Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you object to Council Planning permission?

Options
  • 27-05-2021 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Can you object to council planning permission?
    Is there a point?

A notice just went up in my area to build on a green space across from our house (and many other peoples houses)

Our kids use this green space daily. We (a few neighbors) even cut the grass ourselves so it stays nice for the kids to play on.

I know you can object to planning permission, but since this is a council area and they own the land etc,,, is there a point in objecting,, Will they just do it and not care about the objections?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,208 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

They need to get planning so the process is the same, whether it makes any difference..
    However, if u dont object you cant go to ABP

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

From what I've read, you can't object to it if you don't like it.. I'd need to have bigger reasons,

The only main reason I have is the kids play there... and they could simply say the kids can play here or there. etc.

How do you object?
    Here is the plan https://consult.sdublincoco.ie/en/consultation/south-dublin-county-council-proposed-development-social-housing-project-independent-living-older-0

To object do you need to "Make a Submissions" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

What are they proposing to build?

6 No. 1 Bedroom 1 storey houses (2 persons)
    2 No. 2 Bedroom 1 storey houses (3 persons)
    2 No. 1 Bedroom Ground Floor Apartments (2 person)
    2 No. 1 Bedroom First Floor Apartments (2 person)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

You can object of course, but realistically you could be hard pressed to make a case. If it were I, I would try and mitigate that a playground or soccer pitch for example are included so as facilities are available for kids and the extra kids that these new units will attract.

Get a copy of the latest county development plan and yourself and your neighbours trawl through that. I'm loathe to object to housing in the midst of a housing crisis so try and get some concessions and safeguards in instead.
    Just my opinion fwiw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

If the Council are making a "Part 8" Planning application, you have six weeks to make a submission.

The submissions will be evaluated by the Council's planners.

All the submissions will form part of the Chief Executive's Report, that will be placed before the Councillors for approval/rejection.

That's my understanding of the process anyway.

NeVeR wrote: »
    From what I've read, you can't object to it if you don't like it.. I'd need to have bigger reasons,

The only main reason I have is the kids play there... and they could simply say the kids can play here or there. etc.

How do you object?
    Here is the plan https://consult.sdublincoco.ie/en/consultation/south-dublin-county-council-proposed-development-social-housing-project-independent-living-older-0

To object do you need to "Make a Submissions" ?

You're correct, at least partly anyway, about objecting. You can't say "I don't want that there because I don't like it"......or, you can, but it'll be ignored. The only thing you can really object about is the effects it will have on your properties or on the surrounding area. You'd need to find a planning reason, essentially, to object.

Best bet.....You can have a look at the planning history of the area to see what other developments were refused in the vicinity, and use those same reasons. You could even quote those reasons word for word..e.g.....
    "according to the council's own planning report in planning register reference SDxx/2017, this road is unsuitable for any increase in traffic as it would be contrary to the proper planning and sustainable development of the area."
    . You can check the ABP site for the same type of thing.

Any anyone help me understand the terminology being used?

We want to submit an objection to this planning application.

On SDCC site - https://consult.sdublincoco.ie/en/consultation/south-dublin-county-council-proposed-development-social-housing-project-independent-living-older-0

They have something called a "Submission" is this how you submit an objection? - they have a button on the top right (on desktop)

Near the bottom of the page is also has details about the "Submission" saying you can post in something.

But as far as I was aware, you need to pay €20 to submit an objection - So if doing this submission thing really putting in an objection? or just adding a comment?

Also, I was on pleanala.ie and reading this page https://www.pleanala.ie/en-IE/Observation-on-a-strategic-housing-development-app
    Which goes over what you need to do to put in an "observation"

This site does state you need €20, but also says you need a "An Bord Pleanála case reference number" but I can't find one of those on the SDCC site.

So, is it a case that SDCC don't need permission from Plaenala.ie ?

If anyone can help me please reach out.. maybe with some steps or something !!.. thanks

Hi,

You need to submit an observation in one of these ways (both are valid):

1. Click "Make a Submission" on the website (you will have to register an account)

or

2. Write to the Senior Executive Officer at the postal address provided

At this point, you are raising an objection (making an observation) to the Council. They will take all the observations on board in a Chief Executive's Report.

The Councillors have to approve, reject or modify a Part VIII at a Council meeting.

From checking the internet, it seems that An Bord Pleanala does not get involved in Part VIII applications

The final decision rests with the Councillors - but I'm no expert.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Hi,

You need to submit an observation in one of these ways (both are valid):

1. Click "Make a Submission" on the website (you will have to register an account)

or

2. Write to the Senior Executive Officer at the postal address provided

At this point, you are raising an objection (making an observation) to the Council. They will take all the observations on board in a Chief Executive's Report.

The Councillors have to approve, reject or modify a Part VIII at a Council meeting.

From checking the internet, it seems that An Bord Pleanala does not get involved in Part VIII applications

The final decision rests with the Councillors - but I'm no expert.

Thanks for your reply.

Have you done this before, I've registered on SDCC already. Do you know if they take Credit card payments online?

When you say "The final decision rests with the Councillors" do you mean the local Councillors / TDs ? Also, is there a way to confirm if this is true? - thanks.

• Advertisement

There's no payment involved.

You are registering on their Online Consultation Portal for the right to make an observation/submission to the Council ("Make a Submission")

Yes - the local County Councillors will convene for their scheduled monthly meeting and the Part VIII Chief Executive's Report will be an agenda item to discuss.

If the local community give the Councillors a lot of grief about the proposal, the Councillors might feel "which way the wind is blowing".

As a result, you could get some Councillors to support your cause.

However, objecting to Social Housing during an accommodation crisis could be a bad career mistake for them - unless the entire community has rallied behind you.

SDCC would be able to advise if appeals can be made to An Bord Pleanala after a Part VIII is approved.

Some Councils' websites seem to indicate that Councillors make the final decision.... and there is no recourse to An Bord Pleanala.

However, I reckon it's better for you to email SDCC and An Bord Pleanala to get a reply from an expert (rather than a novice like me)

Advertisement