Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GBNews will be in HD on Freesat Channel No 216

Options
  • 30-04-2021 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭

Subscribed to their Email list to keep an eye on things as they develop

Just received the following:
    Hi Liam

Welcome to the GB News community.

As you know, we're hard at work building Britain's News Channel and we can't wait for you to meet our news family. We're committed to telling the stories that really matter to you, and celebrating the people of the United Kingdom.

We're excited to announce our new Freesat channel number 216, and that GB News HD will be available for viewers on Sky, Virgin Media and Freesat.

You'll also be able to join us on Freeview and YouView channels 236, as well as Virgin Media, Sky and online.

Hopefully if it takes off Sky News might decide to transmit Sky News HD FTA too

Anyway just wanted to post the new info for the board

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will be interesting how it does, they have signed up a selection of big names for launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

more news? no thanks, its nothing but bad news out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mainly comment I think, news is expensive. Talk is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

fryup wrote: »
    more news? no thanks, its nothing but bad news out there

The name makes me think it'll be some sort of little Englander ukip, fox news style, propaganda channel. I'm willing to be proved wrong, but not willing to Google it in case I'm right and istart getting targeted ads based on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

It'll be an improvement but might be too tame for what is needed. Would like to see Julia Hartley Brewer and James Dellingpole on there. But Dellingpole is probably too 'out there' for Andrew Neil at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

McGaggs wrote: »
    The name makes me think it'll be some sort of little Englander ukip, fox news style, propaganda channel. I'm willing to be proved wrong, but not willing to Google it in case I'm right and istart getting targeted ads based on it.

I don’t expect it to resemble Fox News too much in terms of outlook- the U.K. regulatory authorities (Ofcom) will come down on it like a ton of bricks if it’s too overtly one-sided. Fox News itself is gone from the U.K. (and Ireland) because it kept getting fined for breaches of U.K. regulatory codes. Broadcast news in the U.K. is required to be impartial (no such requirement exists in the US) and although GB News seems that it will be more talking heads than actual news reports, they’ll still need to have their eye on the clock.

Where it will likely resemble Fox News (and most US news channels) is the fact that this is likely to have more talking heads programmes than actual news. I think this in itself might be an undoing. The British public isn’t used to personality driven news programmes in that way (Piers Morgan on GMB maybe an exception, but one which didn’t end well). Sky News tried it in 2005 and ran a mile from it after a few months. They’ve also had other examples like Richard Littlejohn’s programmes in the past which weren’t well received. Just don’t expect the U.K. version of Sean Hannity or Bill O’Reilly is what I’m saying.

Obnoxious/controversial talk works better on radio. The costs are tiny and it's a more personal, individual experience medium.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Obnoxious/controversial talk works better on radio. The costs are tiny and it's a more personal, individual experience medium.

And this is why NewsUK have backed out of their plans to create a right-wing news TV channel - its going to just be some video content based on the existing radio stations instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

didn't George Galloway have a show on on TalkSport a few years back? spouting his far left propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

fryup wrote: »
    didn't George Galloway have a show on on TalkSport a few years back? spouting his far left propaganda

George was on Talk radio. But also on Russia Today TV

• Advertisement
    M

George was on Talk radio. But also on Russia Today TV

Yes he regularly does shows on RT, this from yesterday...
    https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1kvJpoEbrLdGE

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

liamtech wrote: »
    Hopefully if it takes off Sky News might decide to transmit Sky News HD FTA too

With Bloomberg, CNBC, CNN, NHK World, France 24, Al Jazeera, TRT World, Arirang and WION currently all broadcasting in HD and FTA, I don't see Sky News HD going to change just because GB News is just about to launch a new News channel FTA in HD unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

With Bloomberg, CNBC, CNN, NHK World, France 24, Al Jazeera, TRT World, Arirang, and WION currently all broadcasting in HD and FTA, I don't see Sky News HD going to change just because GB News is just about to launch a new News channel FTA in HD unfortunately

You can and the BBC World News, 10 years now in HD. DW News and Euronews on Astra 1 19e. Sky News HD no matter where you are in Europe is behind a paywall. When GB news starts, it may give Sky a kick in the ass. They have had an independent monopoly since 1986.

M

Here's a tweet from yesterday, I'd say it's a good 2 weeks plus away from launch...
    https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1393241631848112129

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

Spotted EPG data on their test channel yesterday.

That has been officially denied now, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

Does anyone know is there a GB news Picon available to download for a Zgemma H7S

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

BuzzG wrote: »
    Spotted EPG data on their test channel yesterday.

Will it be on Sky’s Irish epg I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

lgs 4 wrote: »
    Does anyone know is there a GB news Picon available to download for a Zgemma H7S

Try this:-

553554.png

• Advertisement

Conflicting reports about that - Andrew Neil said it would be available in Ireland when he signed up but nobody else has since, though I don’t think anyone has officially come out and said it wouldn’t be.

It’ll be FTA anyway, so any curious Sky viewer can go down to Manual Tuning to have a look if they are that way inclined.

icdg wrote: »
    Conflicting reports about that - Andrew Neil said it would be available in Ireland when he signed up but nobody else has since, though I don’t think anyone has officially come out and said it wouldn’t be.

It’ll be FTA anyway, so any curious Sky viewer can go down to Manual Tuning to have a look if they are that way inclined.

According to this article,Neil wants it available globally! Ireland is mentioned too!

https://www.irishnews.com/magazine/entertainment/2020/09/25/news/andrew-neil-announces-gb-news-channel-to-rival-bbc-and-sky-2078976/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭liamtech

icdg wrote: »

Interesting - thats the day of Englands first Euro 2020(2021) match

is it just me, or is that Odd? I mean Win Loose or Draw, is anyone gonna be paying attention?

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Delta2113

zorro2566 wrote: »

- Very old article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Here's the frequency: 11307 V 27500 5/6

liamtech wrote: »
    Interesting - thats the day of Englands first Euro 2020(2021) match

is it just me, or is that Odd? I mean Win Loose or Draw, is anyone gonna be paying attention?

A very soft launch and possibly a very long lunch for Andrew Neil and friends.

Any word on Murdoch's channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Any word on Murdoch's channel?

Won't be going ahead as a standalone channel:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/apr/27/rupert-murdoch-scales-back-plan-for-news-uk-tv-channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

It's now on Sky 515 on both ROI and UK boxes and Freesat 216 ahead of its 13th June launch (HD only)

Advertisement