just starting out who are on less than €90k basic. Most would be over €100k.

Which is funny, because its starting out that it is fun and interesting. Then as you get older and more into the bureaucracy and daily grind it just burns you out.

What area? Most I know in software get to a ceiling around €65k. Unless contracting, then yeah its' 100k+ per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭pawdee

Do odd jobs - cash only

What's your hourly rate? I need someone to give a squirrel swimming lessons in Norwegian.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

Secondary teacher. 22hr working week which is the maximum. Roughly 28k* takehome - 3rd year out so still relatively low on the scales. Like many teachers I work for cash during evenings/weekends/summers.

A secure job with a great work-life balance. Plenty of time for nixers, hobbies or starting my own family down the line.

*Edit - approximately 40k gross.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Secondary teacher. 22hr working week which is the maximum. Roughly 28k takehome - 3rd year out so still relatively low on the scales.

Please note that wages should be quoted gross.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

Geuze wrote: »
    Please note that wages should be quoted gross.

Edited.

Because of public sector salary scales, the concept of <100k is insane to many people there. As an example, the role of Director of the National Cybersecurity Centre is unfilled and offers a salary of 89k. Nobody in private sector would take on that role for that money, needs to be at least double

I missed this post, I think we were typing at the same time, but we were making the same point.

While some in the PS can seem to earn very good money when O/T is taken into account, your example (I've not seen the actual advert) would be a good case in point of where they are seriously underpaying.

And have you seen the job spec for these roles, and then for something so serious. Current estimates to fix the HSE IT snafu is €100m. And are they going to get anyone near the job spec from the private sector for that money?

But, again, read the job spec and I bet you'd think they'll be looking for someone that could run the CIA and FBI single handedly. €89k? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

Secondary teacher. 22hr working week which is the maximum. Roughly 28k* takehome - 3rd year out so still relatively low on the scales. Like many teachers I work for cash during evenings/weekends/summers.

A secure job with a great work-life balance. Plenty of time for nixers, hobbies or starting my own family down the line.

*Edit - approximately 40k gross.

When you break that down as an hourly rate over say 33 weeks worked, its €55/hr. Scale that up over normal working hours and weeks, it's nearly a €100k job.

Excellent gig if you're good at it!

Public sector IT grade VII (not HSE)
    57k, could earn north of 100k in private contracting but would hate every minute of it

Public sector IT grade VII (not HSE)

Is the HSE not a subset of the PS, they don't, AFAIK, have a separate pay grade system.

• Advertisement

Is the HSE not a subset of the PS, they don't, AFAIK, have a separate pay grade system.

Apologies, don't get what you're saying here.
    You saying that HSE IT Dept doesn't have grades or that they're the same as the rest of us?

I meant that I'm not in the HSE, before any "fun" comments about past 2 weeks appeared

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MtProsperous

Geuze wrote: »
    A fair point. When I posted it years ago, it was also critiqued by other posters.

I can confirm that newly-qualified accountants in Dublin, are being offered 48k approx. That is for people aged 25 approx, after 6.5-7.5 years of college and training.

This is below the mark for newly qualifieds. Nobody in my cohort took less than €55k in Dublin with 10% bonus and a pension contribution. The people who went to the better paid sectors (aircraft leasing/tech) got a bit more. I'm of the view that the CAI salary survey is probably right for Big Four/MNC/Irish plc types is about right but different sport if you're outside that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

This is below the mark for newly qualifieds. Nobody in my cohort took less than €55k in Dublin with 10% bonus and a pension contribution. The people who went to the better paid sectors (aircraft leasing/tech) got a bit more. I'm of the view that the CAI salary survey is probably right for Big Four/MNC/Irish plc types is about right but different sport if you're outside that.

Thanks, so I can revise my figures upwards.

I must push the kids towards accountancy.

55k at age 26 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

How much do keyboard fixers make?

100 Qwerty an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

kqyZDEi.gif
    :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Elessar wrote: »
    What area? Most I know in software get to a ceiling around €65k. Unless contracting, then yeah its' 100k+ per year.

Graduate developers are starting on ~55k in my current company... base salary. They then get stock and bonus on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MtProsperous

€60k base plus modest bonus and pension - Recently qualified Accountant working in the energy space (semi-state).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭onrail

Don't see many on here, but I'd love to hear what tradespeople are making right now. Roofers, blocklayers, sparks etc.

Have in my head that it would be in the region of €90-150k but could be way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭ebayissues

How much do keyboard fixers make?

LOL

Not enough if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

onrail wrote: »
    Don't see many on here, but I'd love to hear what tradespeople are making right now. Roofers, blocklayers, sparks etc.

Have in my head that it would be in the region of €90-150k but could be way off.

Personally know a sparks that made just shy of 100k last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Personally know a sparks that made just shy of 100k last year.

The good times are back!

BMW 5 series on CPC - yes please!
    Jetski on the credit card - don't mind if I do!
    Go splitsies on a racehorse - sure why not!
    Deck, hot tub, triple vodka red bulls every weekend - sign me up!

I'll blame Fianna Fail when it all goes south.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Skyrimaddict

Regional manager in the community sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I earn 50k and feel way behind reading this thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

Teacher
    57k after 20 years.
    Holidays start today.
    You may commence roasting now.

Pussyhands wrote: »

Why? Are you living comfortably? Work Life balance OK?

As I said earlier, I've opportunity to get 100k but I would never see my kids. Feck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

Pussyhands wrote: »

That's why we on the Share Tips thread :pac: ... Buy AMC folks

Treppen wrote: »
    Teacher
    57k after 20 years.
    Holidays start today.
    You may commence roasting now.

You mean that your holidays started March 2020...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Why? Are you living comfortably? Work Life balance OK?

As I said earlier, I've opportunity to get 100k but I would never see my kids. Feck that.

Well, I house share so not really comfortable no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Pricing Analyst in the medical supplies division of a MNC, €65K salary with 10% pension, health insurance. No bonus, I need to get promoted 1 more level to be eligible for bonuses and stock options but not sure if the extra workload would be worth it. Will probably have a conversation early in Q4 with my manager to see what's involved.

I'm bored in the job and would like to do something different, maybe in a smaller company but when I look for jobs the interesting ones involve a significant paycut and with a kid on the way that's not feasible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Cross country boxing coach - €25k pa.

construction management, 65k, long hours, relentless stress, not even close worth it but the bills just keep coming and need to be paid. I'll be dead from stress by 40 if i keep at this crap

Advertisement