Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New machine €1000 budget

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,503 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you like coffee then Bean to cup all the time.
    Not sure that's a logical conclusion. If you like consistency and convenience, bean to cup. If you like control and flexibility, separate grinder and espresso machine. If you like coffee, go with whatever works best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Surely there is no difference in bean to cup and ready ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

bilbot79 wrote: »

There is a difference in grinding reasonably freshly roasted beans yourself and using bought pre-ground coffee that is usually significantly less fresh.

If by ready-ground you mean you ground the beans yourself in a separate grinder, then you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Just put in a new kitchen & found an ex display Siemens built in one from a kitchen showroom in Wicklow (not the place I bought my kitchen from). It was never used. Bought for €500, retails at €2,400!
    If you like coffee then Bean to cup all the time. But do shop about, can spot good buys.
    Previously I had a Gaggia, it cost me about €700 to buy at the time and lasted me 8 years before dying... I drink. A lot of coffee (sometimes 8 a day) so definitely got my money’s worth.

Very near fit-out, looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Planet X wrote: »
    Started on a Gaggia Classic also....with a Baratza encore. Great coffee for a starter.

Now on a Rocket :pac: and Compak K3. Happy so far......
    With all the money some people are saving with lockdown/pubs......................treat yourself.

(Let yer man treat himself with the €1000 car :) )

Enjoy your coffee. Please try not to spill any of it down on me from that high horse :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Enjoy your coffee. Please try not to spill any of it down on me from that high horse :rolleyes:

If you've nothing constructive to contribute please consider refraining from posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

Etnies wrote: »
    Think I'm gonna go with the Oscar II, the ability to do milk and coffee at same time is a big plus for me, still looking at grinders at the moment

If you get the Oscar let us know how you get on with it. I think I’m just going to wait save a bit longer and buy the silvia pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭fits

bilbot79 wrote: »

Huge difference. We were nearly in a cold sweat at thought of running out of beans this week. Delivery came just in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭babybuilder

cnocbui wrote: »
    https://www.homecoffeemachines.ie/collections/quickmill/products/quick-mill-silvano-04005

Quickmill Silvano. It has two thermoblocks, rather than boilers, a 600w one for the coffee and 1000w one for steam, and it has a PID and is €1000

Quick-Mill-Silvano-Review-Silvano-Coffee-Dino.webp

Have the Silvano for abour two years now. Great machine. Has a Gaggia Classic before that. Also had a Francino for a while. I'd say the Silvano is marginally better wuth the PID. Mind you the Francino piccino always produced consistently good shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

I almost bought an Oscar II recently myself but decided against it for a couple of reasons. Now I don't have first hand knowledge of the issue but I've seen a defect in it pointed out - that the pressure through the system is 15bar which is way too high.

Machine can be modified easily to bring it back down to 9 bar and I even found an Italian site that sells the machine already modified but only possible on the pour over model not the plumb in one. And I want to plumb mine in.

https://www.elektros.it/pl/en/oscar_II_nuova-Simonelli/oscar-II-black_professional_pack_55.html

Seeing 3FE charging what they are for the OscarII left me a miffed I have to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭JohnnyMustang22

No harm in setting an upper limit on your budget but I would also ask yourself how much effort you are willing to invest in brewing coffee at home. Some people want "good" coffee which can be achieved with the touch of a button and others are happy to spend time dialling in and tweaking a grinder and machine to get an amazing coffee. I fall in the latter category and found it somewhat frustrating at the start. Its taken me nearly 2 years to get to a point where I am very very happy with my coffee at home. There are many variables which can alter the end result. (I also went on a Home Barista course to get to grips with science of coffee extraction.)

I started off with a Rocket Apartmento/Eureaka Mignon combo and have since upgraded to a Rocket Chronometro for the PID temperature control, Rotary pump and mains plumbing. I am very happy with my setup now.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Tonsil

"I got a lelit elizabeth [/QUOTE]"

Can you tell me the size of the hole in the top of the water tank on the Elizabeth, please? It's so I can check the size of filters that can be fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mariopepper

I'm checking amazon right now and found several options. Despite my budget is $2000 I've noticed Jura ENA 8. Now I am also reading its review. If you're interested - read more. Besides I can mention a good option < 1000$, which is Jura D6 Automatic Coffee Machine. These two are best ones as for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Now I am also reading its review. If you're interested - read more
    I liked this part , it is gold :
    The Jura 15284 coffee machine uses premium brewing techniques to create coffee for your brew. While most coffee machines use drip technology to brew their coffee, this one uses pressure techniques to get a more potent brew.
    Don’t know about machine, review is hopeless though , hopefully they didn’t pay much for it.
    ps. funny fact though,
    Jura ,Siemens,Nivona, Mellita and many more coffee machines manufactured by same company , probably on a very same factory ,Eugster Frismag AG

• Registered Users Posts: 18 selle italia

https://www.bertazzofood.com/prodotto/nuova-simonelli-oscar-ii-nera/
    I ordered this yesterday . Seems like a great deal. Free postage also.

Cheers for the heads up, ordered one today, good deal all round. Coming from a dedica with open portafilter and basket. For existing owners is it essential to do the cooling flush for 2/3 seconds. Also re maintenance is a back flush required, seems conflicting advice online and no blank basket included. I reckon the steaming of milk will be a steep learning curve with the amount of power it generates.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Cheers for the heads up, ordered one today, good deal all round. Coming from a dedica with open portafilter and basket. For existing owners is it essential to do the cooling flush for 2/3 seconds. Also re maintenance is a back flush required, seems conflicting advice online and no blank basket included. I reckon the steaming of milk will be a steep learning curve with the amount of power it generates.

Yeah a quick flush after it's been heating up for a while is necessary. Would always recommend backflushing regardless of the machine, 3fe sell blank discs if you need em.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭bergipau

I bit the bullet and placed an order for the Lelit Elizabeth, should be arriving tomorrow. I ordered it from www.baristafy.ie, I was dealing with Ben on the site and he was very helpful. I was between the Elizabeth, maraX and the silvia pro, he was able to give good advice and I settled on the Elizabeth. The reason I choose it was dual boiler's & programmable pre-infusion.

Hey Ethnies,

For 1k id be looking at something along the lines of the Nuova Simonelli Oscar 2 and a Eureka Mignon combo. Reputable website below whom I have purchased x 2 machines and grinders from with no problems. I had a Muscia previously and didnt cause me any problems. Any spare parts were orders from elektros too.

https://www.elektros.it/ie/en/oscar_II_nuova-Simonelli/oscar-II-black.html

Hope this helps,
    R

Does the Oscar 2 go to 9 bar? I see online a guy on about having to mod it back from 15 to 9 bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭wilsixon

Does the Oscar 2 go to 9 bar? I see online a guy on about having to mod it back from 15 to 9 bar?

Not out of the factory. But the opv mod is cheap and very simple to do, and changes it to 9 bar.

That seller sells the opv kit, and will do the mod for you if you buy your Oscar from them.

https://www.elektros.it/ie/en/opv_oscar_II.html

wilsixon wrote: »
    Not out of the factory. But the opv mod is cheap and very simple to do, and changes it to 9 bar.

That seller sells the opv kit, and will do the mod for you if you buy your Oscar from them.

I might buy a eureka mignon and a gaggia classic then mod the classic.

I have a wilfa filter and grinder set up at the minute, its ok but the filter coffee lack a bit of flavour for me. Like the odd espresso as well.

• Advertisement

I might buy a eureka mignon and a gaggia classic then mod the classic.

I have a wilfa filter and grinder set up at the minute, its ok but the filter coffee lack a bit of flavour for me. Like the odd espresso as well.

The gaggia classic is a good machine. But not in the same league as the oscar ok. I had gaggia classic for 8 years before upgrading to Oscar ok last year. Huge improvement.

The gaggia classic is a good machine. But not in the same league as the oscar ok. I had gaggia classic for 8 years before upgrading to Oscar ok last year. Huge improvement.
    Thanks, what kind of mods would I need? A pressure mod and a new basket for the oscar?

I mainly drink americanos and espresso. I dont like milk and coffee, I think you lose the flavour.

Thanks, what kind of mods would I need? A pressure mod and a new basket for the oscar?

I mainly drink americanos and espresso. I dont like milk and coffee, I think you lose the flavour.

For €30 the opv mod is a no brainer for me.

I use a vst 18g basket in mine - but I already had that from my gaggia days. The basket that comes with the oscar looks good to me, so start with that.

Get a water filter jug if you don't already have one.

My understanding is obviously lacking - why would anyone need or want to modify a well made espresso machine, and am I interpreting it right that people want to reduce the pressure a machine can produce - if so - why?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

My understanding is obviously lacking - why would anyone need or want to modify a well made espresso machine, and am I interpreting it right that people want to reduce the pressure a machine can produce - if so - why?

Good explainer on pressure for espresso extraction here:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Just wanted some opinions on these two, a sage bambino plus and seperate sage grinder or the Oscar 2 ?

Has anyone used either of these?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Good explainer on pressure for espresso extraction here:

I'm afraid my BS alarm went off a few times and I had to bail.

I'm afraid my BS alarm went off a few times and I had to bail.

The difference between an OK-ish coffee and a good coffee are all those small margins - and the pressure is actually a pretty big "small margin".

Your BS alarm might need some after-factory-modification - James Hoffman knows what he's on about (even if he does come across as a little pretentious!)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

If you are wondering why people would want to reduce the pressure of a machine I think he does a pretty good job of explaining why a lower pressure (than 15 bar) would produce better tasting coffee.

The better question would be why machines are set to 15 bar in the first place.

• Advertisement

The difference between an OK-ish coffee and a good coffee are all those small margins - and the pressure is actually a pretty big "small margin".

Your BS alarm might need some after-factory-modification - James Hoffman knows what he's on about (even if he does come across as a little pretentious!)

No, I'm fine thanks and my BS alarm has a lifetimes refinement and a great track record.

As one example: he stated that he didn't like a mechanical pre infusion because it would shatter the puck and cause channeling. He also pointed out that when you wet grounds, they swell and expand slightly, he also said too high a pressure would compress and compact the puck. The latter two, IMO, contradict the former I do not believe an inrush of pressure to a puck of wet coffee grounds is going to 'shatter' it nor will there be channeling. The pressure and swelling of the grounds will, I think, compact the puck as he mentioned later, correctly. You can't crack and form channels in a liquid, only a solid - and no, a coffee grounds water slurry doesn't constitute an Oobleck. A wetted puck under pressure with liquid is not a solid. I’d like to give James a bucket of wet, freshly mixed concrete, and a hammer, and see him attempt to propagate cracks through the mix from top to bottom.

I would strongly suspect channeling is purely a surface tension driven phenomenon wherein dry powders can repel water to certain degree - as anyone who's mixed cement and water would have observed - so parts of a puck remain dry for most of the shot with most of the flow taking a path of least resistance via the wetted channels. I'd bet that a well wetted puck can't channel, barring grossly coarse grounds and a poorly designed or blocked/malfunctioning shower plate.

He reminds me of HiFi audio geeks who believe in cables and wires having special audible properties never before identified, measured or commented on by materials scientists and electrical engineers. He's not quite into the territory of the man selling the green marker pen you colour the edge of your CDs with to audibly improve how the laser beam passes through it and who's detector is outputting a digital bitstream, but he's a cousin.

If he or anyone can point me to a proper paper based on experiments with 3D ultrasound images showing channeling in coffee mud, I'll happily eat my words, but given there seems to be only a single paper measuring and quantifying the actual processes that occur in a Mocha pot, explaining why to avoid, I'd have some doubt as to anyone having produced such a paper.

With my machine, assuming it's pressure guage is accurate, 9 bar would coincide with too coarse a grind and the extraction of a 9g shot would be over in seconds. I'd most commonly be doing shots at 12-14 bar. So basically the pressure is being determined by the grind setting and needs to be in that range to achieve a more reasonable flow rate.

Advertisement