Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Small SUV (Hybrid)

• 27-05-2021 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I was earlier thinking of getting a BEV/PHEV but "range anxiety" is still a thing for me so probably gonna go for a small hybrid SUV.
    Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 MeadowMaker

If you can hang on for an E-Power qashqai that would be my choice.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have you totally discounted a BEV, Kona is an excellent range choice, it is on the small size

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

What sort of driving do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I was earlier thinking of getting a BEV/PHEV but "range anxiety" is still a thing for me so probably gonna go for a small hybrid SUV.
    Any recommendations?

Why would you have range anxiety with a PHEV?

It’s very reason for being is that you have no range anxiety. You run out of electrons, the petrol engine kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭into_the_wild

KCross wrote: »
    Why would you have range anxiety with a PHEV?

It’s very reason for being is that you have no range anxiety. You run out of electrons, the petrol engine kicks in.

I could be wrong but from what I hear, PHEVs are not ideal as they have low electric range (50-60 kms) and also that the vehicle has to carry extra weight of both normal engine as well as electric battery which reduces its efficiency overall.

• Advertisement

If you can hang on for an E-Power qashqai that would be my choice.

Toyota Yaris cross is coming soon as well. Probably around 24-25k price range

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I could be wrong but from what I hear, PHEVs are not ideal as they have low electric range (50-60 kms) and also that the vehicle has to carry extra weight of both normal engine as well as electric battery which reduces its efficiency overall.
    That's true.

An efficient hybrid will be more efficient than a phev, unless you're driving at close to or just above the EV range of the PHEV

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Any recommendations?

The Kona and eNiro are small SUV BEV's with 400km range if range anxiety is an issue.

The Kona and eNiro are small SUV BEV's with 400km range if range anxiety is an issue.

Yeah but they're both priced around 38k which is outside of my 25k budget unfortunately.
    Also the 400 km range is calculated with perfect conditions so I'd say actual on road performance might be less I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 21,357 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yeah but they're both priced around 38k which is outside of my 25k budget unfortunately.
    Also the 400 km range is calculated with perfect conditions so I'd say actual on road performance might be less I guess
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-kona-ev-auto-electric-flash-sale/27643660

• Advertisement

I dont think thats true at all.

Unless you are constantly hurtling up and down the motorways you will find that the PHEV will be significantly better over its lifetime in terms of l/100km than any hybrid you buy but you do have to charge it each day, otherwise its pointless.

Even if you drive a PHEV as a hybrid (i.e. dont charge it) you will still get decent efficiency from it (~5l/100km) on the motorway. See here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111052681&postcount=106

The "carrying extra weight" argument is nonsense really.

In any case, you mentioned that you have range anxiety and are discounting the PHEV as a result. There is no range anxiety with PHEV's.

If your reason for discounting PHEV is not really range anxiety but efficiency then you should look at that again. For "normal" driving you could easily average 2-3l/100km in a PHEV, but it is very much a YMMV figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

If you can stretch slightly, you can get a 191 <30k km Kona for c. €28k.

I dont think thats true at all.

Unless you are constantly hurtling up and down the motorways you will find that the PHEV will be significantly better over its lifetime in terms of l/100km than any hybrid you buy but you do have to charge it each day, otherwise its pointless.

Even if you drive a PHEV as a hybrid (i.e. dont charge it) you will still get decent efficiency from it (~5l/100km) on the motorway. See here
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111052681&postcount=106

The "carrying extra weight" argument is nonsense really.

In any case, you mentioned that you have range anxiety and are discounting the PHEV as a result. There is no range anxiety with PHEV's.

If your reason for discounting PHEV is not really range anxiety but efficiency then you should look at that again. For "normal" driving you could easily average 2-3l/100km in a PHEV, but it is very much a YMMV figure.

Interesting! I didn't realize PHEVs drive as hybrids when not charged. If that's true and also the fact that extra weight isn't really an issue, I might steer towards a PHEV insteaf of a hybrid then :) Thanks

Interesting! I didn't realize PHEVs drive as hybrids when not charged. If that's true and also the fact that extra weight isn't really an issue, I might steer towards a PHEV insteaf of a hybrid then :) Thanks

Lots of them out there. Not sure if they fit your budget or not as I havent looked at prices on them recently but you have the likes of

Niro PHEV
    Golf GTE
    Passat GTE
    Outlander PHEV
    Several Audi's
    Merc c350e(?)
    BMW 330e, 530e
    etc
    etc

All great cars as long as you charge them at home each night.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭PaulRyan97

The Niro is really the best bet I'd say. Available in hybrid, PHEV and BEV. So plenty of choice.

Lots of them out there. Not sure if they fit your budget or not as I havent looked at prices on them recently but you have the likes of

Niro PHEV
    Golf GTE
    Passat GTE
    Outlander PHEV
    Several Audi's
    Merc c350e(?)
    BMW 330e, 530e
    etc
    etc

All great cars as long as you charge them at home each night.

Nice one. Think you've just convinced me to consider PHEVs instead of hybrids. We have a driveway so shouldn't be a bother charging at home either.

Advertisement