Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the incentive to pay for an eye test report when renewing a driving license….

Options
  • 26-05-2021 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

if you have had corrective laser eye surgery since your last application?

Why not just continue saying I wear glasses driving when you don’t?

Have you ever heard a guard say “give us a look at your eyes real quick to make sure you are wearing contacts”

I can’t think of any scenario where paying to have this changed would be of benefit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

T55PLUS wrote: »

Have you ever heard a guard say “give us a look at your eyes real quick to make sure you are wearing contacts”

I can’t think of any scenario where paying to have this changed would be of benefit.

I'm in this situation, I didn't bother. Laser surgery and eyesight perfect but licence says I need lenses. Don't expect it to be an issue. That said, I'm going for an eye test just on the eye health side of things so I'll probably get a report while I'm at it because my licence is expiring soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You can't think of the benefit of having an eye care professional look at your eyes and confirm everything is ok while also ensuring that you don't knowingly falsify a legal document?

That aside, aren't tests free in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,903 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

T55PLUS wrote:

After your surgery they bring you back to test your eyes. This would be a good time to get them to fill in the driving licence report for free

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 T55PLUS

Buddy Bubs wrote: »
    I'm in this situation, I didn't bother. Laser surgery and eyesight perfect but licence says I need lenses. Don't expect it to be an issue. That said, I'm going for an eye test just on the eye health side of things so I'll probably get a report while I'm at it because my licence is expiring soon.

Apparently it's a different test from a regular eye test, I phoned Specsavers having had an eye test less than 6 months ago with them and they said it's a different test and it will cost €20.

You can't think of the benefit of having an eye care professional look at your eyes and confirm everything is ok while also ensuring that you don't knowingly falsify a legal document?

My vision is better than 20/20, I had the surgery many years ago but my license is only expiring now. I get my eyes tested every two years as recommended. "knowingly falsify a legal document", without any repercussions though.. which either means that it needs to be amended or there is some information I am missing regarding the requirement and thus the reason for the discussion.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    After your surgery they bring you back to test your eyes. This would be a good time to get them to fill in the driving licence report for free

Not when I had my eyes lasered many years ago and the eye report needs to be within 6 months of the application.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tests for licences aren't free in any circumstances.

A test for normal purposes and extremely basic glasses are free for most people but not everyone, this can cause some confusion

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

OP, have you checked with the company that did the surgery? Many of them offer free aftercare for life and mine said that they would be able to do the driving licence cert under that when the time came. I haven't tried it yet, but that will be my first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Yeah I'm not sure I would have paid for it. Luckily I had a friend who worked in Specsavers so got it done for free. The place I got my zap zap done went out of business within a year of my op - thankfully no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you aren't waring your glasses, the Garda can subject you to a roadside eyesight test.

Advertisement