Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EUR low/medium risk ideas?

Options
  • 26-05-2021 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Looking to buy some shares (or maybe etfs or similar) on Degiro..

Don't want currency conversion to USD, not too bothered if dividends or not.
    Any tips? Transaction fees seem to be high enough on many of the EUR exchanges. Not looking for high risk shares.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭JPup

The sensible option is to buy a Eurozone index fund.

If you are looking for a relatively low risk individual company, maybe Hibernia REIT? Quite easy to understand and monitor. It's mostly a portfolio of Dublin office buildings. The dividend yield is between 4.5% and 5% and its trades at a big discount to NAV (€1.17 vs €1.72). You can get more info on their website. I don't own any FYI and have no connection to the company. They had Q1 results out earlier which is why it's fresh in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭travist

Thanks JPup, Interesting and I hadn't considered a REIT,
    I'll check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

travist wrote: »
    Don't want currency conversion to USD,

Why would that matter? FX slippage and Transaction fees can be offset against your Capital Gains tax. That €7.50 on FRA and SWX and stuff is brutal compared to NYS/NDQ tbf, but it's irrelevant if you're planning to realise profit.

pioneerpro wrote: »
    Why would that matter? FX slippage and Transaction fees can be offset against your Capital Gains tax. That €7.50 on FRA and SWX and stuff is brutal compared to NYS/NDQ tbf, but it's irrelevant if you're planning to realise profit.
    Thanks PP, that's interesting to hear that FX slippage can be offset. So you mean a devaluation of USD against EUR is deductible?

So say I invest 7K EUR to buy 10K USD shares... Shares do well, rise to $20K in a few years..Decide to sell, so they convert back and say are worth EUR 12k.... Do you mean that by FX slippage? That the 2K EUR is tax deductible?

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

travist wrote: »
    Thanks PP, that's interesting to hear that FX slippage can be offset. So you mean a devaluation of USD against EUR is deductible?

So say I invest 7K EUR to buy 10K USD shares... Shares do well, rise to $20K in a few years..Decide to sell, so they convert back and say are worth EUR 12k.... Do you mean that by FX slippage? That the 2K EUR is tax deductible?

Make it even simpler. Click into your stock on Degiro and offset the bit underline.

image.png

• Advertisement

this really helped...can avoid those EUR transaction fees, as you say, they are a bit much.

Advertisement