Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New learner looking to buy car

Options
  • 27-05-2021 10:58am

Hi All,
    I am a new learner driver looking to buy a car to practice after my lessons.
    I have no lessons done and cant move a car yet.
    I have seen some ads on Donedeal, CarsIreland, CarZone, and have talked to some dealers and mechanics.

The car i like is KIA C'eed or Pro C'eed. 2 dealers that i have seen with this car in my budget seem to have bad reviews of selling write offs to customers on google.

I have seen some ads on Donedeal and facebook but I dont trust some of these sellers. One 2010 kia c'eed is going for 2k, while the other is 3k. Some say they bought them from dealers and are reselling. What if there are any issues.

I am looking more favourably to buying from the previous owner themself. Please do you have any advise for me?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Righty

emulsifier wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I am a new learner driver looking to buy a car to practice after my lessons.
    I have no lessons done and cant move a car yet.
    I have seen some ads on Donedeal, CarsIreland, CarZone, and have talked to some dealers and mechanics.

The car i like is KIA C'eed or Pro C'eed. 2 dealers that i have seen with this car in my budget seem to have bad reviews of selling write offs to customers on google.

I have seen some ads on Donedeal and facebook but I dont trust some of these sellers. One 2010 kia c'eed is going for 2k, while the other is 3k. Some say they bought them from dealers and are reselling. What if there are any issues.

I am looking more favourably to buying from the previous owner themself. Please do you have any advise for me?

I wouldn't bother buying a car until lessons are completed, lessons take longer than people think they're going to take, most instructors will do 1 a week so that's 3 months of having a car sitting in the driveway which is pointless. Wait until you build your confidence up then decide which car to go for, insurance is sky high these days aswell so if you do decide to buy a car to practice on after lessons make sure you can get insured on it, depending on your age certain cars are a nightmare, kia ceed is easily insured however.

Thanks @Righty for getting back to me.
    The instructor said i need to practice after my first lesson and would not want to take me if i wont be practicing.
    There is such a backlog that they are overbooked these days.
    Also, I dont have any family or friends that i could be using their car to practice.
    Hence why i want to get my car

Hmm strange thing for an instructor to say, my instructor a few years ago told me he only wanted me to practice during lessons so as to not build any bad habits and build confidence before driving without him, maybe you should think of switching instructors? I don't think that's the norm.

ok, i think i would that. I havent had a the first lesson with him yet so i can change.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Righty wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother buying a car until lessons are completed, lessons take longer than people think they're going to take, most instructors will do 1 a week so that's 3 months of having a car sitting in the driveway which is pointless. Wait until you build your confidence up then decide which car to go for, insurance is sky high these days aswell so if you do decide to buy a car to practice on after lessons make sure you can get insured on it, depending on your age certain cars are a nightmare, kia ceed is easily insured however.

1 a week what are you talking about. Instructors will do multiple a week and some do two at a time consecutively. You can have them done in three weeks easy.

Get the car and do the lessons as soon as possible then try to get as much experience with a full license driver with you over the coming months using what the instructor taught you. Then do 1or 2 pre tests with the instructor before your full test to ensure you have not picked up any bad habits. I know plenty of drivers that do this and are full license (N plate) within a year

• Advertisement

1 a week what are you talking about. Instructors will do multiple a week and some do two at a time consecutively. You can have them done in three weeks easy.

Get the car and do the lessons as soon as possible then try to get as much experience with a full license driver with you over the coming months using what the instructor taught you. Then do 1or 2 pre tests with the instructor before your full test to ensure you have not picked up any bad habits. I know plenty of drivers that do this and are full license (N plate) within a year

1 a week is standard, if you want to go quicker you can but it's pointless as you have to have to wait 6 months to even be able to apply for your driving test anyways so most do 1 a week. As for getting the car, the op has just stated no full license driver would be available for them to practice with and how are they supposed to transport the car home? Waiting and being patient is the best thing to do, having a car sitting there that you can't drive is pointless.

Edit: apologies read that wrong, thought the op didn't have anyone to practice which is incorrect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

Are you allowed practise until you have done the initial 12?

Are you sure the instructor is not telling you to buy more lessons off them?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Righty wrote: »
    1 a week is standard, if you want to go quicker you can but it's pointless as you have to have to wait 6 months to even be able to apply for your driving test anyways so most do 1 a week. As for getting the car, the op has just stated no full license driver would be available for them to practice with and how are they supposed to transport the car home? Waiting and being patient is the best thing to do, having a car sitting there that you can't drive is pointless.

Edit: apologies read that wrong, thought the op didn't have anyone to practice which is incorrect

The best way to pass the test is experience. The more time the better. The more familiar he is with the car the better. Which is why I say get the car do the lessons ASAP and practice then

Advertisement